Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneideritis?

Schneideritis?

Hi, I would like to know the opinon of the large format community about Schneider lenses that are effected by "Schneideritis".

Do you feel there are any optical issues associated with this condition?

Is the lens worth less because of it?

I appreciate your thoughts.

Tim

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Schneideritis?

No effect on images. “Worth less” depends on if your buying, selling, using, or collecting.

Thanks Brian. I have one to sell and one that I want to buy, so I would like input on both scenarios.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    No effect on images. “Worth less” depends on if your buying, selling, using, or collecting.

It's a cosmetic issue, no impact.

The barrel inside is black to prevent any stray light generation from rays ending thete, so in theory those "white spots" may generate some stray light, but if you inspect the open lens from the ground glass position you won't see much any spots, in any case they are not bright to be a concern, and at the usual shooting apertures I guess it would be really difficult for any ray reflected in the "spots" to reach the film.

IMHO Schneideritis has no impact in the image, and if it's able to generate a minuscle flare amount this is much, much, much smaller that the flare generated in other ways.

IMHO, anyway, it has no sense being concerned by Schneideritis while not using a very well adjusted compendium shade, which would generate hundreds or thousands times more flare.

What about internal dust production...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    What about internal dust production...
    Randy, Schneideritis is not produced in the barrel wall that is in contact with air, it is produced in the side of the glass that is in contact with the barrel, no paint is released... simply those are spots in the lens side that should be making contact with the barrel and don't. An "optic effect" makes think that problem is in the barrel free wall, but's not like that.

At all, internal haze and internal dust are not related to Schneideritis, IMHO.

To remove Schneideritis we have to remove the group and painting its side... the glass that's touching the barrel.

Even if the issue around optical defects is arguable, it would seem logical to me that the value of the lens would be less whether you are a buyer or a seller.

What are your thoughts about that?

as someone who has bought and sold quite a bit on the used market- yes, the price would likely need to be less than a lens with no issues. How much depends I think on the frequency the lens appears on the used market- if you have lots of them available and would like to sell it- you will need to entice the buyer with potentially a significantly lower price. If its appearance on the for sale blocks is less frequent, then IMHO a small decrease in price to maybe no decrease in price may result in a sale.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layton View Post
    Thanks Brian. I have one to sell and one that I want to buy, so I would like input on both scenarios.

Thanks
    Generally speaking I’ve observed: Lower selling price; lower buying price.