Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling on all owners of Hypergon lenses...or those with knowledge/experience of them

Calling on all owners of Hypergon lenses...or those with knowledge/experience of them

I am hoping I can get some direct measurements and information from anyone who happens to own a Hypergon lens, of any focal length! Also, paging Nodda Duma...or anyone else with lens design / manufacturing expertise.

I have acquired a batch of optical elements which the seller claims to be Hypergon lens elements. These are extremely curved elements that certainly look the part. I took a gamble on these because it seems possible, and I have 3 sets.

I would love to have some direct measurement of Hypergon elements from owners, that could perhaps point me in the right direction as to what focal length these would be for and/or other information that might help me nail down what I've got - for example, what is the separation between elements for a given focal length? Is the design simply enlarged for each size up?

I know that mounting/making these into actual lenses will not be easy or cheap but I am hoping I can somehow, and then get 3 more lenses out into the wild. Well, 2 anyway, as I'll keep one!

Here's some photos that the seller posted. Note the number written on the element. The elements themselves are about an inch and a half wide - quite large really, which makes me wonder if it's one of the longer focal lengths.

Thanks!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Calling on all owners of Hypergon lenses...or those with knowledge/experience of

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I am hoping I can get some direct measurements and information from anyone who happens to own a Hypergon lens, of any focal length!

- for example, what is the separation between elements for a given focal length? Is the design simply enlarged for each size up?

Thanks!
    Wow! And somehow you think that someone who owns a Hypergon lens will take it apart to measure the separation between elements and tell you that?
    Continue to dream! Good luck!

Re: Calling on all owners of Hypergon lenses...or those with knowledge/experience of

Pfsor, please refrain from commenting unless you have something helpful to add to the discussion. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Pfsor, please refrain from commenting unless you have something helpful to add to the discussion. Thanks!
    Isn't it helpful to say that you're out of reality with your expectations? Then continue to dream.
    What precision would you like to encounter in the measurements? Would it be enough with some mm decimals? Once again - good luck!

Corran, as a last case scenario I have used patent application drawings to calculate lens spacing. It takes a bit of doing, as well as (perhaps foolish) hope that the patent illustrations reflect the reality, but it worked for me.

Jason, that's exactly what I was looking for - perhaps someone has or knows of a resource that shows technical drawings. You never know. Thanks for a helpful response.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Corran, as a last case scenario I have used patent application drawings to calculate lens spacing. It takes a bit of doing, as well as (perhaps foolish) hope that the patent illustrations reflect the reality, but it worked for me.
    As far as I know, the patent application drawings explain a technical concept not a real technical product in its manufacturing measures. Don't fool yourself. The measures in a patent application are illustrative elements, not manufacturing details, have no doubt about it. In other words - a patent application is not a manufacturing blue print for the final product.
    Sure, you can play with the distances and hope for a good result. That's why I wish good luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    As far as I know, the patent application drawings explain a technical concept not a real technical product in its manufacturing measures. Don't fool yourself. The measures in a patent application are illustrative elements, not manufacturing details, have no doubt about it. In other words - a patent application is not a manufacturing blue print for the final product.
    Sure, you can play with the distances and hope for a good result. That's why I wish good luck to him.
    Visit dioptrique.info. It uses lens prescriptions, mainly from patents, in a ray-tracing program to calculate the lenses' performance. The prescriptions include all radii, spacings, the elements' thicknesses, the glasses refractive indices and dispersions, ... Prescriptions are the starting point for mechanical design needed to make tubes to hold the lens elements.

Not to give anything away, but those little domes aren't Hypergon elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Visit dioptrique.info. It uses lens prescriptions, mainly from patents, in a ray-tracing program to calculate the lenses' performance. The prescriptions include all radii, spacings, the elements' thicknesses, the glasses refractive indices and dispersions, ... Prescriptions are the starting point for mechanical design needed to make tubes to hold the lens elements.

Not to give anything away, but those little domes aren't Hypergon elements.
    Yeah, let him calculate it. With or without a program. A great idea.

Thanks to Dan for helping via PM with some information and testing idea.

Yes, it appears that these are not plain Hypergon elements as hoped. I also have a measurement for one Hypergon focal length now from a private party and these are massive comparatively.

Now trying to figure out what they are. Included in the lot were some plano-convex elements that perhaps were part of the lens in question. I was hoping they were just extra bits. Thanks for the continued helpful posts by Dan.