Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Futon mattress is becoming more and more Popular nowadays. In the current market, you can discover a vast selection of futon mattresses with numerous kinds, materials and prices. Futon mattress is more suitable than the standard mattress because it can be folded up in the event that you want space or turn into a mattress if you have guest. Moreover, its price is significantly cheaper compared with the normal ones.

In addition, the futon mattress is not as Heavy and bulky as other mattresses. It has high portability feature which you can grab and move to anywhere you like. What's more, if the bed is just only bed and couch is just only couch, futon mattress is much more flexible, it can readily convert into the couch when folded or be the mattress if unfolded. So, one stone hits two birds. my page: Futonszone

Cozy futon mattress
    Anybody when choosing a futon mattress or even a General mattress always needs to have the one providing the most comfortable experience. It's reported that almost futon mattresses using high sales first and foremost bring comfort to users.

An agreeable futon mattress would encourage a Long and deep rest in addition to other relaxing activities -- this is critical factor, particularly after a long, hard-working and tiring day at work. The main objective now for almost any futon mattress manufacturers, is to be the most comfortable one accessible on the industry.

However, it is not a Simple task Which will be the best futon mattress, especially when there are many information stated since the most comfortable one from the world wide web at the moment. In the article, we'll help you to find the right futon mattress.

Qualities of the comfy futon mattress
    Issues raised today is the Way to ascertain and Which variables the futon mattress must have in order to report as the most comfortable futon mattress. We have listed some outstanding characteristics a comfy futon mattress must have:

High quality
    This could relate to the materials used For the look of this futon mattress. If your futon mattress is manufactured in the high excellent material such as organic latex or cotton, it will boost the comfort of the consumers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spring-Air-sets-direct-response-ad.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	176912

For instance, if you need a futon mattress With breathable feeling, then a cotton material is an ideal choice. As the outcome, people will not bear the warmth and feel sexy during resting on the futon mattress. Twiteer futon mattress reviews
    The design and instruction of the futon Mattress additionally get involved in quality differences. Awkward sag and bumps are going to have less opportunity to look if your futon mattress owns a smooth as well as layers.

It is highly recommended that you should Choose the hand stuffed futon mattress because just this one can reach such even layers. So, it will be free of sagging and lumps. A high excellent futon mattress is one that is elaborated to each little detail.

Individual preference
    The second factor on How Best to choose a Futon mattress is your individual preference. Generally, futon mattress relaxation is mostly decided by its own thickness. The amount of thickness is array from 1 to 10 inches, from very soft to very firm. Typical thickness for adults is approximately 6 to 8 inches that's reported to deliver the most comfy feeling. Anything overly thick or too thin may bring the users the area of discomfort.

The firmness of the surface
    Futon mattress can be divided to 2 primary Categories depending on the firmness of this surface: gentle surface and firm coating. Yet more, this factor can also be based on individual preference, every individual has his own degree of comfortable.

There are some people who are Pleased with gentle futon mattress while the other one feels comfortable with the firm one -- which don't make their own body dip too much to the mattress. In addition, this kind of surface can encourage the consumers over the soft one. So that, if you want a supportive experience for your own back, spine and hips, we recommend you to pick the company futon mattress.

From the Guide we've clearly presented some Key factors about how best to find a comfy futon mattress. As you can see, there's absolutely not any futon mattress which may be considered the most comfortable futon mattress for everyone because comfort is a relative definition and based nearly on personal preference. Could be some people feel right with you but another may be not comfortable with it. Thus, we recommend you to firstly ask yourself which one do you enjoy. enetget best futon mattress reviews

If you find this article useful, so do not Be unwilling to talk to your friends
    Last edited by strayblank; 9-Apr-2018 at 22:19.

Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Now is the time to start. There is something of a renaissance in analog photography right now. B&W 4x5 film will be around for at least another 30 years.

As for resale value if you buy pretty much any decent condition 4x5 camera, and two modern lenses and a few holders you’ll be able to sell them back for more or less the same price you bought them for.

There are also some very cheap but adequate new options like the 4x5 Bulldog and the Chroma which will not hold their value as well but are a cheaper way to get into LF. Think of owning them as paying a rental fee.

8x10 is a whole different level of expense and complication for relatively modest benefit over 4x5. So I’d start with 4x5 and learn the craft and if (big if) you decide to go bigger you can always sell you 4x5 rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Where to start? Is it too late to start? Beginner seeking advice.

Quote Originally Posted by strayblank View Post
    would this be a poor investment?
    ;-) ... No

This is complicated by the fact that many of the brands and models detailed in the books I've read no longer exist. The used equipment remaining from before is then contrasted against modern equipment, like Chamonix or Calumet, which I have absolutely no knowledge of. So where ought I begin? Considering the tenuous future of film negative production,
    Well, maybe you should take a mono-rail into consideration. For instance, you can find a 4x5 Sinar F1 or F2 for a price around $ 500.
    300 to 500 more for a modern APO 150 mm, 20 for each sheat film holder, 150 a tripod, 300 a spotmeter.

Then you'll have to buy film...

A monorail is symmetrical and this is going to help you a lot in understanding movements (and has the biggest freedom of movements).

I'd really like to get a hefty 8x10, which would probably clear out my savings. Perhaps it would feel well worth it, though. I've considered a 4x5, but my worry there is that by the time I decide I want to try out another camera, I might not be able to get enough resale value out of it to recoup enough cash to upgrade.
    You should be able to resale it for the same price.

8x10 quadruples 4x5 in every things ;-)

J

Considering the tenuous future of film negative production, would this be a poor investment?
    Yes, in the case of your 8x10 choice! Think about the fact that the LF photography will just give you pictures (at your expense!), not any financial reward. In this sense it is not any investment, just an expense. Don't start LF photo with a film format that carries additional problems to solve. Start with a 4x5, more than enough to please you with its photographic results.

Foamer

I highly advise staying away from 8x10 to start. It will eat money faster than you can replace it. The suggestion of buying a used monorail camera, something like a Cambo NX2, will be a cheap but good entry. I see them selling on ebay for <$400 with a nice lens! They are bulky and not what you'd want to hike all day with, but otherwise you are getting a lot for your money. You should be able to get most of your money back out of something like that. Most all of my camera gear was bought used, generally from ebay.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

A used Calumet 400 series with a lens will set you back under $200 if you look around a bit. 6 film holders, a light meter and a cable release less than $100 more. You can make a dark cloth. Carry bag is simple. Smallish drink cooler from a thrift store if you don't already have a bag to use.

The old monorail cameras are easy to use. The Calumets, Burke and James and Kodak metal monorails were not expensive when new and are still inexpensive on the used market.

A 4x5 enlarger can be had for low cost to "please take this thing off my hands".

If and when you decide to move to a larger format you don't lose much at all because you did not pay much for the gear.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I would start with a 4x5. There are so many things that are simpler. You can develop the film in a tank, not a tray so you don't need a darkroom to do it. Lenses are a lot easier to find and cheaper, you should be able to find a standard lens for under £200. I got a monorail, lens and various boards and accessories for £350, and that was enough to get me started. You can get everything you need online, in a day and be ready to start shooting when it arrives. It would be a lot harder and more time consuming to source a 8x10 kit, things like film holders are just that much more difficult to find. All decent, non-electronic film equipment seems to be holding its value or apprieciating, so if you buy carefully all you are doing is storing your money in that equipment. With luck you should get it all back or maybe even make a profit.

Another vote for 4x5. The main advantage of 5x7 or 8x10 is where the larger negative is needed for contact printing esoteric processes. However, these large negatives can be digitally reproduced from smaller negatives. Your first LF camera should be used, not new. It is a learning tool, not a lifetime investment. Only after hands on experience can you know what features you need. The better cameras from several generations ago have most or all of the capabilities of most new products. Many of these, unlike many new cameras, use simple lens boards that are inexpensive and easy to improvise. Perhaps the most significant improvement in lenses in many years is multicoating. However, some hundred-year-old uncoated lenses are still in good use. Remember, great photographs from the past were taken with what seems to us to be primitive equipment. Pursuing the latest and best camera is less productive (but much more expensive) than making the most of whatever equipment is at hand. The one photographic lifetime investment is a tripod. I prefer the old well designed and built Tiltall to new, but more expensive and relatively unproven, designs.

What you want to do with your new camera should indicate to some extent which type of LF camera to choose. Back packing? Studio work? Hand held? Architecture?
    Then consider your lens----what does it require as far as bellows length? Size of lens board? Will it be compatible with your camera selection?
    That would be a start.

Tickets to the dance can be all over the place. You can still find old US built monorails for $150 or Linhofs for $1000s. My advice would be to look for a camera that's in good condition. No negative ever will tell the viewer the name on the camera used to take the shot, but it will tell you if there are pinholes in the bellows, or the movements don't lock down firmly, or the film holder didn't fit correctly.
    Regarding build quality, any of the major brands should be sound if their designs have withstood the test of time, so don't sweat that part of the equation. The important thing is to get out and make photographs.

As far as format, 4x5 is the entry drug. Larger formats are more costly in terms of film, chemistry, film holders, tripods(larger cameras need greater stability) and lenses. Spend your $$ as you see fit.
    I prefer 8x10 and have done it on a budget so it isn't entirely out of the question, but it's going to cost.

Willie in post #6 above offers excellent advice, but don't forget the Graphic View I or II
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Another vote for a "beater" 4x5. You don't say what type of photography you do, but there will be a learning curve, and you will develop preferences for what type of camera you want. An old 4x5 monorail with a couple of older lenses will let you figure out what you want, or if you really want portable and camera movements are less of an issue, pick up a speed or crown graphic. Chances are when you are done, you can sell it for close to what you paid, and pick up the camera that meets your needs. Who knows - the camera may be what you want! I started on an old Graphic View, and I'm going to pull it back out again for some wet plate work.

Cheers!
    Bill