Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vermonters, please chime in on Autumn color visit

Vermonters, please chime in on Autumn color visit

My early years were spent in Stockbridge, MA, and I later spent four wonderful summers at one of the many camps on Lake Fairlee (long since gone), long after which I spent a year at Boston College. I'll be taking my daughter, whose early years were in southern India and who has not seen a New England Fall, for a long-promised look at the autumn colors in Sept./Oct, Covid conditions permitting.

From VA, it's a long poke, so I expect we'll be limited to the lower part of Vermont. I'm thinking of picking up 91 around New Haven, taking it up to Rte 9, and crossing over to pick up 7A, but this is just from looking at maps and a few web sources.

I may take a small camera with some Delta 100 (I'm B&W only), but the main purpose is just to enjoy the beauty of the rural scene (what a concept!). I'm open for expert suggestions on back roads, villages, national park scenics, photo galleries (natch), and B&B's. We won't be camping. We can do some modest hiking, but we're not experienced hikers.

Thanks in advance.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Re: Vermonters, please chime in on Autumn color visit

Just about anywhere you go in VT is beautiful, IMO, but I wouldn't miss a drive up/down Rte 100!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    My early years were spent in Stockbridge, MA, and I later spent four wonderful summers at one of the many camps on Lake Fairlee (long since gone), long after which I spent a year at Boston College. I'll be taking my daughter, whose early years were in southern India and who has not seen a New England Fall, for a long-promised look at the autumn colors in Sept./Oct, Covid conditions permitting.

From VA, it's a long poke, so I expect we'll be limited to the lower part of Vermont. I'm thinking of picking up 91 around New Haven, taking it up to Rte 9, and crossing over to pick up 7A, but this is just from looking at maps and a few web sources.

I may take a small camera with some Delta 100 (I'm B&W only), but the main purpose is just to enjoy the beauty of the rural scene (what a concept!). I'm open for expert suggestions on back roads, villages, national park scenics, photo galleries (natch), and B&B's. We won't be camping. We can do some modest hiking, but we're not experienced hikers.

Thanks in advance.
    Camp Norway? I’m sure it wasn’t Benadewan (spelling?)

Bob, Norway it was, when Web Keefe was running it; you,too? How fortunate I was to be able to attend the camp! (Beenadeewin was where I met the grand-daughter of Admiral Halsey-- well, never mind. My sister went to Wyoda.)
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

Quote Originally Posted by Ulophot View Post
    Bob, Norway it was, when Web Keefe was running it; you,too? How fortunate I was to be able to attend the camp! (Beenadeewin was where I met the grand-daughter of Admiral Halsey-- well, never mind. My sister went to Wyoda.)
    I was there in 57. Fun times. Went there because my girlfriend was at Beenadeewin.

Real Vermonters and experts, please pardon our digression. We return to the thread...
    Philip Ulanowsky

www.imagesinsilver.art

The town of Grafton is beautiful in the fall, as is Weston (Vt. Country Store location - a must see!). Route 100 is also a great suggestion, and if you can make it up to Sharon, and up over Bethel Mountain road into Rochester, up 100 to Hancock, and hang a left past Texas Falls (a must stop with MF/LF), and up over Middlebury Gap - you are golden!

Just a bit NE of the above...up through Tunbridge, Vershire, Corinth...then Topsham (all spectacular during foliage season), and just a bit further - is our place in Newbury...where you are more than welcome to hang your hat - sit with us for dinner, share some stories, get a proper darkroom tour, and stay over in our guest room if you'd like, after which I'd give you a proper sendoff with some great cornmeal waffles, smothered with our own Vermont maple syrup!

Later Edit: An alternative waffle breakfast (almost as good), would be stop by the justly famous Polly's Pancake House in nearby Sugar Hill (NH), with its wonderful view of the Franconia range, followed by a drive through Franconia Notch with a stop at The Basin...where you will find some great water features:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Basin.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	227864 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basin Cascade.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	227865
    Last edited by John Layton; 4-Jun-2022 at 04:26.

David Schaller

The foliage in Sugar Hill is pretty good too. Just saying.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I love VT but don’t ignore autumn in the Adirondacks of New York, Saratoga Springs to the Canadian border and west to Gouverneur and Ft Drum.

If you can squeeze more time, and thing shave loosened up by then, hop across the border into Quebec. Same beautiful scenery but your dollar will go farther. Loved driving through NH but Vermont was some thing gorgeous.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...