Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy in Oklahoma

New guy in Oklahoma

I haven't actually made the jump to LF yet. I'm here mostly to learn.
    Leaning towards some variety of 4X5 field camera.
    Bought my first real camera in 1981, Canon AE-1, still have it and using it again after getting it fixed in January. Carried that little camera with me while I was in the Navy.
    The Navy is where I learned film processing and darkroom. Because of my status as a shutterbug I got "volunteered" to be the ships Photographic Officer as a collateral duty. Did a lot of recon type work through the periscope of a submarine.
    Stayed with photography after leaving the Navy and managed to get my wife interested enough for us to set up a little darkroom. We had a couple of years of fun with it and then we bought our house. Things got packed up and with kids and work and what not it stayed packed up for a couple of decades.
    I'd drifted to the dark-side (digital) of photography and while I enjoyed it there was something missing. The first of the year I decided I wanted to get back to film. Dusted off my AE-1 and found a place to send it off for repair and CLA. while that was in the shop I stumbled on a Yashicamat 124. Pretty soon I was back in business with film and with my old Beseler 35 a crusty old Durst 600 I was able to print in the darkroom again.
    A few months ago I picked up a Mamiya RB67 outfit from a fellow APUG member. Now I needed to upgrade enlargers to print 6X7. Stumbled across a craigslist ad for a Beseler 45mxt with Dichro head. Ad said enlarger and darkroom equipment. Made the deal and when I met to pick it up the "darkroom equipment" and such completely filled my Jeep Wrangler, even with the back seat out.
    This stuff is addictive.

Re: New guy in Oklahoma

Welcome!

Eric Biggerstaff

From one (former) Oklahoman to another, welcome. My first real camera was also a Canon AE-1 Program, wish I still had it!
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Welcome to the forum. I'm currently in the Navy stationed in Ventura, CA. My wife is from Lawton, OK. We are hoping to move back to the OK/TX area once I retire out in a couple years.

R/
    Dave

Welcome from Scotland,
    My first camera? You guessed it! Apart from my father's box Brownie back in the 50s.
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. - Yousuf Karsh.

My AE-1 has even been to Scotland. We made a port visit to Edinburgh in the Spring of '91. Wonderful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry the Sailor View Post
    My AE-1 has even been to Scotland. We made a port visit to Edinburgh in the Spring of '91. Wonderful place.
    I live a couple of miles south of Edinburgh. So you would probably have docked at Leith?
    Character, like a photograph, develops in darkness. - Yousuf Karsh.

Welcome from SW Missouri (might we be neighbors?),live about an hour from Miami. I've also just revived analog photos in the last few years after a lengthy down time.
    Wishing you good luck with your new/old found experience.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Milonian View Post
    I live a couple of miles south of Edinburgh. So you would probably have docked at Leith?
    It's been 25+ years and there was alcohol involved.
    Pulled up Googlemaps, we docked across the Firth and had to take a bus in to Edinburgh proper.

Quote Originally Posted by blindpig View Post
    Welcome from SW Missouri (might we be neighbors?),live about an hour from Miami. I've also just revived analog photos in the last few years after a lengthy down time.
    Wishing you good luck with your new/old found experience.
    Don
    Oddly enough, I'm also about an hour from Miami but just about the opposite direction.