Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Re: Starting 4x5 - Which film?

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    Shoot the films you like to shoot in medium format. You can scan with a V600 (see my image in at the waters edge). You have to scan twice and stitch in photoshop. It's more steps but it will do for now.
    Where do I find your images?

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    My experience was exactly this. I started 4x5 in the mid 1990s and was using a Hassleblad shooting trannies for a regional stock agency. I moved to 4x5 so I could get lens movements, and partly because none of my competitors could flop a big square of film on the light table like that. Up to that point I had little interest in b&w, maybe shot three rolls in a year. After two years of shooting 4x5 I found myself drifting to b&w. I mostly put 4x5 away from 2005 to 2009 and when I dived back in I only shot b&w. After ten years of that today I still only shoot b&w film but now also dry plates and wet plates. Since August about 80% of my photo energy has gone into getting better at wet plate, it's that much fun! I haven't bought any color LF sheets in five years. Still have a box of Ektar in my freezer just in case though. I do shoot color of course, but always use my Nikon D850 for that.

Starting exactly a year ago I began processing my own b&w using a Stearman 445. I mostly got tired of running to the post office to mail off my film, and then waiting 10 days to get my results back. So now I shoot and get my negs the same day. This is hugely convenient! Much to my surprise the results are honestly better. Virtually no dust/specs on my negs now. It's so easy I'm kicking myself for not doing this years ago.

Kent in SD
    I watched the Styearman video. Very interesting. I think I'll hold off for now as I'll be starting with chromes and BW. Also, I don;t want to overwhelm myself. I want to work on the shooting first as LF is all new to me. But the developing raises a question. I need an changing "tent" or "bag" to load the film. Any recommendations for 4x5? Should I get something bigger if I decide later to develop myself?

Actually how does the whole process work. I watch some videos. But the guy started with the film laying on his desk. How are they even packed in the film boxes? Is each sheet packed separately or do all sheets in the box get covered with one protector?? Is there a tape that shows the whole process from opening the box to securing the film? Where could I get a box to practice on? Maybe I could buy a cheap 10 sheet box as the practice set. I certainly don;t want to practice with expensive Velvia.

Foamer

Typing on my phone. Sheets inside bag inside box. I have dark bag never use it. Load film at night in interior bathroom has no windows. Lights off in adjoining room, towel stuffed under door. Have 4 to six holders on outing and that's enough for a day. Today I was gone 7 hours, took x2 shots. 100% keeper rate.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Foamer

I agree with using less expensive FP4+ and not. color film for first 25+ shots. You WILL make mistakes. All kinds. Should have it down after ~50 shots.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I agree with using less expensive FP4+ and not. color film for first 25+ shots. You WILL make mistakes. All kinds. Should have it down after ~50 shots.

Kent in SD
    Good advice. I got a box of Fomapan200 when I started in 2018. It's not a really bad film and it's cheap, and that feels good when you notice you forgot to close the shutter before removing the dark slide. And yes, you will forget. We have all forgot.

Well, I'm still double exposing my MF Mamiya RB67 shots on occasion. So wasting film is not new to me.

I just looked at B&H and found out my favorite color film in medium format Velvia 50 isn't available in 4x5, only Velvia 100. The Gods are already punishing me for GAS and my "need" to move on to LF.
    I didn't like Velvia 100 when I tried it. But I'm stuck to use it or try Provia.

Kent in SD
    I'll probably shoot both. The thing I like about chromes is you know immediately whether you nailed the exposure. That's why I don't shoot color negatives. Plus I can't wait to throw some slides onto a light pad. The camera was shipped but I;m still working on the first lens. Lots of things to consider. I'm getting excited.

Foamer

Since it's all manual and nothing (except hand held meter) is electronic, there are a lot of steps. No single step is at all difficult. The difficulty is remembering to do all the steps. I advise making a check list to carry and following it like a recipe.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

Foamer

Not all film manufacturers use the inner box (Fuji?) Below. Film is processed negatives, of course. I mark an "X" on boxes that have been opened and contain unexposed film.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ilford1.jpg   Ilford2.jpg   Ilford3.jpg   Ilford4.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I just looked at B&H and found out my favorite color film in medium format Velvia 50 isn't available in 4x5, only Velvia 100.
    4x5 Velvia 50 is available directly from Japan, albeit at a significant price premium when using sources such as Ebay sellers and Japan Exposures. I purchased some from fellow LF forum member B.S. Kumar several years ago (he is very active in the For Sale section here), if I were to order more, I would contact Kumar. Here is his price list from June 2018 (I believe prices have since increased due to Fuji price increases and changes in the exchange rate):

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1447615