Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

Re: Warning about Eizo Monitors Service Policy

I find the Eizo matches my print better than any other monitor i have ever owned , i have been lucky enough not to have failure within the warranty period or after for that matter . but a little concerned that the after sales service not matching the high profile of the brand .

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    I find the Eizo matches my print better than any other monitor i have ever owned , i have been lucky enough not to have failure within the warranty period or after for that matter . but a little concerned that the after sales service not matching the high profile of the brand .
    I think this says it all. There is no question that an Eizo monitor is a quality monitor. I think everyone else has gotten the picture, at least for Photography and Graphics, that a larger color space is desirable, etc. NEC, Asus, Dell and a few others have all increased the quality of their displays to match.

When a computer breaks, most of us can repair it fairly easily, or know someone who can. We know to back up our hard drives appropriately. We can get a new hard drive, some more ram, a new power supply (if one is on a PC), and stick it in the machine, or we can update to a new OS. Rarely does a machine fail totally.

OTOH, when a monitor begins to fail, there is nothing that can be done. One has to depend on a warranty to protect you. I was surprised that a company like Eizo, which does a lot in the medical fields as well, did not have a program for their customers to loan monitors during a replacement period. The customer service is like plenty of other companies where it is "if you don't like it, go buy something else". Everything is commoditized. However, it doesn't follow the commoditized model because its expensive.

My Eizo was only slightly better than the monitors from Apple, which cost $1K vs $3K. I am in the bracket that spending another $1K isn't great, but it won't hurt that much, whereas the $3K purchase is a quite bit more painful, requiring planning, maybe putting the purchase on a credit card, etc.

I would say that (at least for me) without the customer service it isn't worth it. I make all my own profiles, have all the equipment and software to do it right, etc. I have never felt that a monitor "matched" the prints. There is so much of one's mind involved in the conversion from what it looks like on the monitor vs what a print on paper looks like that profiling a monitor is more of an exercise in getting a clean gray background than anything else.

There appears to be an opportunity out there for a company to supply monitors to the photography industry where they actually back them up, and provide a good service.
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Tarbert View Post
    Judging after sales service based on one user is not really a good way to make a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    There appears to be an opportunity out there for a company to supply monitors to the photography industry where they actually back them up, and provide a good service.
    Eizo and NEC already do that. You had ONE Eizo, and for some unknown reason had a problem close to the end of service warranty on your product. Does that mean that Eizo as a whole, and all its products will behave the same?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Eizo and NEC already do that. You had ONE Eizo, and for some unknown reason had a problem close to the end of service warranty on your product. Does that mean that Eizo as a whole, and all its products will behave the same?
    You seem to be intent on attacking me. Perhaps its the acerbic tone. I could be the only one that has ever experienced this issue, however, I doubt it. If that was the case, Eizo would likely have sent me a brand new monitor.

There were other things I didn't like about this monitor, the barely acceptable Mac support (driver updates and such), the lack of a camera. I also didn't find that it was a huge improvement over other monitors I've had in terms of matching to a print. Everyone's contention that it would take me less attempts to make that great print did not actually prove to be true. Thus, it isn't worth three times the price of other monitors.

I think that everyone who has an Eizo should enjoy it.
    EigerStudios

... Last year, my monitor started to de-laminate. I contacted Eizo and they told me that everything but de-lamination was under warranty...
    That really s*cks! Very sorry to hear about your situation.

Lenny, do you have it on 'Written Authority'...
    That everything but 'De-Lamination' is covered under warranty?

If perhaps not...
    I would most 'assuredly' make Eizo provide you -- With this Documentation.
    --
    Unfortunately, when calling up companies these days...

People will say 'Anything and Absolutely Everything' -- Just in order to discourage you or be done with your problem. REALLY!!!

But, when you 'turn the tables' on them and ask them to provide Written Documentation for what they have just stated -- They usually cannot!
    --
    You of course, can (and now should)... Use this to your Advantage!

Just checking...

Best regards, -Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Judging after sales service based on one user is not really a good way to make a good decision.
    Eizo is actually...
    Quite well known in the Industry -- For not 'honoring' their 5 Year Warranty.

Many years ago, when shopping for a 'High End' Monitor... I decided to choose a Monitor (from a different Manufacturer) -- For this exact very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    Lenny, do you have it on 'Written Authority'...
    That everything but 'De-Lamination' is covered under warranty?
    I think I purchased this in 2012, exactly 3 years ago... The monitor was nearing 10,000 hours, when I reported the issue. I just leave it on all the time, might rethink that in the future. The tech guy checked with his "manager", who wouldn't budge. So now they get some not so positive press, which is what they deserve, IMO. Same with every other company that doesn't treat the large format forum members right...

The LCD panel is the part that is only covered for 3 years, or 10,000 hours. That's 417 days, or 1.1 years, if you leave it on all the time.

At this point, it's past the hours mark, so there's nothing I can do... I appreciate everyone's effort to try and help.

I wish Apple would get their act together and put out a monitor like the one for the iMac 27inch that is standalone... I know there's issues with the graphics cards required to drive it, but even if it wasn't 5K, but had a halfway decent color space, that would suffice...

For those of you who scan with me, if I miss a spot in the upper center, I apologize.

I think that most computers have about a 3 year life, now its monitors, too. I guess I should just get over it...

Lenny

Here you go:

The period of this Warranty is five (5) years from the date of purchase of the Product subject to the usage time being less than or equal to 30,000 hours (hereinafter referred to as the “Warranty Period”), provided that the Warranty Period for the LCD panel is limited to three (3) years from the date of purchase of the Product. The brightness of the Product shall be warranted only if the Product has been used within the recommended brightness of described in the User's Manual and the Warranty Period for the brightness is limited to three (3) years from the date of purchase of the Product subject to the usage time being less than or equal to 10,000 hours. EIZO and Distributors shall bear no liability or obligation with regard to the Product in relation to the Original Purchaser or any third parties other than as provided under this Warranty.

snip

Notwithstanding any other provision of this Warranty, EIZO and Distributors shall have no obligation under this Warranty whatsoever in any of the cases as set forth below:
    (a) Any defect of the Product caused by freight damage, modifi cation, alteration, abuse, misuse, accident, incorrect installation, disaster, faulty maintenance and/or improper repair by third party other than EIZO and Distributors;
    (b) Any incompatibility of the Product due to possible technical innovations and/or regulations;
    (c) Any deterioration of the sensor;
    (d) Any deterioration of display performance caused by the deterioration of expendable parts such as the LCD panel and/or backlight, etc. (e.g. changes in brightness uniformity, changes in color, changes in color uniformity, defects in pixels including burnt pixels, etc.);
    (e) Any deterioration of the Product caused by the use at higher brightness than the recommended brightness described in the User’s Manual;
    (f) Any defect of the Product caused by external equipment;
    (g) Any defect of the Product on which the original serial number has been altered or removed;
    (h) Any normal deterioration of the product, particularly that of consumables, accessories, and/or attachments (e.g. buttons, rotating parts, cables, User’s Manual, etc.); and
    (i) Any deformation, discoloration, and/or warp of the exterior of the product including that of the surface of the LCD panel.
    EigerStudios

You seem to be intent on attacking me. Perhaps its the acerbic tone. I could be the only one that has ever experienced this issue, however, I doubt it. If that was the case, Eizo would likely have sent me a brand new monitor.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...o+delamination It looks like no one else has yet to post about this that i could find.

There were other things I didn't like about this monitor, the barely acceptable Mac support (driver updates and such), the lack of a camera. I also didn't find that it was a huge improvement over other monitors I've had in terms of matching to a print. Everyone's contention that it would take me less attempts to make that great print did not actually prove to be true. Thus, it isn't worth three times the price of other monitors.

I think that everyone who has an Eizo should enjoy it.
    No camera in your high end graphic work monitor... whaaa???
    I am sorry if this sounds like a personal comment (its not meant as one), but if one uses a mac (for whichever reason) buys a product with poor mac support, it cannot possibly be the manufacturers fault?

I have no stock with Eizo, and could care less if you or anyone else buys or likes them, but your single experience cannot be a measure of anything, other than that single experience. My short search just now revealed that people have a hard time returning refurbished or used monitors inside warranty for various reasons (none i have found yet are due to actual defects and all to do with user specs/expectations), which is still not good, but i am not sure it has anything to do with your OP (second time around).

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    Eizo is actually...
    Quite well known in the Industry -- For not 'honoring' their 5 Year Warranty.

Many years ago,
    How many years ago was this?