Page 261 of 328 FirstFirst ... 161211251259260261262263271311 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,610 of 3278

Thread: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Re: Old Things,Farms,Barns,Buildings, Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold Schable View Post
    . . Gold Point, Nevada
    Gold Point has at least 17 folks getting mail in this town...
    . . Gold Point, Nevada by Reinhold S., on Flickr

Neg# GHTO 163, 4x5" Tachihara, 210mm lens, YG filter. 1982

Reinhold
    A view of GoldPoint taken perhaps 1940 to compare with Reinhold's

This 5X7 negative was part of a collection that I purchased from the heirs of the original photographer. His name was Mac McGowan and he had a second hand store and a photo studio in Tonopah in the era of this picture. No, I'm not that old.

Cool. Is that the same ladder all these years, I wonder.

Like!

I missed that attraction...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post

Covered Bridge, Lakeside Park

Intrepid 810MkII
    240mm Germinar-W
    FP4+
    Manuscan 810
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Cool. Is that the same ladder all these years, I wonder.
    Sure looks like it could be. I should go do a photo. You figure it was a little over 40 years later that Reinhold did his photo, and now almost 40 more have come and gone. Love the Goldpoint sign. It's definitely the same. The gasoline pump in the 1940 photograph was bought by me from a guy in Tonopah who took it from Goldpoint. I restored it and it was in my back yard for many years, orange with a shell globe on top. Long before I'd seen the old picture or I would have gone with the Chevron colors and tried to faithfully restore it to the Goldpoint config. Now it's gone too. It's in a furniture store in Carson City.

Hurricane Shoals Grist Mill
    Built in 1870, moved and rebuilt in the '80s and is apparently functional

Linhof Master Technika 4x5, Nikkor 90mm f/8, Efke 25 shot @ 12, 1 minute exposure @ f/22, tray developed in Pyrocat 1:1:100 for 5 minutes @ 75F

Had no idea this park existed till Saturday. Was going shopping nearby with my dad and saw it on the map. Was a huge ordeal to get there as the main highway going to it was closed. But finally made it and the light was very nice, glinting through the fence and water bouncing off the wheel. I guess the wheel stays "locked" until actually in use, so I'd like to see it spinning another day perhaps.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Hurricane Shoals Grist Mill
    Built in 1870, moved and rebuilt in the '80s and is apparently functional

Linhof Master Technika 4x5, Nikkor 90mm f/8, Efke 25 shot @ 12, 1 minute exposure @ f/22, tray developed in Pyrocat 1:1:100 for 5 minutes @ 75F

Had no idea this park existed till Saturday. Was going shopping nearby with my dad and saw it on the map. Was a huge ordeal to get there as the main highway going to it was closed. But finally made it and the light was very nice, glinting through the fence and water bouncing off the wheel. I guess the wheel stays "locked" until actually in use, so I'd like to see it spinning another day perhaps.
    Wow, kind of a dream shot. Good for you. OK, so people want to know, if the air was that still for a minute that the leaves are all perfect, what was the temperature that you endured with no breeze?

Thanks Jim. Leaves in the upper-left corner aren't particularly sharp - mostly due to a double-image effect as they were still for about 75% of the exposure, and then rustled for a second in a (small) breeze. Same with the leaves in the foreground on the building, but neither is particularly offensive IMO and this deserves a print I think, because of the light. Thinking about a square crop now actually.

Normally would be shooting T-Max 100 and not had such a long exposure but was finishing up a box of this Efke. I like it a lot, and have a few boxes of 25 and 100 in the freezer.

It was definitely hot, in the 90's. Summer is in full-force here in the deep south. I'm so used to it, it doesn't even faze me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm so used to it, it doesn't even faze me anymore.
    You're hallucinating, Bryan--that's one of the first symptoms of hyperthermia.

At any rate, a very nice shot--I'm especially drawn to the graceful curve of the maple (?) in the foreground--and definitely one that will have me pondering aspect ratios. (FWIW, I think I'm disappointed you didn't have your 5x7 on the truck...it really seems to have the ability to "sort" a frame with a lot moving parts.)

BTW, if I-20 ever takes you through "Burminham," Tannehill state park west of town has a lot of interesting industrial architecture from the 19th C--and of course, Sloss Furnace in downtown Birmingham is fascinating in itself.

Well a week and a half ago I did hike 8 miles in the extreme heat with no water because I was being dumb / stubborn so I had some mild hyperthermia...

Thanks - yes I immediately was drawn to the curving tree as foreground element. I almost brought my 5x7, but I think this was the right aspect ratio. I did try to compose a second shot vertically but decided I didn't like it. I just got some new 5x7 film holders and made a new lens board so I need to take it out again soon.

I have seen images from Sloss Furnace, and definitely would love to go! I'll look up Tannehill too.

John Olsen

I just bought a Calumet wood field camera with Caltar II 210 mm lens. It seems to be early '80s vintage as it looks just like what's in my 1985 Calumet catalog. This test shot is from the historic Reubel Farm, which is now owned by the Nat'l Forest Serv. The day was heavily overcast and the wood was dark with weathering. As a test of the lens, bellows integrity and camera movements it was a good first try. TriX film, yellow filter, scanned from Ilford print.

[IMG]N11Bb LFF by John Olsen, on Flickr[/IMG]