Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Re: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Another approach is just to buy an enlarger WITHOUT a chassis/column. These show up on EBAY all the time, and cost a lot less.

Then make a chassis/column to fit. There's a current discussion covering this approach on this FORUM:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...larger-Chassis

Hello everyone! Thanks for your suggestions so far. Here's what my space looks like. I had trouble inserting an image the way I wanted to at first:

I'll respond to a few comments in a moment.
    Last edited by Certain Exposures; 13-Mar-2022 at 13:20. Reason: Figured out how to attach an image the way I wanted to!

Post Re: What's the most compact 4x5 enlarger in terms of vertical height?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    It will likely be a tight squeeze, but I think it's doable with a 135mm wide-angle enlarging lens (or shorter, like the 120mm Bob mentions). I just measured my Beseler 45MX with a 135mm Nikkor enlarging lens and the head set up for the last 16x20 print I made. The top of the color head was 46 inches from the top of the baseboard.
    Doremus
    Thanks, I'll look into this enlarger and enlarging lens more later! I have costs to consider but narrowing down which models work is my first challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

EDIT: Just measured my 4500 II. Height will just fit within your 50" limit, but taking into account the baseboard as well as a slight projection to the rear by the head, it needs somewhere around 25-26 inches front to back. If you turn the enlarger sideways on the workbench, you would need 24 inches front to back. If you can't find anything else that will fit, you could have a smaller baseboard made for the 4500 II.
    Thanks, I'll add this enlarger to my list of ones to research. I'm not sure how important those last 4 inches would be for balance. Probably not crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Consider altering the way any enlarger is mounted....
    Sort of enlargers which are essentially a view camera with a light source might appear to be a compact solution until the realities of what is required to properly set up the enlarger will and can prove to be a ride each time.
    Bernice
    Yes, that's my fear. I'd rather get a standard enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

In short, measure your space from where you want the baseboard to the ceiling. Then look for enlargers WITH the HEAD attached that will fit-- you might have better luck with used gear.
    Thanks, that's the goal! I just need to know what the max needed height for a 16 x 20 enlargement of a 4x5 negative on any given enlarger would be (assuming the column fits in the 52" space).

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    How about a Crown Graphic with a Graflarger attachment?
    Thanks, I ordered 2 in the past but they both arrived broken. I've opted for a standard enlarger since then for the reason outlined in Bernice's comment.

I just measured my Beseler 45MXT & it would work..... but i use the Zone VI VC head..... You'd save even more height by using a simple cold light head. But you might be squeezed for room for your space to stand as the baseboard of the MXT is approx 30." I think the MXT with a wide angle enlarging lens would be the ticket for printing 16"x20"The head size comparison makes a lot of difference in overall possibility[

ATTACH=CONFIG]225638[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Greg Y; 13-Mar-2022 at 21:48.

Someone should have a formula for computing the distance from the baseboard to the negative stage for a 16x20" print of a 4x5" negative -- with the focal length of the lens as a variable.
    I'm sure you won't be able to get the head to the top of the column, but a wide-angle lens might solve that problem.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Certain Exposures View Post
    Thanks, I ordered 2 in the past but they both arrived broken. I've opted for a standard enlarger since then for the reason outlined in Bernice's comment.
    Sorry to read you got burned, if you still have them, it looks like "aristo grid" is still in business (in the UK at least) you might email them and see if they are still able to retube them and adjust the leaky transformer or know who does that these days, they used to do that sort of thing ... (probably any neon shop can do it, it's just a neon tube that's inside the head)
    when I got mine it worked extremely well ( as-is / when purchased) and with a copy stand and very little effort on my part, it rivaled the omega that I currently use. I had plans on driving across the states photographing roadside architecture and living in motels, printing and processing the film but sadly life hit me like stepping on a rake and my plans changed and I sold it.

good luck!

Tin Can

That's really NEAT -- especially if you have an Interpid camera. I suppose, with a little ingenuity, it could be attached to just about any 4x5. Intrepid should consider offering adapters to increase sales -- maybe they do?!?!?

Intrepid's first version of this 4x5 enlarger kit came out in May 2019. The Kickstarter had a modest goal of 15,000 euros and raised 103,982 euros. Impressive.

Yet, three years later, there's not a single comprehensive review that I can find on the internet of this kit's pros and cons after long-term use by any of the 444 original backers or people that purchased it afterward. The 4x5 enlarger kit has an incredible lead time of 10 - 12 weeks.

That's mind-boggling to me. Do you think I'm unreasonable for not being willing to spend the money and wait that long without any decent reviews out there? Also, Bernice's point still rings in my ears. I can't imagine that there isn't an issue with finickiness.

A good review would inspire my confidence, but there aren't any out there after years. I don't understand why this is the case.
    Last edited by Certain Exposures; 14-Mar-2022 at 09:15. Reason: Fixed a typo in my second sentence.