Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tools to remove anatomical grip on Technika V

Robert Bowring

Re: tools to remove anatomical grip on Technika V

Micro-tools.com has a large selection of tools for working on cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    Is that the 18-piece thin-tip bit set for ~$80? The link diverted to the home page of Brownells uk site.
    This should get you the set for $50.99: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...1932&pid=44342

You can buy the bits individually but it is surprising how many of the different tips you will use.
    I should have added in my post that I am not that familiar with the Super Technika V screws but the original poster sounded exactly like I did before I found the thin bits. Browning shotguns use them also.

The European Style screws I was dealing with resemble a thumbtack with a screw head 4 to 5 times the diameter of the threaded portion. (1/4" - 5/16" head with a threaded portion less than 1/16") Any normal screw driver that was thin enough to fit the slot was very narrow and would really nick the shallow slot. Grinding an old screw driver accurately enough was almost impossible without a precision surface grinder. These screws look odd or cheap but they are a very precision and workable system if you have the correct bit. The correct bit will actually stick in the slot and and a .020" bit in a .025 slot will mark it up. I think their are better screw heads available today but these work fine with the correct bit and knowing how to work with them.

Quote Originally Posted by RivetGun View Post
    This should get you the set for $50.99: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/searc...1932&pid=44342

You can buy the bits individually but it is surprising how many of the different tips you will use.
    I should have added in my post that I am not that familiar with the Super Technika V screws but the original poster sounded exactly like I did before I found the thin bits. Browning shotguns use them also.

The European Style screws I was dealing with resemble a thumbtack with a screw head 4 to 5 times the diameter of the threaded portion. (1/4" - 5/16" head with a threaded portion less than 1/16") Any normal screw driver that was thin enough to fit the slot was very narrow and would really nick the shallow slot. Grinding an old screw driver accurately enough was almost impossible without a precision surface grinder. These screws look odd or cheap but they are a very precision and workable system if you have the correct bit. The correct bit will actually stick in the slot and and a .020" bit in a .025 slot will mark it up. I think their are better screw heads available today but these work fine with the correct bit and knowing how to work with them.

Thanks. Annoyingly the link doesn’t work because I am not in USA. It just sends me to the local home page and there are 80,000 products on the site!

It would be much appreciated if you could confirm the product name and number. I can see there is:
    Thin-Bit MAGNA-TIP® Set Product no.: 080120000

Is that the one?

I ended up installing the ProtonVPN app on my ipad so I could click on your link.
    Just confirming that it is the same product as noted above. Expensive, but looks like the quality is top notch.

Here is the link for those based in the UK
    https://www.brownells.co.uk/MAGNA-TI...ELLS-080120000

Quote Originally Posted by andrewd View Post
    I ended up installing the ProtonVPN app on my ipad so I could click on your link.
    Just confirming that it is the same product as noted above. Expensive, but looks like the quality is top notch.

Here is the link for those based in the UK
    https://www.brownells.co.uk/MAGNA-TI...ELLS-080120000
    andrewd: They are very good quality but expensive for you. If these are the screws you are dealing with I am sure you will be happy. It took me almost a month of searching the internet to figure out what I needed but like you I did not want to mess up highly specialized screws. I wish I could find thin bits that fit .010" & .015" grooves also. I kept buying precision German and Japanese "thin" screwdrivers that were way to "thick" and they cost more than the Brownell set. Good Luck!

Thanks. I appreciate good quality tools, so will likely pick up a set.
    I am sure there will be other applications in the future where I will need these.