Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lazy photographers

Lazy photographers

I put my hand up for this title , You know i have been invited to an invite only exhibition for 3 years from 2011 to 2014 , very few photographers got invited as it is an Art exhibition , guess what i didn't get invited this year , Why not ? because in the three years they invited me i did not submit anything . i went to the showing and one of of my friends introduced me to a lovely lady on the selection committee , as soon as my name came out of my friends lips , The lady said that name rings a bell , Oh yeah the photographer who gets invited but never submits anything . I may have done enough smooth talking to get an invite for 2016 , but this was a wake up call for me to be be more diligent in my artistic pursuits , i turn 57 this month so time is slipping by . I have made a commitment to submit the max allowed under the rules in 2016 , And to do a stand alone exhibition by 2017

Re: Lazy photographers

If you didn't care about the exhibition to submit anything in three years, why do you now try to get invited again?

My old teacher David Vestal had a saying; "do your work."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    If you didn't care about the exhibition to submit anything in three years, why do you now try to get invited again?
    because not getting invited woke me from my slumber

I suspect the lack of entry has more to do with insecurity of the work and less to do with lazyness. To submit runs the risk of disapproval, and yet without overcoming insecurity you will never progress . A recent book by Will Gompertz
    Think Like an Artist: . . . and Lead a More Creative, Productive Life, has some interesting things to say on the subject and is very accessible

I encourage everyone, regardless of previous history, to exhibit your work. You made it to see. You're already a people-person, since it turns out that you ARE a "people." Get out there among them. Plus, putting up work informs YOU about it in ways that just aren't accessible if the images live in a box. You'll get some comments that won't be helpful, but someone might tell you something you need to know. You've heard unhelpful comments before. Shake 'em off. In either case, your interior dialog will engage. Just do it. The work really isn't finished until it's seen. They ought to be standing on the mantle, hanging next to the front door, proofs under magnets on the refrigerator, on the computer. Little stacks on the bedside table under whatever book you are reading with L-bar croppers. Your significant other ought to weigh in with their favorites. Frame three, look at them and then give them to friends. Hang them in local businesses and rotate. Past history is gone. You think you were lazy? So what? Get on the circuit, even in the entry-fee shows and let that work be free!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2665.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	139401

Gary,
    Interesting what it took to get you going !
    Good luck with your submissions.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    I encourage everyone, regardless of previous history, to exhibit your work. You made it to see..........
    Robert,

You give great advice and reminders we need to hear.
    I've enjoyed your photos, (on the forum and particularly the Shiprock images in the portfolio exchanges),
    and take to heart your thoughts above.

Thanks !

DD
    I know just enough to be dangerous !

Happy to be part of the mix in here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC2674.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	139422
    Snow -plastered gate at Hubbell Trading Post, Ganado, Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    I suspect the lack of entry has more to do with insecurity of the work and less to do with lazyness. To submit runs the risk of disapproval, and yet without overcoming insecurity you will never progress . A recent book by Will Gompertz
    Think Like an Artist: . . . and Lead a More Creative, Productive Life, has some interesting things to say on the subject and is very accessible
    Interesting theory , but i have submitted in the past to shows with a very high acceptance and indeed have made some good sales , Actually the invitations from the art group in question saw some of my work and that prompted the invites .It has only been the last few years that have been an issue, So i'll stick with lazy

Thanks Dennis , And yes Robert does give good advice it's made to be seen , i plan to submit a lot more to this forum than i have in the past as well , The reason i have not submitted much is a lack of LF work lately , But i have in the past been a little paranoid about putting my best stuff on flikr as i worry about the security factor ,Does anybody know how you put a download block on your flikr stuff?