Thread: Anyone know the story on when the Master Technika became the Master Technika Classic?

Anyone know the story on when the Master Technika became the Master Technika Classic?

I know the overall story but wonder if anyone has the details. A posted this question in the Linhof Facebook group as well (if I get an answer there I will include it below)

In 1995 Linhof released a new 4x5 Technika the Master Technika 2000 EMS. The EMS was an electronic rangefinder. The catalog for 1995 also shows the MT2000 available without the EMS or a RF.

The first mention I can find of the MT Classic is the 2002 catalog which also lists the MT2000 but no longer has the EMS. (the EMS was last in the 2001 catalog)

So my question is was the MT (with traditional side mounted RF) discontinued in 1995 and then later reintroduced in 2002 as the MT Classic with the demise of the EMS... or was it continusly available?

If it was continuously available from 1995-2002 than at what time did it pick up the MT Classic name? Right from the beginning or later on?

Re: Anyone know the story on when the Master Technika became the Master Technika Clas

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    I know the overall story but wonder if anyone has the details. A posted this question in the Linhof Facebook group as well (if I get an answer there I will include it below)

In 1995 Linhof released a new 4x5 Technika the Master Technika 2000 EMS. The EMS was an electronic rangefinder. The catalog for 1995 also shows the MT2000 available without the EMS or a RF.

The first mention I can find of the MT Classic is the 2002 catalog which also lists the MT2000 but no longer has the EMS. (the EMS was last in the 2001 catalog)

So my question is was the MT (with traditional side mounted RF) discontinued in 1995 and then later reintroduced in 2002 as the MT Classic with the demise of the EMS... or was it continusly available?

If it was continuously available from 1995-2002 than at what time did it pick up the MT Classic name? Right from the beginning or later on?
    The Master Technika was never discontinued. They added Classic to the name when they introduced the 3000.

The EMS did not work and they were all recalled by the factory.
    We had one or two customers that didn’t return theirs and I have no idea where they ended up. One went to a woman in Phoenix.
    Should you be able to find one you will never be able to couple it. To couple it you needed a dedicated PC running a long defunct Windows operating system and special cables. You would also need to find the plug in IR receiver that fit a slot under the EMS unit and ended up placed inside the body housing.

So you fully understand. Both the 2000 and it’s replacement, the 3000, had no rangefinder built in. Instead they added a built in extreme wide angle focusing system inside the body. On the 2000 it was focused by a lever beneath the lens standard. On the 3000 it is focused with a knob on the bottom right side of the body.
    The EMS was an accessory for the first 2000 models. It was always packaged separately from the camera.

Re: Anyone know the story on when the Master Technika became the Master Technika Clas

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The Master Technika was never discontinued. They added Classic to the name when they introduced the 3000.

The EMS did not work and they were all recalled by the factory.
    We had one or two customers that didn’t return theirs and I have no idea where they ended up. One went to a woman in Phoenix.
    Should you be able to find one you will never be able to couple it. To couple it you needed a dedicated PC running a long defunct Windows operating system and special cables. You would also need to find the plug in IR receiver that fit a slot under the EMS unit and ended up placed inside the body housing.

So you fully understand. Both the 2000 and it’s replacement, the 3000, had no rangefinder built in. Instead they added a built in extreme wide angle focusing system inside the body. On the 2000 it was focused by a lever beneath the lens standard. On the 3000 it is focused with a knob on the bottom right side of the body.
    The EMS was an accessory for the first 2000 models. It was always packaged separately from the camera.
    Fantastic info Bob, thank you. It does help to think of the EMS as an accessory. Im sure a pricy one! Too bad it was not successful it was really the last big innovation in 4x5 field cameras.

Was the original Master Technika sold with and without the rangefinder (Like the III,IV,V) or was the MT 2000 the first model MT without rangefinder?

Quote Originally Posted by Embdude View Post
    Fantastic info Bob, thank you. It does help to think of the EMS as an accessory. Im sure a pricy one! Too bad it was not successful it was really the last big innovation in 4x5 field cameras.

Was the original Master Technika sold with and without the rangefinder (Like the III,IV,V) or was the MT 2000 the first model MT without rangefinder?
    2000 was the first.