Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Re: Can you add Cambo SC rails together, to get more extension?

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I definitely had the Cambo SC at one time, and I remember getting the 1" square tubing at the home goods store. I used my 300mm ektar on it. Maybe just for fun, can you take a photo of the "inside" of the piece that has the round knobs? Maybe it is slightly bent? I don't know now, now I'm just blowing out of my a** and looking for any more clues.

1" is usually 25.4, I'm a cyclist so old bikes are 1" tubes and handlebars and they are always 25.4 measurement when you buy things like stems.

Maybe, maybe...maybe, that is NOT a Cambo SC rail you have (original) but something else, and the previous owner used it enough times to make the clamp portion slightly smaller? So the real size you put it on, it doesn't fit anymore? Maybe it's not the rails, but the piece that the rails goes into?
    Hey ericantonio,
    Thanks, appreciate the reply! Yup, it is indeed a strange one! I rang the guys from 80/20 Australia and they are going to send me out a 25mm rail. Could possibly be too small but once I try it, I think I will be done with this either way

Will keep you updated....

So, have finally found some success with this issue! Big thanks to everyone who contributed, much appreciated!

So I ended up trying a 25mm x 25mm rail and this ended up working...

The original rail was 1" x 1" (25.4mm x 25.4mm). I also had to loosen a few of the screws, that jutted out in the section where the rail goes.. The new rail also had a "smoother" surface, where the rollers make contact with it...

So in the end, I am not sure if it was one thing over another but the main difference was just having a (ever so slightly) smaller rail to begin with.. Am not sure where the difference comes from with the other forum members who have had success with the 25.4mm one but for me, this was just not working! Weird!

So a very frustrating experience but got there in the end!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    So, have finally found some success with this issue! Big thanks to everyone who contributed, much appreciated!

So I ended up trying a 25mm x 25mm rail and this ended up working...

The original rail was 1" x 1" (25.4mm x 25.4mm). I also had to loosen a few of the screws, that jutted out in the section where the rail goes.. The new rail also had a "smoother" surface, where the rollers make contact with it...

So in the end, I am not sure if it was one thing over another but the main difference was just having a (ever so slightly) smaller rail to begin with.. Am not sure where the difference comes from with the other forum members who have had success with the 25.4mm one but for me, this was just not working! Weird!

So a very frustrating experience but got there in the end!

Thanks again!
    SO AWESOME MAN!!!! Enjoy it now.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    SO AWESOME MAN!!!! Enjoy it now.
    Thanks! We got there.....

Hey y'all, I know this is a bit late, but you guys helped me out too! I was able to go to a local hardware store and get a 1x1" aluminum rod and cut it down to a more portable size (9" length). It fits the Cambo SC perfectly and makes it much more portable, especially with fall leaves upon us. Thank you for a timely post!

I just wanted to add a short rail and reading this tread I give it a try. Bought a super cheap AL profile 25x25x1.5mm (the only one available here) from a hardware store (from the shelf) and I can confirm that it is perfect. I don't think it is undersize, look like the exact size - smooth sliding, good locking. Of course the rail is really long but it is so cheap (i think less than 10 EUR) that you can cut and mix and experiment all day long. Still amazed how nice is the classic Cambo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b6fe62f7-455e-4109-8bfc-eb30ab5126b1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	224160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fd904879-e60e-4535-b6f7-83ea70213adf.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	224161