View Poll Results: What lens cap sizes do you want?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32mm

1 8.33%
  • 35mm

0 0%
  • 40.5mm

1 8.33%
  • 42mm

0 0%
  • 46mm

1 8.33%
  • 48mm

0 0%
  • 50mm

0 0%
  • 52mm

3 25.00%
  • 58mm

3 25.00%
  • 62mm

3 25.00%
  • 67mm

6 50.00%
  • 70mm

6 50.00%
  • 80mm

3 25.00%
  • 95mm

0 0%
  • 105mm

1 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acetal Lens Caps

Acetal Lens Caps

Posted with moderator approval

Like most others on the forum, I am sick of poor quality OEM lens caps. Rather than simply moan about it, I have contracted with a manufacturer to make acetal lens caps. The caps will be molded out of LG Lucel, an engineering plastic similar to Delrin. The initial samples look great. They have ribs around the circumference for better grip. The top surface is recessed so that a label can be stuck on it. The lens cap size is embossed on the surface for better readability. Finally, there are vents around the inner circumference to let air escape while attaching or removing the cap.

Sizes will range from 30mm to 105mm, in 1 mm increments. Prices will vary according to size:
    30~50mm 1,200 JPY (~12 USD / 11 Euro)
    51~70mm 1,600 JPY (~16 USD / 14 Euro)
    71~90mm 2,000 JPY (~20 USD / 18 Euro)
    91~105mm 2,500 JPY (~25 USD / 22 Euro)
    Shipping will be extra, via International ePacket service or optionally, EMS.

Since these caps will be molded, the cost of the molds means that not all sizes can be made right away. Therefore, I'd like to know from members which specific sizes would interest them most. Please choose the sizes in the poll. If you do not see a specific size please reply either on the forum, or send me an email at focusgma at gmail dot com.

Thank you.
    Kumar

Re: Acetal Lens Caps

That seems to good to believe! LG Lucel is stable as far as I know. Unfortunately, the only caps I could use are larger than 105mm. I suspect that many LF photographers have the same situation.
    But good for you for being there for the rest of us!

Oh, pictures of the product would be welcome.

If there are vents to let air escape can't they also let dust or moisture enter?

Jac, larger than 105mm is certainly possible. Let me know what size you want, and I'll get the manufacturer to give me a quote.

Bob, Fujinon caps all have embossed ribs on the inner side that allow a small air space between the cap's inner circumference and the lens barrel and serve the same purpose.

Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    If there are vents to let air escape can't they also let dust or moisture enter?
    In my modest experience vents also allow moisture to leave the underside. There are other places moisture can invade. Care remains the responsibility of the owner.

So far, there are 3 members asking for 52, 58, 62, 67, 70 and 80 mm caps. No one wants smaller or larger sizes? Is everyone else satisfied with their lens caps? Is it worth going ahead with this project?

Kumar

I have a 'few' lenses and I thought I needed all kinds of caps. When I read of your project I went and checked. It turns out I am able to mix and match to fit everything as I only 'use' at most 2 at a time. If I am missing caps I store the lens on clean glass and cover with unexposed fixed out film.

The really big and unusual caps I make from odds and ends.

So I am not your best customer.

Sorry it seemed like a great idea, execution and price.

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    So far, there are 3 members asking for 52, 58, 62, 67, 70 and 80 mm caps. No one wants smaller or larger sizes? Is everyone else satisfied with their lens caps? Is it worth going ahead with this project?

Kumar
    Tin Can

I probably have a few more than your 'few' lenses They're all stored in a controlled environment. The ones that don't have proper caps have lids covering them. I have a box full of caps - and none of them will fit the lenses that don't have caps! Carrying those lenses out is troublesome, trying to find the right cap. And the sight of those lenses with lids instead of proper caps is what made me think of this project.

We have 2,978 active members. I'm sure at least some of their lenses need caps. I could get going with a particular size if I could get commitments for at least 40 caps of that size.

Kumar

Here are a couple of low-res 3D renderings to show what the caps will look like. They'll be black, not multi-colored!
    I'll be getting samples in a couple of weeks, and will post photos at that time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenscap_03.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	5.1 KB 
ID:	152654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenscap_04.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	152655

Thanks,
    Kumar
    Last edited by B.S.Kumar; 9-Jul-2016 at 23:54.

I've Ben on a trip. When I get home, I'll do some measuring. These sound like a great product .
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know