Page 101 of 122 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1215

Thread: Paper negatives

Re: Paper negatives

Wonderful images Peter...do you think you may have inadvertently picked up the mottling look from your pre-flash?
    I know some pre-flash in camera at an out-of-focus neutral background.

...but this suggestion comes from a man who has yet to get off his lazy rear and try shooting some paper negs.

I have gotten similar looking prints from pulling the paper out of the developer to soon...
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

The pre-flash was the same as normal - in the darkroom, a 10W opal bulb in a cardboard housing with 3 pieces of opal perspex under it at a distance of about 3ft, 2 blasts of 0.1s. Has been fine in the past.

I wondered if it could be too long in a bucket of water (I dev'd 3 negs each time before getting them to the bathroom for their proper wash), or possibly erratic temperatures when washing. Can the coating or emulsion degrade under the wrong conditions?

Edit: asking Ilford would be a good idea!

If you find out, Peter, I’d love to know. I’ve gotten similar results from older Ilford paper developer. I’ve been trying ID-11 and it’s been slightly better. Fresh mixed gave me perfect results. The second time I used it, it looked like this. But I think you really need to shake the developer up if it the stock was mixed a few weeks prior.

Quote Originally Posted by donkittle View Post
    If you find out, Peter, I’d love to know. I’ve gotten similar results from older Ilford paper developer. I’ve been trying ID-11 and it’s been slightly better. Fresh mixed gave me perfect results. The second time I used it, it looked like this. But I think you really need to shake the developer up if it the stock was mixed a few weeks prior.
    It was fresh mixed Ilford PQ Universal (old though). If it was badly mixed I would have thought the first neg would be bad but the rocking would thoroughly mix the dev - this was 9 paper negs all with defects!

I'm suspecting either the paper wasn't fully in the dev (but the same amount in the trays as usual, and all nine?) or the water in my 'holding bucket' was too warm. I'm determined to bottom it out anyway.

Hi Peter,

I get the mottling effect too if I try to pull a MGIV negative early in a 'develop by inspection' manner. I have found that MGIV is only reliable for me if I leave the negs to fully develop by having plenty of time left in the developer. By not being able to develop by inspection, it makes calculating the exposure time more tricky as there is then no flexibility in the development phase. I have found that graded papers are much more forgiving and can be developed by inspection and pulled early from the developer if the neg was actually over exposed, without developing the mottling problem (I have graded Kenthene paper that works very well in develop by inspection).

Evan

1] Does anyone have any knowledge/best guess of the effective iso speed of Agfa Multicontrast Premium code MCP 310RC versus Ilford MGIV for paper negatives?
    2] Given that my paper negatives are scanned as soon as they are dry, and the paper negatives are rarely if ever used again. Is there any point in fixing them? The paper negatives are developed using Ilford PQ Universal.
    regards
    Tony

Fixer isn't that costly especially if you mix it from bulk chemicals. and once upon a time I took a class on photography back in 1977 and in 2016 I rediscovered the negatives and decided to print them again. Properly fixed and so-so stored negatives are the real data. Computer files can be very ephemeral. I've got computer disks 1/2 that age I can't open.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    Properly fixed and so-so stored negatives are the real data. Computer files can be very ephemeral. I've got computer disks 1/2 that age I can't open.
    With film I agree and I do fix those. But the question was about paper negatives.

I agree that computer storage is time dependant and very iffy. I've some 5 1/4 inch and 3 1/2 inch 'floppy' disks that require ancient (Computerwise) equipment to read. Also CD & DVDs are no longer provided with the latest computers!!!!
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Is there any point in fixing them? The paper negatives...
    That, of course, is up to you. But my perspective is - if you are not going to fix them, then you place no long-term value in them, and you might as well dispose of them after you are satisfied with your scan.
    I have hundreds of negatives that will probably never be used again, but I fixed and stored them...just saying.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Unfixed paper will start to discolor the moment you take it into normal room light. You may lose shadow detail as a result in your paper negatives. I see no valid reason not to fix them given the minimal cost and effort involved in doing so.