Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Post y'ur Pinkham & Smith Pics!

Re: Post y'ur Pinkham & Smith Pics!

So I guess this has not been as fun for everyone as I thought - my apologies! Perhaps a couple of clues would be helpful: here are the two lenses that took these pictures so you can make your own match.

Carver

So the first one is the SA and the second one is Bi-Quality?

Quote Originally Posted by tom thomas View Post
    Jim, did you ever shoot any pics with the Pinkham Bi-Quality you got from me? Perhaps I missed them when I was sick and not checking the forum.

Tom Thomas
    I didn't use it until about 2 weeks ago for the first time. The piano shot above is done with it, and a couple of portraits. The way the threads are near the center of the barrel meant I had to make up a spacer so that it could go on the Kodak without sticking inside too far and impacting the packard shutter. The portraits aren't great, (mia culpa) but the piano shot makes me want to put it to use more often.

Quote Originally Posted by carverlux View Post
    So I guess this has not been as fun for everyone as I thought - my apologies! Perhaps a couple of clues would be helpful: here are the two lenses that took these pictures so you can make your own match.

Carver
    A pretty small audience me thinks and smaller still the folks that have shot with them. I could only draw a conclusion after seeing the picture of the lenses. .jpg's are tough, even the bigger ones. Do you have your work posted on the web any place at all. That S. A. is just gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    So the first one is the SA and the second one is Bi-Quality?
    Yes, you are right - A is SA and B is Bi-Quality. As there are variations even between lenses of the same type, it is not clear whether all SA or Bi-Q render the same effects.

Suffice it to say that they speak "softly" and carry a .... pardon the pun!

Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    A pretty small audience me thinks and smaller still the folks that have shot with them. I could only draw a conclusion after seeing the picture of the lenses. .jpg's are tough, even the bigger ones. Do you have your work posted on the web any place at all. That S. A. is just gorgeous.
    Jim, you are absolutely right. I guess all of us should post more work to showcase the beauty of these (and other) SF masterpieces. I am a lucky guy to have them and I have a plan to do more outdoor work this year and can hopefully share more over time.

So far, these (and other) lenses have been confined to my Deardorff P8 as it is not simple to bring them to the field safely. I recently finished my field setup, which comprises a Black Beast and a Sinar Shutter that I am quite confident can manage the bulk and weight of something like the Bi-Quality under most outdoor conditions.

Carver

Jenks, Oklahoma and Domazan, Gard, France

Jim, thanx for your reply. When I'd seen the piano photo, I had a feeling it was done with that lens. Beautiful photo. I can hardly wait to see some more.

Also, Carver, your work is just fantastic. The flowers just glow with warm light.

tom thomas

Oh, I love your photos...

New to the LF boards. Just came upon this 14" Bi-Quality and this is my second (rushed) shot. Have a hectic few weeks but look forward to some still life and portrait work in the future. The first one is at about f8 the second just a little less than wide open (I didn't re-check focus and she was moving). Thanks to Jim for pointing me in the right direction on the 8x10 back. Now to find a 4x5 back so I can be a bit more economical about this testing stuff--not to mention I stink and tray developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattk View Post
    New to the LF boards. Just came upon this 14" Bi-Quality and this is my second (rushed) shot. Have a hectic few weeks but look forward to some still life and portrait work in the future. The first one is at about f8 the second just a little less than wide open (I didn't re-check focus and she was moving). Thanks to Jim for pointing me in the right direction on the 8x10 back. Now to find a 4x5 back so I can be a bit more economical about this testing stuff--not to mention I stink and tray developing.
    Excellent first try's Matt. I can see the lens signature easily. Anxious to see more.

owens valley girls

15" semi achromatic on full plate