Page 28 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Question for 'full spectrum' folks: Can you live view focus through an R72 filter?

I must admit that being able to choose a different IR filter for different conditions is highly appealing.
    Everyone's different. I would not want more options, I'd want fewer, or one option.
    No filters to carry around, I just want to shoot from the hip.
    Well, not quite. More considered than that but quick, fast, no set-up.
    The color IR spectrum definitely deserves a camera of its own, I really like Jeffrey's suburban night shots.

Les

That Cedar shot is scrumptious, Sandy.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Yes, if your camera is mirrorless or has live view.

Attached is a brief article about full spectrum conversions.
    https://kolarivision.com/articles/fu...um_conversion/

Sandy
    Sandy, I currently do not have a full spectrum camera. I am not completely sure how they function. The link you provided, and others I have seen do not seem to provide enough information.

A couple of questions.

For a mirrorless camera, does the EVF still work? Can you use it to frame and focus on your subject? Assuming you already have a 720 nm filter on the lens and you are hand holding the camera.

For a dslr, do you have to frame and focus on the live view screen, then put the 720 nm filter on the lens, and finally take the image? Assuming you will always need to use a tripod.

If this is the case, and I would rather not use a tripod all the time, I really need to get a mirrorless camera!

Yes, if your camera is mirrorless or has live view.

Attached is a brief article about full spectrum conversions.
    https://kolarivision.com/articles/fu...um_conversion/

Sandy
    Good to know, Sandy. Thanks!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    For a mirrorless camera, does the EVF still work? Can you use it to frame and focus on your subject? Assuming you already have a 720 nm filter on the lens and you are hand holding the camera.
    Yes, EVF works with the IR or other filter in place on the lens.

For a dslr, do you have to frame and focus on the live view screen, then put the 720 nm filter on the lens, and finally take the image? Assuming you will always need to use a tripod.
    I leave the filter in place and use live view on the rear screen. Handheld can be done tourist-style, looking at the rear screen! You're just using the camera like it's mirrorless. I'm using a D800 (DSLR) since I already had it sitting otherwise unused.

[QUOTE=jon.oman;1609515]

/QUOTE]

Jon,

With a mirrorless camera you can frame and focus either on the EVF or on the LCD with IR. With a DSLR you must frame and focus on the LCD. Hand held the mirrorless cameras are more convenient use, but on a tripod both mirrorless cameras are usually framed and focused on the LCD, same as DSLR with live view.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I received my 950nm camera today, and I gotta say, it's quite different from 830nm, though in a subtle way.
    Exposure times are a bit slower, contrast is a bit higher, but overall, I find the look to be somewhat "cleaner" than my previous 830nm camera.

I couldn't find anyone who would do a 950nm conversion until I found Isaac Szabo: https://www.isaacszabo.com/index.html
    Isaac is an underwater photography / infrared enthusiast in Arkansas, and he may also be the friendliest, most helpful person on the internet.
    He did my 950nm conversion in one day (vs 23 days for LifePixel, who btw did a good job), and his prices are much more competitive than anyone else's.
    He converted a Sony a6300 for me, answered all my dumb questions with a smile, and stayed in constant communication right up to delivery and beyond.
    I cannot recommend him highly enough, and I'm very excited to finally be shooting 950nm IR.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Yes, EVF works with the IR or other filter in place on the lens.

I leave the filter in place and use live view on the rear screen. Handheld can be done tourist-style, looking at the rear screen! You're just using the camera like it's mirrorless. I'm using a D800 (DSLR) since I already had it sitting otherwise unused.
    Alan, Thanks for the information! I actually have a D800 (not converted). I put a Hoya R72 infrared filter on the attached lens, turned on live view, and all I saw on it was a black screen. So I thought, "what the heck, how does a 720 nm filter work on a full spectrum converted camera!". So I guess with full spectrum, replacing the internal IR cut filter with a clear filter then allows each external filter to do its thing. So even if the 720 nm filter has a deep dark color, to the sensor it looks normal and can be displayed on the live view screen. My putting the R72 filter on a non-converted camera, introduced too much of a filter factor, and the sensor was starved for light. Duh!

By the way, did you get a "hot mirror / bandpass filter" for you D800, and by using it, do you get the normal color images that they claim?

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post

Jon,

With a mirrorless camera you can frame and focus either on the EVF or on the LCD with IR. With a DSLR you must frame and focus on the LCD. Hand held the mirrorless cameras are more convenient use, but on a tripod both mirrorless cameras are usually framed and focused on the LCD, same as DSLR with live view.

Sandy
    Thanks Sandy! I think I'm finally getting how full spectrum works between mirrorless and DSLR.

That's great to hear, Ari. It's nice to have options.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know