Page 15 of 129 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital IR

Re: Digital IR

I ordered a filter stepper ring for this lens and trying it out with the IR filter.
    M9, Zeiss Biogon 25mm, Hoya R72

Evergreen Cemetery by tuco, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I ordered a filter stepper ring for this lens and trying it out with the IR filter.
    M9, Zeiss Biogon 25mm, Hoya R72
    That worked out well!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    That worked out well!
    Thanks.

My D810 conversion is going to be on hold. I sold off some of my primes for that system and have relied on some bulky zooms to fill the focal length gaps. But after trying the zooms out with the R72 filter, they didn't do so well with having a hot spot compared to the lenses I've been using on the M9.

[/img]

Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 4-Jul-2021 at 18:03.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Tuco, I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your zooms.

Tuco, it's tough knowing which are the hotspot-prone lenses. Zooms can be more affected than primes.
    Every IR conversion company has a list, published on their website, of good and not-so-good lenses for IR.
    A lot of them are excellent lenses for regular digital photography, but don't work so well with IR.
    One problem with the lists is that some caveats come with them, results can be subjective: tested incorrectly, under improper conditions or settings, or the lens could be suffering from some unknown issue.
    And from what I've read, you're also more likely to get hotspots if you use a filter on your lens vs. converting your camera.

I've tested a few Nikkor lenses with my Nikon D700.

AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED works great across the whole range of mm's and from wide open to f22. Past f11, it becomes diffraction limited though.
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR works great across the whole range of mm's, but starts to get a hot-spot at about f8.
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR - not tested yet.
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR - not test yet.

I have a few older Sigma lenses I have not tested either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Tuco, it's tough knowing which are the hotspot-prone lenses. Zooms can be more affected than primes.
    Every IR conversion company has a list, published on their website, of good and not-so-good lenses for IR.
    A lot of them are excellent lenses for regular digital photography, but don't work so well with IR.
    One problem with the lists is that some caveats come with them, results can be subjective: tested incorrectly, under improper conditions or settings, or the lens could be suffering from some unknown issue.
    And from what I've read, you're also more likely to get hotspots if you use a filter on your lens vs. converting your camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I've tested a few Nikkor lenses with my Nikon D700.

AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED works great across the whole range of mm's and from wide open to f22. Past f11, it becomes diffraction limited though.
    AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR works great across the whole range of mm's, but starts to get a hot-spot at about f8.
    AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR - not tested yet.
    AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR - not test yet.

I have a few older Sigma lenses I have not tested either.
    Thanks for the info.

BTW, Peter, that broken house is a good find.

Another cemetery shot with M9/25mm combo

A friend's wife suffered a stroke five weeks ago and returned home this past weekend. Having some experience as a caretaker, I offered to spend the weekend helping out as she made the transition home and they both adjusted to their new normal situation.

This resulted in me spending some time in an older part of the Phoenix metropolitan area where I hadn't previously photographed, so when I was able to get outside for a few minutes in the early morning, I wandered around a bit with my IR camera and took a handful of handheld photos, including this one around 6:15 am today:

DIY modified, full-spectrum Samsung NX500 | Contax N 24-85 | Hoya R72 | ISO 100 and 1/40 @ f8
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/