Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

Re: Camper Van Suggestions in 2021

https://www.smythkitcars.com/

If you can make one of these VW conversions you can probably come up with a camper shell and have a 50 mpg ride.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

As I recall Joe Englander used to drive a Chevy 2500 with a "collapsible" slide-in camper shell.

I had a Mercedes Sprinter I camped in. Plenty of room. lots of power to go anywhere. Decent mileage, about 21 cruising but it was diesel and the prices vary greatly. A concern is every 10,000 miles they REQUIRE the injection of $1400 and $2200 on an alternating basis. When electrical gremlins moved into my Sprinter, it took MB 42 days to replace all the electronics and auto convenience features only to discover the problem was the antenna was loose and creating electrical interference within the cab (it required tightening the nut holding it in place to fix), I bid the Sprinter adios. I moving toward either a 16' Airstream Bambi (I like the bathroom placement) or an Alinder Expediton with the tiny shower. My philosophy is that if it doesn't have a full bathroom, its a tent. Tow vehicle will be a Lexus GX since its really a Land Cruiser 150 in the rest of the world. I don't think you cannot beat a Toyota for reliability.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

If you are two or less (and use nothing bigger than 4x5 :-) ) you may consider one of these.

https://www.reconcampers.com/

They are quite nice and a good size. As I recall most of the wildly popular national parks have a size restriction for vehicle/trailer combos, so smaller may indeed be better.
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

For my money in Australia the best choice is a Landcruiser. I'm currently converting mine, starting with a roof rack that can be used as a camera platform.

\

Getting that elevation often makes a huge difference to the look of a shot, even making the shot possible, for example if there's a fence in the way.

Our weather is usually pretty good so I'm happy to mostly live outside, but it will be possible to function inside as well if needs be.

Regardless of where you live I think that it's important to have FWD, even the simplest pull over off the road can get you bogged.

Or you could go the full Mad Max and build a 6x6 motorhome

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

But this is road-tripping in style, if you need a bathroom. Abundant for two, but still only 24 feet long. Not as modern, and I’ve taken it down some nasty roads with the air suspension in the back at full height.

I have friends here in Oz that are right into GMCs, they have a club here and have been to the US a few times and hung out with GMC owners/clubs IIRC.

It's not a huge community so you might know them.

I probably do—I know a couple of folks in ‘Stralia that have GMCs.

PM me the names of your friends and we will compare notes.

How about this vehicle? Remove the antenna mount and the exoskeleton will hold a nice camera platform. This guy is hard-core. The Jeep club kids that passed by our camp for this radio contest were duly impressed.

Rick “but no so comfortable for sleeping” Denney

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post

One time when we were driving our Rialta on one back road in New England, we came across a vehicle similar to the one pictured head on. They were stuck because their "Mad Max" motorhome was too wide to fit between the trees on each side of the road. They had to back up their motorhome almost a mile till there was a place where they could make a 12 point U-turn. Here in New England many single lane backroads have trees growing very close to sides of the road. A former co-worker had a full size Hummer, and many a time he had to make a U-turn because his Hummer was too wide to drive down the road. Bigger is not always better....

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    ... They were stuck because their "Mad Max" motorhome was too wide to fit between the trees on each side of the road...Bigger is not always better....
    Very true, in fact when off roading bigger is almost always much worse. One reason most people here stick to "normal" 4x4s, all the tracks are standard Landcruiser/Patrol width.

I lived in the above to 15 years, the 6x6 helped a lot in many places like open sandy river beds (pic), but we never tried to poke it's nose down a narrow bush track.

Eric Woodbury

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant Rig.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	212686

These folks brought this from Europe and were driving from Alaska to the bottom of S. America. At this time, they had dropped anchor in the Sonoran desert in need of a part.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by GRAYnomad View Post
    For my money in Australia the best choice is a Landcruiser. I'm currently converting mine, starting with a roof rack that can be used as a camera platform.

\

Getting that elevation often makes a huge difference to the look of a shot, even making the shot possible, for example if there's a fence in the way.

Our weather is usually pretty good so I'm happy to mostly live outside, but it will be possible to function inside as well if needs be.

Regardless of where you live I think that it's important to have FWD, even the simplest pull over off the road can get you bogged.

Your single cab chassis cruiser with a tray back and fitted with a Trayon Slide-On camper, would be close to the ultimate go anywhere vehicle. Combine that with a rooftop stand for a tripod and you're laughing. That said, my own experiences with rooftop racks and tripods, is one where the slightest breeze gently rocks the vehicle, thereby making even moderately long exposures iffy. If the wind is much greater than 6m a second, you sway somewhat.

That 6x6 looks like an old International F1 ex military. I used to drive those in anger 50 years ago, wonderful vehicle but decidedly slow and heavy on fuel with the petrol motor instead of a diesel. Perfect though for permanent living, which is what appears to be happening.

We have now transferred our 10 year old camper to a 4x4 Isuzu light truck with some modifications to allow us to do some interesting places. We've had that camper for over 10 years on the back of an Isuzu D-Max cab chassis tray back ute. Since switching to the new Isuzu NPS 75/155 truck and semi-permanently attaching the camper to the sprung mounted tray, one hardly notices it's on the back. The Isuzu truck has fantastic live axles front and rear, really eats up the terrain when things start to get interesting. Fitted a Torsen differential to the front, unbelievable unit.

Mick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck_Build_IMG_4882_Web.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	212685