Page 570 of 655 FirstFirst ... 70470520560568569570571572580620 ... LastLast
Results 5,691 to 5,700 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

I bet those subdermal freckles are nearly invisible to the naked eye. That's one of the things I love about this film.

Attachment 208586[/QUOTE]
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Hey folks,

I've been away from this forum for a long time (a year?) because life got in the way. But I'm still planning to build a 14x17 camera, with the intent of using x-ray film. I have three lenses, a shutter I made, bellows, and all the material to make the camera itself. I hope to make the thing over the winter, and am actually putting off cleaning/re-arranging my workshop by writing this post.

Here's my question: Since I last visited, has there been any consensus on a particularly good film -- or few films -- to use, which is available in 14x17? I mean, like some which are less prone to scratching, for example. Or, short of recommendations for particular films, maybe updated info on some, like details on film speed, etc.

I read the entire thread last year, looking for all the information I could find. At the time, I saw lots of folks ask questions, and some folks would respond 'read the thread'. I plan to do that, actually, once winter hits Wisconsin. But for now, I'd like some specific pointers. I'm planning to experiment with my 5x7 camera, and would like to order some film for it that I can then upgrade to once I finish the 14x17.

Thanks!

The best X-Ray film was single sided Kodak Ektascan, which was available in 14X17 and 8X10 only

No longer available from any source I know

All still available X-Ray is very similar, green, blue, double speed means nothing for us. It is all double sided.

There is a bit of Mammo film left, but only metric sizes as far as I know

Be careful what you buy and make sure it is wet process and not DRY, or digital or anything else

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    Hey folks,

I've been away from this forum for a long time (a year?) because life got in the way. But I'm still planning to build a 14x17 camera, with the intent of using x-ray film. I have three lenses, a shutter I made, bellows, and all the material to make the camera itself. I hope to make the thing over the winter, and am actually putting off cleaning/re-arranging my workshop by writing this post.

Here's my question: Since I last visited, has there been any consensus on a particularly good film -- or few films -- to use, which is available in 14x17? I mean, like some which are less prone to scratching, for example. Or, short of recommendations for particular films, maybe updated info on some, like details on film speed, etc.

I read the entire thread last year, looking for all the information I could find. At the time, I saw lots of folks ask questions, and some folks would respond 'read the thread'. I plan to do that, actually, once winter hits Wisconsin. But for now, I'd like some specific pointers. I'm planning to experiment with my 5x7 camera, and would like to order some film for it that I can then upgrade to once I finish the 14x17.

Thanks!
    Tin Can

Best to get film in hand while you can. It all appears on the slippery slope to oblivion.

I've had good luck getting my film from these Guys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-Green-...AAAOSwjJZfgG3t

They charge only exact shipping per weight
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Mee Too Jim, I will be buying a case of 500 8X10 sheets on payday

I prefer cases as then it comes in another box

I once bought 2 boxes of 14X17 which weigh a lot, one box failed, but the inner black bag held the disaster of lightstruck at bay

For the record, I have been warning of the disappearance of X-Ray for at least a year

on eBay I see long expired left over

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Best to get film in hand while you can. It all appears on the slippery slope to oblivion.
    Tin Can

O, man; I'm glad to have checked back now! I do see, after looking around the various sources I found last year, that the pickings definitely seem slimmer than they were a year ago. I do see some unexpired stuff still being sold, but in many fewer sizes (I haven't seen any 5x7 yet), and fewer film choices, too.

Speaking of expired, how old would it be worth buying, if I find some that's been stored at room temperature or better?

Nobody knows if any film has been stored correctly or gone bad, life is a gamble

but that's why I only buy from my normal sources

Which are ZZ Medical for X-Ray and B&H for most other film or Freestyle for stuff B&H doesn't have

any of them will support their products

but I have shot 120 year old glass plates

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    O, man; I'm glad to have checked back now! I do see, after looking around the various sources I found last year, that the pickings definitely seem slimmer than they were a year ago. I do see some unexpired stuff still being sold, but in many fewer sizes (I haven't seen any 5x7 yet), and fewer film choices, too.

Speaking of expired, how old would it be worth buying, if I find some that's been stored at room temperature or better?
    Tin Can

Thanks, good points!

It's off-topic, but I'd like to know more about those glass plates sometime. And, though it's been a long time, I still really appreciate your clear, generous help.

A 5x7 from my ROC Kenwood. Fuji HRU. Rodinol 1:25 for 4 minutes, tank developed. Shot at ISO 100.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B431463-D47B-4D0C-B4E7-EF4A28A0842A.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	208624