Greetings!

I recently acquired a 16" Wollensak Vitax with a Studio Shutter. Everything is in good condition except for the shutter, which is sticky and slow and won't even close all the way when the switch is on CLOSED. I haven't even tried firing the shutter with a release since it clearly won't work properly without a CLA.

I brought it by Camera Techs, about the last place in Seattle that works on LF shutters, but they've never worked on a Studio Shutter before, so they didn't want to touch it. I spoke with Carol at Flutot's in CA, and she said that she's pretty confident she can fix it. She charges $100 plus shipping, etc. for a CLA.

My question: Do any of you fellows use this shutter? I know several of you have a Vitax, but I'm wondering if most of you use alternative shutters and just use your Studio Shutters as diaphragms. If you do use this shutter, I would really appreciate it if you could reply with your impressions. What is the fastest speed you think you are able to get on a typical exposure? Does the shutter seem reliable?

I could have Reno Farinelli build a Packard Shutter for me, but it would have to be a 4.5 inch No. 6, which would total almost $600. The advantage of that would be a steady 1/30 exposure, versus the Studio Shutter, which is Bulb only. Of course, I could scour the used market for some other shutter that would work with a lens that has a diameter of over 4 inches, but I'm sick of shopping. I just want to make photographs.

For now, I'll probably go with the CLA from Flutot's, then try out the Studio Shutter. If it doesn't seem satisfactory, then I'll order a Packard Shutter in the Spring. But if any of you fellows have any input that might be helpful, I'd be glad to hear it, as ever.

Kind regards,

Cameron Cornell