Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Identifying Wistas - DX or DXII!!

Identifying Wistas - DX or DXII!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas White View Post
    I'm considering buying one of these yeah, but I'm trying to figure out which one has the "back shift" movement as that is the one I'd prefer. But like you said, they both look pretty similar so it's hard to tell! I've noticed Bob saying on another post that, although this model doesn't have the international back, the springs do allow the use of roll film holders.
    I have a cherrywood DX and can confirm that about roll film holders. That said indeed both of those cameras above look like DX cameras to me.

Re: Identifying Wistas - DX or DXII!!

In addition to the brass thumb plates, the DX has three black horizontal plates under the ground glass. The DX II has only two, since it does not have back shift only swing. I had a Zone VI branded Wista DX II in rosewood. I think those above are Cherry. You can't tell by the color since wood stain can make it any color. I could tell by looking at the wood grain. The rosewood grain (or rings) or much tighter than cherry and seem to show up more in the wood. moot point though, since you haven't even seen the real deal yet. There are enough Wistas and other field cameras out there, so don't be in a hurry to buy from someone who's not forthcoming with real pictures.