Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Lack of Knowledge in Wet Plate

Re: My Lack of Knowledge in Wet Plate

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    then what the point of them moving to the new forum platform. Keep the old one so people can read it but force people to post on the new one.
    Oh my gosh! I just noticed your location Light Guru!!! You are in SLC!! So am I! Would watching you create wet plate be an option for me?!
    "The very instant that I saw you did
    My heart fly to your service." Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by stephography View Post
    Also, one poster mentioned not using cyanide while I'm learning. What would I use in place of cyanide?

I live in Salt Lake City. It would be amazing to find someone here doing wet plate. I guess I will have to start asking around.

THANK YOU all again!

Steph
    You can use sodium thiosulfate to fix rather than the incredibly poisonous potassium cyanide.

You might look into taking a class from Quinn Jacobson. He's in Denver and gives a lot of workshops. It's not right there in Salt Lake but it's not too far, either, once you get rid of all that snow.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    You can use sodium thiosulfate to fix rather than the incredibly poisonous potassium cyanide.

You might look into taking a class from Quinn Jacobson. He's in Denver and gives a lot of workshops. It's not right there in Salt Lake but it's not too far, either, once you get rid of all that snow.
    Thanks for the info on the cyanide sub! And I will definitely look into Quinn Jacobson's workshops!
    "The very instant that I saw you did
    My heart fly to your service." Shakespeare

My Lack of Knowledge in Wet Plate

I think I will definitely start out with 5x7 to cut down on costs in the beginning while I'm getting my feet (hands) wet I do have a question about getting a back for my current 5x7 camera. If I get a back, say from Chamonix, will it just fit right down into the back of my camera where the film plates go? Or do I have to modify the back to accommodate it?
    The wet plate hold from Chamonix is not a back for the camera, it is just a standard size film holder that fits into standard size camera backs. Just like regular film holders.

I live in Salt Lake City. It would be amazing to find someone here doing wet plate. I guess I will have to start asking around.
    I also live in salt lake and have been wanting to learn wet plate. If you find someone local willing to teach the process please let me know.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

I wanted to thank Denise for posting the http://www.thelightfarm.com/ link back in post #10 of this thread. It was only about a week ago I saw a YouTube video on making a dry plate holder from a standard sheet film holder. I didn't even know people were doing dry plates. Reading through the Light Farm site, I get the impression dry plate making may be a bit more involved when doing the coating than wet plates, but way more convenient to use in the field. I've definitely Bookmarked the Light Farm site for when I have more free time to experiment.

Len

I also live in salt lake and have been wanting to learn wet plate. If you find someone local willing to teach the process please let me know.
    You've never done it but you are advising people to learn film first, weplate "much later" and telling them it's difficult, expensive and toxic here? http://www.largeformatphotography.in...l=1#post987701

I've been following this forum for a bit, so, wet plate can't be done on a normal LF camera that takes film? It needs a special camera?

wet plate can be done on any camera, you just need a plate holder.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've been following this forum for a bit, so, wet plate can't be done on a normal LF camera that takes film? It needs a special camera?
    Read the entire thread I posted this link early on as a place to buy wet plate holders.
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/wetplateholders.html

I think that a link to another option and even to how to modify a regular holder has also been posted.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Read the entire thread I posted this link early on as a place to buy wet plate holders.
    http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/wetplateholders.html

I think that a link to another option and even to how to modify a regular holder has also been posted.
    I wasn't sure that a wet plate holder would still slide into a normal Holden's holder... Uhhh back... Normal holder'a back... That's kinda what I was trying to work out. So now I have the answer thanks.