Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternatives)

Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternatives)

I am awaiting shipment of a Sinar Copal Auto Aperture Shutter which I will be using with barrel lenses. It will be arriving with just the short release button, but I will require a long release. What alternatives to the OEM Sinar cable release work work successfully?

Second question. I am aware they made a cable that auto cocks the shutter upon loading the film holder. How long was this cable? I am wondering if it will work with tight portraits on 8x10.
    Has anyone made a DIY version that works?

Re: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternativ

Dustyman,

Not that I'm aware of for both of your questions.
    For the second one, it will work probably with very long belows extensions, looking to it if I remember well it's nearby 70cm, so you guess what belows draw will cover,

Cheers,

Renato

Re: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternativ

2 releases attach to a Sinar Shutter

521.50 (old x1210) Automatic cable This cable attached to the film back and closes the shutter automatically when a film holder in pushed in and opens the shutter when the film holder is removed. It has a relatively short throw.

521-61 (old x1202) Cable release. This one has the long throw. This shutter release cable is one of the hardest Sinar parts to find and goes for premium money if you can even find one. The screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.

"What alternatives to the OEM Sinar cable release work work successfully?" I have never found another cable release that has a throw long enough to work with a Sinar shutter, and I've tried to find one (to be my spare) for years without luck. I once read that the threads on the short shutter releases for the Copal shutters that were used on a Polaroid MP-4 are interchangeable with the threads in a Sinar shutter - THEY ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE, the Polaroid is a fraction of a mm smaller in diameter than the Sinar shutter cord, most would need to use a micrometer to measure the difference.

I always recommend to people that if they buy a Sinar shutter to make sure the priority cable release comes with it.

Greg is right. The long throw shutter releases are harder to find then hens teeth and if you do find one, they want your first born for them.

I have never heard of an alternative either but if there is an alternative then someone on this forum would know.

You may need to buy an additional shutter with the cables included and keep the one you have as a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I always recommend to people that if they buy a Sinar shutter to make sure the priority cable release comes with it.

Greg is right. The long throw shutter releases are harder to find then hens teeth and if you do find one, they want your first born for them.

I have never heard of an alternative either but if there is an alternative then someone on this forum would know.

You may need to buy an additional shutter with the cables included and keep the one you have as a spare.
    Before I found a shutter cord for my Sinar shutter (came with an un-repariable broken Sinar shutter I won at auction), I had considered having a jeweler craftsperson who worked in metals on the macro basis micro-weld? extensions to both ends of a shutter. Threaded end a machinist friend could have made for me. One thing to remember is that the shutter cord REALLY extends far into the Sinar shutter. Fortunately I found that cord. Broken shutter unfortunately (per sent to KEH for repair) had been in a flood and totally corroded inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Before I found a shutter cord for my Sinar shutter (came with an un-repariable broken Sinar shutter I won at auction), I had considered having a jeweler craftsperson who worked in metals on the macro basis micro-weld? extensions to both ends of a shutter. Threaded end a machinist friend could have made for me. One thing to remember is that the shutter cord REALLY extends far into the Sinar shutter. Fortunately I found that cord. Broken shutter unfortunately (per sent to KEH for repair) had been in a flood and totally corroded inside.
    That's a shame about your shutter. I couldn't live with myself if I sold someone junk like that.

Thanks to all who replied. I just ended up biting the bullet and bought an original cable on Ebay.

With respect to the shutter cocking cable, anybody attempt to rig one? It looks like it has the same thread/pin configuration on both ends. Is it the same type of thread as the original release cable? Any additional insights about the design and construction of this cable would be very helpful. I would like one long enough to cover a fully extended 8x10 bellows.

Sorry a bit late!

There is a previous long thread on this and alternatives are/were available on ebay.
    I made a quick, very basic, alternative as a spare when travelling with my Sinar Copal. This is made from three pieces:

- an outer sleeve. a section of copper based automotive brake tube with a male 4m /70 metric thread cut into the end.
    - a hollow hobby brass tube than slides through the centre.
    - a long thin steel nail that fits into the pressure end of the actuating brass rod to add extra stiffness.

The normal cable will automatically spring back due to an internal cable spring. The Copal Shutter, in itself, has quite a strong returning spring. The reduced combined return spring effect is offset by the lack of friction in the long and curved normal cable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Hello All,

There is also this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Release-Butt...0AAOSwiLdV7qS6

I bought one and it works just fine with my three Green Norma Shutters. And I also use it with my Plaubel Makiflexes. The Auto Cable I also have three or four around. By memory it's about 2 meters long. Sinar made a longer one, but I have never been able to find one in thirty years. Again by memory, it may have been a connector that put two of the shorter cables together.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Interesting alternative, it looks quite solid, drawback off course is that your camera is quite solidly secured on a heavy tripod to avoid camera shake when pressing the very short shutter release!

best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Hello All,

There is also this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Release-Butt...0AAOSwiLdV7qS6

I bought one and it works just fine with my three Green Norma Shutters. And I also use it with my Plaubel Makiflexes. The Auto Cable I also have three or four around. By memory it's about 2 meters long. Sinar made a longer one, but I have never been able to find one in thirty years. Again by memory, it may have been a connector that put two of the shorter cables together.