Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 lens turret, practical for home darkroom?

Re: 3 lens turret, practical for home darkroom?

The lens turret on the Durst does not alter it's neg holder/lens board to base board height. Does this hold true for the XL?

If yes, it may be worth trying the lens turret due to the ease of lens change when printing different format sizes. If there is one primary format size to be printed, the turret is of no advantage. Changing lenses on lens boards is fine.

105mm for up to 6x6

180mm for 4x5

240mm for 5x7

As for lens storage, they stay on the enlarger and the enlarger is covered to prevent dust and dirt from causing problems. The front of the lenses are capped and covered when not used.

There is a trade off when using shorter focal lengths for a given format, the greater the angle of coverage required, the greater the light fall off towards the edges as the magnification ratios increase.

Like many things, there are trade offs

Bernice
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Bernice
    Geee it would be nice to have the vertical space for a L138.
    Sadly I can't even use an XL chassis, due to limited vertical space in my "basement."

Right now the plan with my current lenses is 50+80+135.
    If/when I get a 105 it will be 50+80+105, 135 on a single mount.

And a tupperware box big enough for the turret + lenses.

But Andy's point brings up a related question. Do you store your lenses on the turret/lens board/panel, or do you remove the lens and put it into its jewel case?
    I used to remove the lens and put it back into its jewel case, and so does the guy at the local camera shop.
    This is easy to do for a threaded lensboard/panel like on my Durst (M600 and L1000), but a PiA for the Omega lens board/turret where retaining rings secure most of the lens. I would have to use the retaining ring wrench to remove and reinstall the lenses each time (not something that I would like to do often).
    I'm inclined to keep the lenses on the board/turret and make a tupperware box to fit it.

Bernice
    The Omega turret simply rotates.
    However, there are different lens adapters that goes onto the turret for a flat or slightly extended positioning of the lens. I think the Omega extended lens adapters is really to move the rear of the lens far enough away from the turret base, so the turret can rotate. This is the problem with putting a 50mm lens on a turret, it may not be able to be moved out far enough so the turret can rotate, w/o affecting its ability to focus when the head is elevated to the top.

The film/lens setup that I am planning for is:
    35mm = 50mm lens
    6x6 = 80mm lens
    6x7 and 6x9 = 100 or 105mm lens
    4x5 = 135mm lens

The reference to the XL chassis is the Extra Long girder/column, compared to the standard length girder on the Omega D5 enlarger. The XL chassis with the longer column would be able to print a larger image on the baseboard. The problem is I do not have the vertical clearance in my short "basement" to install and use an XL chassis. I would have to have the baseboard down on the floor, or no more than 1 foot above the floor, to fit.
    That is why I finally decided to use a 135mm lens for 4x5 rather than a 150mm lens on the Omega D5.

BTW, re the reference to a L1000. I am currently rehabilitating a Durst Laborator 1000. What that really means is that I am gathering the missing parts for it to get it fully operational. And as expected for a Durst, parts are hard/virtually impossible to find, so I am being pushed to fabrication to replace some of the missing parts.

I had a Beseler 3 lens turret. I got rid of it. It was impossible to align, and even if it were possible, I would have had to align it every time I changed the lens. That is no advantage over individual lens boards at a higher cost. Maybe the Omega has different features.

Also, the maximum size of lens was limited on the turret so it would not accept a Schneider Apo Componon 150.

Lens turret is more of a convenience feature for printing different negative sizes often. Lens turrets are very common on larger Durst enlargers, but changing lenses is simple and easy on a durst which may not be of significant advantage over no turret.

If the added turret alters lens alignment, this would put another minus on having a lens turret as it must be problem free and add convenience and not add any problems.

Given the limited enlarger head to base board distance, the 135mm maybe the choice for this set-up. Factor in what size prints are to be made from a given negative size and how often. If big prints are made all the time in limited space, the 135mm could be the only choice, if not then there could be other options. Check the light fall-off and lens alignment from center to edges with the 135mm at max enlarger head to base board distance as this could affect print quality.

The Durst L1000 is nice, what parts do you need to get it up and running?

Bernice

Bernice
    The Omega turret simply rotates.
    However, there are different lens adapters that goes onto the turret for a flat or slightly extended positioning of the lens. I think the Omega extended lens adapters is really to move the rear of the lens far enough away from the turret base, so the turret can rotate. This is the problem with putting a 50mm lens on a turret, it may not be able to be moved out far enough so the turret can rotate, w/o affecting its ability to focus when the head is elevated to the top.

The film/lens setup that I am planning for is:
    35mm = 50mm lens
    6x6 = 80mm lens
    6x7 and 6x9 = 100 or 105mm lens
    4x5 = 135mm lens

The reference to the XL chassis is the Extra Long girder/column, compared to the standard length girder on the Omega D5 enlarger. The XL chassis with the longer column would be able to print a larger image on the baseboard. The problem is I do not have the vertical clearance in my short "basement" to install and use an XL chassis. I would have to have the baseboard down on the floor, or no more than 1 foot above the floor, to fit.
    That is why I finally decided to use a 135mm lens for 4x5 rather than a 150mm lens on the Omega D5.

BTW, re the reference to a L1000. I am currently rehabilitating a Durst Laborator 1000. What that really means is that I am gathering the missing parts for it to get it fully operational. And as expected for a Durst, parts are hard/virtually impossible to find, so I am being pushed to fabrication to replace some of the missing parts.

Jerold
    Others have brought up the alignment question also.
    I will have to see about the alignment when I set it up. I do not have a laser alignment tool, so I will just have to see how well I can align it with a bubble level.

Bernice,
    You are right about it being a convenience. I will give it a try, and see how it works. If it does not work out, I can easily go back to individual lens on single lens mount. I have 4 Omega single lens mounts which should be enough for all my lenses.

As for the Durst, I'm looking for the following things for the L1000:
    - TAUCALO heat absorbing glass. (The holder for the HA glass is shallow. It looks like Durst used a very thin heat absorbing glass. I'm trying to find a replacement HA glass that will fit. Everything I've found so far is a little to much too thick.)
    - TAUFIL filter drawer. (My second to last resort is to "try" to make one out of brass pieces from the hobby shop. My last resort is to give up on the filter drawer and just lay the MC filters on top of the upper condenser.)
    - OTOPFE negative masks for 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5. (I am planning to cut down the negative carriers from an Omega D2 to fit in place of the OTOPFE negative mask, that will be a fair amount of work.)
    - OTOGLAS AN. (I plan to call Focalpoint and order the AN glass from them).

Inside the mirror chamber of the condenser head, there is a slot that runs downward at an angle. It looks like it is/was meant for some kind of filter. Do you know what that slot is for? There is nothing mentioned in the manual about that slot.

Thanks
    Gary

Bernice,
    You are right about it being a convenience. I will give it a try, and see how it works. If it does not work out, I can easily go back to individual lens on single lens mount. I have 4 Omega single lens mounts which should be enough for all my lenses.

*That may be the thing to try before heading off into creating a problem where a problem can be avoided.. More complexity usually results in more problems unless the whole system is very well designed as a system.

As for the Durst, I'm looking for the following things for the L1000:
    - TAUCALO heat absorbing glass. (The holder for the HA glass is shallow. It looks like Durst used a very thin heat absorbing glass. I'm trying to find a replacement HA glass that will fit. Everything I've found so far is a little to much too thick.)
    - TAUFIL filter drawer. (My second to last resort is to "try" to make one out of brass pieces from the hobby shop. My last resort is to give up on the filter drawer and just lay the MC filters on top of the upper condenser.)
    - OTOPFE negative masks for 6x6, 6x9 and 4x5. (I am planning to cut down the negative carriers from an Omega D2 to fit in place of the OTOPFE negative mask, that will be a fair amount of work.)
    - OTOGLAS AN. (I plan to call Focalpoint and order the AN glass from them).

Inside the mirror chamber of the condenser head, there is a slot that runs downward at an angle. It looks like it is/was meant for some kind of filter. Do you know what that slot is for? There is nothing mentioned in the manual about that slot.

*There might some L1200 color head bit laying around, I'll have a look and see what in these bits and get back to you on it.

*Used FP for aNr glass years ago to replace the broken Durst aNr glass (the Durst aNr glass is really, really nice). The FP glass works and their service is good.

More later Gary..

Bernice

Bernice
    Are you the same Bernice in the SF Large Format group?
    If so maybe we can meet on Sat. I'm planning to be at the Niles Canyon RR meet. Although I will be bringing my 6x6 rather than the 4x5. I can't carry the 4x5, all its stuff and the tripod any significant distance from the car.

Gary

Yes, that is me..

You will find me dragging a cart with a gray Sinar case on a cart with tripod and film holder bag. If it is within rolling distance and terrain that the cart-O-stuff can deal with, images happen. If not, then the images does not happen.. I'm not shy about taking that Sinar where it needs to be to make images if it really must be done.

This will be the first time for me with this group.. actually with any LF group. In the past it has been over 80% solo doing LF, at times maybe a few partners in crime.. and this is a significantly large group for this meeting.

More later
    Bernice

Bernice
    Are you the same Bernice in the SF Large Format group?
    If so maybe we can meet on Sat. I'm planning to be at the Niles Canyon RR meet. Although I will be bringing my 6x6 rather than the 4x5. I can't carry the 4x5, all its stuff and the tripod any significant distance from the car.

Gary

MY 50mm Nikkor is not compatible with the turret on Omega D5 XL. It can't get close enough to the film when mounted on the turret. If I change the mount to move the lens closer it prevents the turret from rotating. It's a no win situation with that lens. So half the time I pull the turret to use the 50 and mount the single lens board. The other times I just print with the 80mm. Both are only minor annoyances.

@Larry
    I hope to find out if that is the case or not with my 50.
    I just need to get the D5 setup so I can test it. It's currently broken down waiting for the darkroom to be constructed. But I might set it up temporarily just to resolve this nagging question.
    I'm hoping that I might be able to get away with it on the turret, since I have the shorter non-XL chassis. I have a single spacer under the lens adapter to move it just a bit away so the turret will turn w/o hitting the lens.
    But if it does not focus at the top of the girder, I have a single lens mount ready to move the adapter and 50mm lens to.
    I can use it either way, as I've never used a turret before it won't be like I'm going backwards to put it on a single lens mount.