Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest an air conditioner

Re: Suggest an air conditioner

Most of my friends in Japan have these split units and they are really very effective. I've seen quite a few brands and they do have some differences, but they are all far better than the noisy klutzy window units we seem to love. I have a friend who has a welding shop here in Tucson. He has a big Fujitsu split unit up on one wall and it does the job even in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Most of my friends in Japan have these split units and they are really very effective. I've seen quite a few brands and they do have some differences, but they are all far better than the noisy klutzy window units we seem to love. I have a friend who has a welding shop here in Tucson. He has a big Fujitsu split unit up on one wall and it does the job even in the summer.
    Yep...

I wish I had a model to suggest in the USA. When I visit my relatives in Japan I am amazed at how quiet their air conditioning units are - you simply don't hear all that rattle - they are truly 'whisper quiet' and typically mount just above the window - not in the window, allowing easier access.

I've been using a mini-split ductless Hitachi (~$400) in my lab for over 10 years. It quietly and efficiently warms, cools, and dehumidifies air (it slices, it dices, it crawls on its belly like a reptile!) to my working preference of 20ºC. With only wiring and copper pipe to the exterior heat pump, it is the best solution to any enclosed space. Be aware that they recycle air within the space. There is no air ducting to the outside, so you would need fresh air intake/out take as well. While I had some trouble finding a qualified installer at the time, it has become more widespread over the years, especially in small unit construction (apartments, condos, office spaces) in the U.S., and as has already been said, it is ubiquitous elsewhere in the world. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding either split units or installers anywhere in the Southwest, these days.

Mini– Spilt Air Handler/Fan upper right, Heat Pump Condenser other side of wall (outside):

Exhaust fan over sink, fresh air (passive) intake opposite side ceiling (not in view).

umop episdn

Vinny, I did indeed see your posting. No, I did not dismiss it.

For you folks suggesting the split/ductless models, I am a fair bit curious--how do they handle the water condensate off the coils? Is there a drain line that has to be installed? It can get a bit humid here at times and I don't immediately see from the pictures what these units do with all that water.

There is a condensation hose (out the right of my pix) which may be routed to the outside. Mine simply empties into the far corner of my wash sink, which is conveniently located directly under the fan unit. The fan must be installed correctly to establish a proper angle for the condensation tray within the unit to drain into the hose.

We use one of these split units to cool a closet turned into a computer server room. 24/7 /365 for 2 years and no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    For you folks suggesting the split/ductless models, I am a fair bit curious--how do they handle the water condensate off the coils? Is there a drain line that has to be installed? It can get a bit humid here at times and I don't immediately see from the pictures what these units do with all that water.
    You're welcome.

umop episdn

Thank you again to everyone who has responded. I greatly appreciate it. Please, if anyone has any other models or ideas I'd be happy to hear of it.

For what it's worth I did find a install-it-yourself split air conditioning system. The compressor mounts outside, and the piping can be run through the wall or amazingly out a window. You don't need a HVAC company to put this model in. Really interesting is that it also runs on 110 volts instead of 220 (licensed electrician territory) so you just plug the thing into a regular wall outlet.

http://www.friedrich.com/products/re.../window/breeze

You will be looking at a power cord and a insulated refrigerant line on the inside wall though. Yet it is a very interesting option.

Looks like you found a winner. The quick connect feature and portability is interesting. Let us know if you go with this system and how it works out. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    Thank you again to everyone who has responded. I greatly appreciate it. Please, if anyone has any other models or ideas I'd be happy to hear of it.

For what it's worth I did find a install-it-yourself split air conditioning system. The compressor mounts outside, and the piping can be run through the wall or amazingly out a window. You don't need a HVAC company to put this model in. Really interesting is that it also runs on 110 volts instead of 220 (licensed electrician territory) so you just plug the thing into a regular wall outlet.

http://www.friedrich.com/products/re.../window/breeze

You will be looking at a power cord and a insulated refrigerant line on the inside wall though. Yet it is a very interesting option.
    It sounds like a great option. Did you get a quote yet? The closest dealer for me is in Canada, can they be shipped?