Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 6x9 technical camera

Re: 6x9 technical camera

If you are locked into 120 film because of the Coolscan, then you may want a dedicated 6x9 camera. However, a 4x5 system is often cheaper with no to little weight gain, and you have the option of shooting different formats - 6x12, 6x9, 6x7, etc. If you are comfortable with the image quality you get from your Super 23 using the groundglass to focus, compose and add movements, then you will be comfortable with a 6x9 camera (though films backs should be considered - I believe the Mamiya backs are the best).

A digital back complicates this considerably due to the precision required. If you go with film only, then you have a lot of options at a lot of price points. If you are set on digital, then you need a very precise camera, and the options dwindle to only a few, with the best costing beaucoup $$$, and weighing a ton due to the geared movements.

IMHO the Linhof baby technika is a sweet camera because it is so versatile. But amazing work can be done with a Speed or Crown Graphic.
    Peter Y.

Dan, Drew, Peter. Thanks a lot for your time and advices.
    I will try to find a 4x5 camera, Sinar or Cambo.

They are modern, cheaper that 2X3, modular and have lots of replacements, much more Sinar than Cambo, but for my type of work that's not very important.

Sincerely, thanks!
    I will post my first pictures as soon as I can.

Brandán

Quote Originally Posted by Brandan View Post
    Dan, Drew, Peter. Thanks a lot for your time and advices.
    I will try to find a 4x5 camera, Sinar or Cambo.

They are modern, cheaper that 2X3, modular and have lots of replacements, much more Sinar than Cambo, but for my type of work that's not very important.

Sincerely, thanks!
    I will post my first pictures as soon as I can.

Brandán
    After you find one then look at a Linhof TK 23S.

If you are in to wide angle's and 120 film a 4x5 will to restricted most of the time. There is a reason why good second hand 2X3 camera's are expensive.

I will second Bob's advise: Be a bit patient and look for a used Linhof Technikardan 45S. It is extremely versatile, built to the highest standards imaginable, and folds down compact for travel. Along with the Arca Swiss metric compact (and Toyo VX125) it is the do-it-all technical field camera... it just happens to be much cheaper used than the Arcas on the used market.

This shot was done stitching two 4x5 negatives on the Technikardan using back shifts (and front rise, of course). Effectively it is a 5x8" image. Used a Rodenstock Grandagon-N 115mm f/6.8

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gasholder_lores.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	88278

WHOA!!!!

Sweet dreams come from this image.
    Thanks for sharing.

But Bob says the TK 23S and you recommend the 45S. Both are superb I suppose.
    There is one selling right now at Devil's Bay 1500 eur ...

Beware, its not the S-version, which has zero-detents. You certainly want the S-version if you want to use a roll film back... you probably want the S-version no matter what.
    Bob answers your questions and I tell you what you really want no, I just agree with the advise given to you earlier, that it would be a good idea to go for a 4x5 instead of dedicated 6x9... all of the sudden you will start appreciating the 4x5 ratio and handling sheet film really isn't anything to worry about. I see your scanning issue, but an Epson V700 or V750 isn't too expensive and offers good results. Alternatively you might have - as I do - a lab or gallery, where you can rent Imacons by the hour. I can scan 10 4x5's in 1 hour and it costs $12/€8. Cheap and very good quality.

Thanks for the nice words on the image. Its the inside of Copenhagen's finest cathedral, ie. an unused Gasholder. Sadly they blew it up this fall:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gasholder_blowup.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	88298

... a truly sad moment (for me at least). Captured on a Linhof Technika V with a 210 Symmar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandan View Post
    WHOA!!!!

Sweet dreams come from this image.
    Thanks for sharing.

But Bob says the TK 23S and you recommend the 45S. Both are superb I suppose.
    There is one selling right now at Devil's Bay 1500 eur ...
    You asked about 23 cameras and I answered with the TK 23S. But I personally would get the 45 version. The 45 version is 4 square inches larger, has a 20" rail rather then a 12' rail, has more movement and can take slide-in or International type roll backs including 6x12 backs. The 23 version can not shoot 612 format.
    The camera offered is the original version not the S version. The easiest way to tell the difference between a 23 or 45 S and non-S version is the L standard. On the S it is made from 3 pieces, two straight pieces and a joining block to make an L shape. On the original version it was made from one piece of metal bent into an L shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    You asked about 23 cameras and I answered with the TK 23S. But I personally would get the 45 version. The 45 version is 4 square inches larger, has a 20" rail rather then a 12' rail, has more movement and can take slide-in or International type roll backs including 6x12 backs. The 23 version can not shoot 612 format.
    The camera offered is the original version not the S version. The easiest way to tell the difference between a 23 or 45 S and non-S version is the L standard. On the S it is made from 3 pieces, two straight pieces and a joining block to make an L shape. On the original version it was made from one piece of metal bent into an L shape.
    Is the Linhoff TK 23S precise enough for use with MF digital back?

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Is the Linhoff TK 23S precise enough for use with MF digital back?

Sandy
    Sandy,

I'd go for an Alpa/Arca/Cambo tech camera or Linhof Techno if planning to use as a 'technical' camera with a digital back, personally. Although the Technikardan 23/23S, TK45/45S, Master Technika classic/2000/3000 are all digitally capable, having very fine-geared movements really aids in exacting composition IMO... That's where the first one's I mentioned are really designed for digital, but also work well with rollfilm too!

Just get your wallet ready, prices, even used on these 'tech' cameras are STEEP compared to a used MT2000 and a couple of really nice lenses. Not to mention, more versatile IMO...

-Dan

Addition:

Personally, having handled(but not used all) of the ones I mentioned above in one manner or another, MY favorite one thus far was the Arca RM3di, the built-in tilt function is handier than most think!

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/..._detail&p=3167