Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 6x9 technical camera

Re: 6x9 technical camera

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Is the Linhoff TK 23S precise enough for use with MF digital back?

Sandy
    For a while I used a TK 23S with a phase one P65+. The TK23S is know replaced with a Linhof m679cs. If that answers your question. Also the TK can not be used with a sliding back.

I use a TK23S, and it's a very fine technical film camera - love it. But I think I would agree that it is not really suited to use with a digital back, despite the images in the brochure.

That situation may change if and when one of the digital back manufacturers comes up with a back with true live view - there is certainly demand for such a product, so it is probably only a matter of time. However, since it is likley that new lenses will also be needed to get the most out of such a back anyway, the actual camera becomes very much the lesser problem in the overall deal - almost petty cash by comparison.

For the moment, especially if working to a budget, I'd recommend dropping the digital upgrade option as a bit of a red herring as things currently stand. A TK23S or an Arca-Swiss 6X9 with film are both capapble of very good images indeed - and a Coolcsan 9000 works well with such a package (I use one, too!).

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    For a while I used a TK 23S with a phase one P65+. The TK23S is know replaced with a Linhof m679cs. If that answers your question. Also the TK can not be used with a sliding back.
    This is misleading.
    The 23S is not replaced at all. It and the 45S are current cameras.
    Linhof now makes two different cameras designed primarily for digital:
    The Techno
    The M67cs
    Both cameras take the same back accessories, including the two sliding backs that Linhof currently offers for these cameras. A third sliding back is available for the Master Technika Classic and the Master Technika 3000 and the ealier versions back to the IV.

The Linhof sliding backs and the Linhof Digi Adapters for the TK cameras (23 and 45 versions) accept adapter plates to mount digital backs that fit Hasselblad H, Hasselblad V, Mamiya 645 AF and Contax 645 cameras. Most of these backs have a viewing function for focusing, composing, previewing and examining the file after the shot.

Did you mean that you replaced your TK23S with the M679cs rather then implying that the TK23S is discontinued.

What I mean is that my experience is that, for my work with a phase one p65+ the TK 23 S is lacking the required precision and I have replaced mine with a M679.

Quote Originally Posted by gary mulder View Post
    What I mean is that my experience is that, for my work with a phase one p65+ the TK 23 S is lacking the required precision and I have replaced mine with a M679.
    I hoped that that was the answer. But I didn't want others to think that the 23 TK S was no longer available,

Since your original post is now almost a year old, I guess you have made your decision and purchased a camera. However, in case you are still reviewing various options, I'd like to fill you in on the Plaubel Peco Juniors, the 6.5 x 9 cm model and the 9 x 12 cm camera. The 6 x 9 Peco Junior was designed by Goetz Schrader, owner of Plaubel, and was introduced at the 1958 Photokina trade show. It has several advantages as well as problems, depending on your needs. One big claim to fame is its weight: only 1.5 kg (ca. 3-1/4 lbs) without shutter and lens. Except for the bellows and ground glass, it is an all-metal construction on a flat geared monorail, 250 mm long, so it is quite sturdy and compact. The original pleated bellows was leather and probably has been replaced since the last camera was sold 50 years ago, and if not, it should be. The bellows is interchangeable with a soft wide-angle bag bellows. The front standard has rise/fall and side shift movements but no lens tilt or swing; the rear standard has tilts and swings instead, plus a spirit level. Focusing is geared for both front and rear standards. The ground glass is shielded by a collapsing metal hood, but some photographers feel it is better to replace it with a focusing cloth. The lens board is 95 x 95 mm. The basic camera is augmented by various accessories, including two roll film backs ( 6x6 cm and 6x9 cm, with and without counters), a 35 mm back, a 6.5x9 cm plate holder with sheet film adapter, a spring-loaded 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" ground glass back for U.S. double film holders, etc. Instead of a metal carrying case, Plaubel offered the choice of a canvas case or a leather "hold-all" for the camera, lenses, several film holders, or what-have-you, which could be hung over a shoulder. The monorail has a tripod socket in its base, Some cameras might have focusing scales which were factory-installed upon order for photographers who were comfortable hand-holding the little monorail.

The 9x12 (4" x 5") Peco Junior is quite different. Schrader introduced it at the next Photokina in 1960. Again, it was a flat geared monorail view camera, but this time the front standard had full rise/fall, shift, tilt and swing movements, and the rear standard had tilt and swing on the optical axis. The monorail is 320 mm long (12-1/2") and has a tripod socket in its base. The camera's weight is relatively light for its size: 2.5 kg (about 5-1/2 lbs) but its main claim to fame is its compactness -- because either standard can be disconnected from the bellows and both standards can be swiveled until they are parallel with the monorail, the camera can become a flat package only 320 mm (12-1/2") long and less than 60 mm thick, fitting into a flat case.
    As with the smaller Peco Junior, the original leather bellows has probably been replaced since the last model came off the production line some 50 years ago, but the interchangeable bellows had a soft wide-angle bag bellows as well. The quick-change lens board measures 120 x 120 mm, including a recessed wide-angle board for the 75 mm and 90 mm Super Angulons. There are spirit levels on the rear standard, and accessory shoes on both standards, as well as an adjustable compendium and filter holder on the front, naturally. A variety of backs includes the usual 9 x 12 cm spring back for metric plate or sheet film holders, two US backs (spring or Graflok) for 4" x 5" holders, a Makinarail adapter for 6.5 x 9 cm holders and magazines, a Makinarail sliding back with built-in ground glass on one end and accepting all 6.5 x 9 cm holders and magazines on the other end, two 120 roll film adapters, one for eight 2-1/4" x 3-1/4 frames and the other for twelve 2-/4" x 2-1/4" frames, both with counters, and finally, a 35 mm magazine. I hope all this detail is useful and not too tedious, but these cameras were discontinued a long time ago, so there are not many sources for information. However, Plaubel's offices in Frankfurt still service them. Good luck in your search!