Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First real outting with my Chamonix 4x5

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Wink First real outting with my Chamonix 4x5

I've been practicing film loading/unloading, set up, focusing, movements, lens management etc. with my Chamonix and Super Graphic, getting familiar with things. Back on Nov. 1 photobymike told me to quit practicing and"go out and burn film man".

Well, it took a while longer than I planned, but yesterday I had my first "live" session .
    I drove my wife up to Harrisburg PA to visit a friend on Saturday. After dropping her off I headed over to a spot overlooking the center of Norfolk Southern's Enola Yard to shoot some photos with the Cham and the rollfilm back. I have some 4x5 holders loaded, but only with B&W and wanted to shoot color here.

Well, first lesson learned was don't try shooting large format for real the first time on a 33* day standing on a bluff, in the shade, with the wind blowing and without proper gloves, when using a camera you're unfamiliar with that demands a lot of concentration even when you are familiar with it.

I shot two rolls of 120 at 6x17, eight whole shots (Enola is perfect for panos) in the two hours I was there, screwed up the frame advance count at least once that I know of, am fairly sure I mismanaged dark slide removal
    one or two times and dealing with the dark cloth probably looked comical to an observer. But I enjoyed every single freezing second of it. I mean I loved it. Playing around with the camera is one thing. Knowing there was film being shot just changed the feeling of the whole experience.

I'm excited to see the results, good or bad. I know the bad will lead to good if I learn from it.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Re: First real outting with my Chamonix 4x5

Excellent! I am so enjoying using (playing with) my 4x5 even when i look comical. Holding the negatives is such a thrill.

[QUOTE=csxcnj;1087047 After dropping her off I headed over to a spot overlooking the center of Norfolk Southern's Enola Yard to shoot some photos with the Cham and the rollfilm back. I have some 4x5 holders loaded, but only with B&W and wanted to shoot color here.

Well, first lesson learned was don't try shooting large format for real the first time on a 33* day standing on a bluff, in the shade, with the wind blowing and without proper gloves, when using a camera you're unfamiliar with that demands a lot of concentration even when you are familiar with it.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, trains make the best subject for photos. I learned that long ago. My Chamonix loves them too! As for the weather, things get better the close to zero it gets.

I break parts.

We did a photo walk tonight and I brought the 5x7, literally half of the group was asking me about it and crowding around it taking pictures of it with their dSLRs
    Eastman-Kodak 5x7 kit / Meyer-Gorlitz 13.5cm / 4.5

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a Super Angulon or a Zeiss Sonnar and that's pretty much the same thing.

There is nothing quite like seeing the image upside down flipped on a ground glass. It's magical - OK, seeing darkroom prints come out is probably even more magical...

How does one access that overlook you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
    How does one access that overlook you mentioned?
    PM sent
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Congratulations. Don't be too discouraged if the first batch of film is messed up. Practice makes perfect and with a little bit you will have great results with the Chamonix. Mine is a favorite of my cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by angusparker View Post
    Congratulations. Don't be too discouraged if the first batch of film is messed up. Practice makes perfect and with a little bit you will have great results with the Chamonix. Mine is a favorite of my cameras.
    Angus, I've no doubt I'll be getting some bad results, especially when I start using 4x5 sheet film this coming weekend. I build 18 th C. Furniture using antique tools, hide glue and shellac. I had a bit of a learning period "wasting" wood (mahogany, cherry, walnut etc.) learning the techniques used in the seventeen hundreds to get proficient at it and know this is going to be the same.

Looking forward to it!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    There is nothing quite like seeing the image upside down flipped on a ground glass. It's magical - OK, seeing darkroom prints come out is probably even more magical...
    Funny thing is, when I'm looking at the GG I'm not really aware that things are upside down and backwards. It all seems normal to me.
    Bob