Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Roger William Barr

Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

Managed to do a backroom deal with an auction site dealer and scored this beauty for 850 from Japan. Arrived in 3 days in original packing with all papers and manual.. the protective plastic on the focus scale is still in perfect condition.. I think this camera is new old stock..

I have a 90mm Angulon that I am starting out with also a couple of Tessars, 135 and 150, older lenses but interesting. I am thinking of saving the money for a used Sironar-N 135 as I hear it is an excellent lens.. also am in the hunt for an Ektar 203 in a compur shutter.. all of these lenses will fit inside the Horseman..
    Any other recommendations accepted.. Is there an alternative to the Rodenstock or should I just wait till one turns up.. ??

Here he is.. I think I am going to call him Frank Adams.. FA get it.. Ansels younger brother.. Yea I have names for everything..

crappy cell phone photo..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	87966

Re: Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

Nice camera and great price. These went for over $2000 new IIRC. I'm not sure about your name for it though. Frank Adams was a well known columnist back in the early 1900s and forward who went by the initials F.P.A. and wrote a famous column called "The Conning Tower." I guess there's nothing wrong with naming a camera after a long-ago newspaper columnist but I wouldn't name mine "Walter Lippman" or anything like that. : - )
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

> I am thinking of saving the money for a used Sironar-N 135 as I hear it is an excellent lens.. also am in the hunt for an Ektar 203 in a compur shutter.. all of these lenses will fit inside the Horseman..

I assume your concerns are: 1) optical quality; and 2) size that allows closing the camera with the lens still mounted.

Symmar-S and Apo-Symmar 150mm lenses will fold or close in a 4x5 Linhof if they are on recessed boards. The 135mm versions manage on flat lensboards. I don't know how the Horseman compares, but it may be similar.

The Fuji LS 210 (a Tessar design) as well as the Schneider 210mm f/9 (?) are also "foldable" in the Linhof. They are both extremely fine lenses at f/16-f/22.

Good luck. It looks like a sweet camera!

Myron

Congrats, nice camera.

Roger William Barr

Hmmm Frank Adams was a football player in the 1930's. he played for Bury St Edmunds.. Frank Adams was n English Mathematician .. The camera is not named after your Frank Adams or these guys either.. and his initials are not FPA .. so I am sticking with Frank for now..

Yep its a totally sweet deal in brand new shape.. Yes to the question about foldable... I read a ton of stuff in these forums about what will and won't fit inside this camera. One "Authoritative" poster stated that shutters needed to be 0 or 00.. Patently not true..

Seems like everyone likes the Sironar-N lenses . so thats why its my first choice.. and 135.. since I do quite a bit of street hand holding the angle of view is more handy..

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    ...I read a ton of stuff in these forums about what will and won't fit inside this camera. One "Authoritative" poster stated that shutters needed to be 0 or 00.. Patently not true...
    Which lens in a size 1 shutter have you found that fits in a closed Horseman FA? Which Horseman lensboard is it mounted on?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    ...I read a ton of stuff in these forums about what will and won't fit inside this camera. One "Authoritative" poster stated that shutters needed to be 0 or 00.. Patently not true...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Which lens in a size 1 shutter have you found that fits in a closed Horseman FA? Which Horseman lensboard is it mounted on?
    OK, since your comment was a swipe at my attempts to be helpful in this thread

and you haven't identified the lenses in question, I took out my FA and did some checking. In order to mount a Copal/Compur 1 shutter on the FA, one must use this lensboard:

Slight extension is necessary so that shutter controls won't be blocked by the camera's front standard. Although Chinese sellers offer flat 80mm-square lensboards drilled for size 1, I don't see how those boards would permit use of the shutter's controls, particularly the preview lever.

Since I'd never closed my FA with a lens mounted on the above board installed (way too large diameter front cell), I just set up the camera, removed front and rear cells from the size 1 shutter, installed the board/shutter and attempted to close the camera. No way; the base can only get within approximately 3/8-inch of closing.

I remain interested to find out which size 1 shutter you've found that can be closed inside an FA and which lensboard you've mounted it on.

Showing off new acquisition Horseman FA

Very nice and congrats. Let us see some work done with it later. Have fun with it.

Sal knows what he is talking about, there are not many lenses that you can keep on the camera and fold it up. I have an FA and don't fold it with lenses mounted. Why is that so important? It only takes about 30 seconds or so to stick a lens on the camera. No lenses that will work on this camera are large, so they don't take up a great deal of space in a bag.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

umop episdn

Wow, there are more FA owners here than I would've thought. If we're showing off, here's my modest contribution. I've added a solid metal curved bracket that threads into the tripod socket of mine. Two nice foam grips on the side for two handed use--and since the original Horseman viewfinders are impossible to find, I've added a Fotoman with a matching mask for my lens on top. Altogether it makes a wonderful handheld camera.

Can't help with any lenses that fold up in the FA. All I could say is that they'd have to be incredibly tiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails H2.jpg   H1.jpg