Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Voigtlander Petzval or Euryscop? Can someone please help me identify what i have?

Voigtlander Petzval or Euryscop? Can someone please help me identify what i have?

Hi, i was wondering if someone could help me identify my Voigtlander brass lens and if its a Petzval or other type and what the focal length might be. It measures 11 3/4 inches from front of the lens hood to rear and the lens barrel measures 5 inches across. The front element measures 4 1/8 inches across and the rear 4 1/4. The lens is marked "No. 20246 Voigtlander & Sohn, Wien, Braunschweig". Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Cheers! [ATTACH=CONFIG]8787Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4596.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	878754[/ATTACH].
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_4590.jpg  

Re: Voigtlander Petzval or Euryscop? Can someone please help me identify what i have?

There is no "magic" catalogue which gives all the various varieties of Voigtländer Studio lenses for this period, when engraving of identity was considered unimportant.
    The different lens radii are a surprise and point to a Petzval, as the Euryscop/RR models had symmetrical sets. Could be a difference in due to brass mounting.
    You need to measure the approx. focal length (infinity, remember) to the Waterhouse stop. Most Petzvals sold were sleeve type designs.
    4 1/8" front glass could be the Petzval size 6 or 7, with focal lengths 14 and 17 1/2" respectively.

These ancient lenses usually find excellent use as door stops!

Re: Voigtlander Petzval or Euryscop? Can someone please help me identify what i have?

If you are in possession of this lens, simply unscrew the back group, and see if there are two air-separated glass lenses. If so, it's a Petzval. Just looking at it, and the long hood, I'd say it's a Petzval.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

By the barrel length, it's a Petzval. If you want to double-check the formula by disassembly, the Rapid Rectilinear formula (Eurysope) has a cemented doblet front and rear, while the Petzval has a cemented doublet at the front and two air-spaced elements at the rear. Or without disassembly, look for any trace of separation at the rear, indicating the cemented rear doublet of a RR.

But it's a Petzval...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

ditto,

It's a petzval. By the length, I'd guess the 14", approx f3.16

cheers

Tim

Per the Thos. McCollin catalogue of 1876 and by its glass measurements, this Petzval is c. 1875, and a model 6 (back focus of 11" and covers 10x12"), 7 (back focus of about 14" and covers 11x14) or 7A (back focus of about 16" and covers 14x17).

Best
    Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Based on CC's information I would vote for the 7A.

I believe the A series were the ones with plain barrels. So it will not as fast as the 6 & 7 in focussing sleeves, mentioned earlier - but who cares when you get that kind of coverage!

In retrospect, the serial number is a just a little too early for the RR/Euryskop introduction.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Welcome to the forum and great first post. I'm thinking you need to send it to us for closer inspection:-) Sorry but I could not resist. It's a Petzval so enjoy. I would vote for the 7A as well.

Great lens.
    Hoping to see the pix it takes asap.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

The owner checked the back focus and it was 14" making it a lucky Number 7 model.

Dan

Antique & Classic Camera Blog
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html