Thread: Wisner repair work

Wisner repair work

I have a 4x5 Tech that I truely love. My only itch is that a Polaroid 545 won't seat (it isn't allowed to go in quite far enough). Would I be sending my camera into a black hole by asking Ron to fix this (realatively minor) fault? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wisner repair work

Your question may generate very vivid if not livid replies. I own a 4x5 Tech Field that over the years has developed occasional problems. My experience with the wisner company has been very positive. The repairs have worked, and the down time has been as stated by the reps from the company.

Wisner repair work

Hi

I would not send a pice of krapp to a company with such a bad reputation! Wy not send it to a Linhof rep.?

Wisner repair work

I will try to keep this response from being livid,, can;t count on vivid. You will get a lot more responses when folks have returned from the LF conference this weekend (ahhhhh that I had been able to go).

Experiences with Ron are not universally bad but the reports here seem to lean heavily toward bad. Chief among the bad experiences is untimely action. Promises for a week or two to get something accomplished can stretch into years. In my case it was a back for a 5x7 camera. I called Ron, he told me it was in stock and would ship within two weeks. Nearly a year later when I sold the camera I still didn't have the back. The new owner finally got it a few months later.

It sounds like you are in a position where you need to weigh the uncertainties against the cost of getting the work done elsewhere (sounds like a warrenty issue). If time and certainty are more valuable or if the cost is small, which it sounds like it would be, you may want to contact Richard Ritter at (802) 365-7807. Richard is reliable and does excellent work. He has years of experience with Wisner and similar cameras (he used to build 'em for Zone VI).

Wisner repair work

I own a 4x5 Wisner Pocket Expedition that I puchased used (only 2 or 3 months old). I had to send it to Wisner to fix a problem and add an extra tripod socket (so I could have 2 and use a long Arca-Swiss type plate). I was very apprehensive sending the camera after having read some pretty harsh comments on this board about the Wisner Company. Well, the camera was back into my hands within a week including 2 cross-country trips via USPS Priority Mail. The camera stayed in Wisner's facility for about 2 or 3 days and both repair and custom work were perfectly done. I have dealt with Wisner on a couple more instances to order replacement parts; I broke a ground glass and a spring. In both instances the parts arrived very quickly. My advice would be to first call Wisner and ask for an estimate on repair time, even ask for emergency repair, before shipping the camera. If you are told to ship it then I wouldn't worry.

Wisner repair work

I must say that I've never had problems ordering parts (lensboards). When the camera was much closer to new, I e-mailed Ron about this problem, and never got a response. I understand that he is more of a phone guy, though. Seriously, in the grand scheme of things, this is such a minor issue with me that i wonder about stirring it up at all.

wfwhitaker

Wisner repair work

I can second Georges' experience. I've sent a 4x5 Pocket Expedition to Wisner for re-fitting the front standard and had it back within two-weeks' time. The service was excellent, especially considering that I'd bought the camera used.

For your specific problem, I would definitely suggest calling first. The fix may be simpler than you fear. But if it's required that you send it in, I would encourage you to do so based on my own experience.

Best,
    Will