Thread: film type for submital art

film type for submital art

please clarify what type of film (35mm) one should use in re-photographing finis hed prints (color as well as b & w) as is often asked when submitting juried art work. i understand 35mm e6 type film is recommended--for bl&w??? is it recomme nded to use Polaroid Polapan ?? thank you.

For color transparancies I use either Fuji Astia, or Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus. They are both ASA 100, E-6 process films. For B&W..you can use the same film. If your lighting is accurate, color balance wise, the results should be neutral. OR Try the new Agfa Scala which is (I believe) a direct positive B&W film..requiring Agfa processing. I have used the Polaroid Polapan with good results...I'm just not sure about the long-trem stability of the transparancies. There is a direct positive reversal chemistry called dr5 being marketed by dr wood at drwood@drwood.com which is supposed to be very good, as well. I beleive this requires the ability to process your own film, though.

When photographing artwork for museums and artists, be they paintings, drawings, photographs etc., I use Fuji 64-T. That's a tungsten blanced film that runs in E-6 chemistry. It's pretty standard in the arts and won't last as well as the former Kodachrome Type A, but will surely outlive any show jury!

Whichever type of film (Daylight or Tungsten) you use..make sure that your lights are correctly balanced; and that you can filter to correct for any slight variances. I suggest using a color meter to double check..especially with tungsten lights..as the color temp of the lights will change as the lamps age. I double check my strobes continually, and especially rental HMI's. Also use a good UV absorbing filter on the camera..2-B or even 2-C..especially with tungsten film..as it is especially sensitive to UV light