Thread: ULF discussion and websites?

ULF discussion and websites?

Does anybody care to share their favorite ultra-large-format websites? Is there another good discussion forum for ULF (other than this wonderful one!)?

With my recent move to digital SLRs, I am looking for an extreme counterpoint - nothing like a 7x17 to balance that dinky DSLR! I'd be especially interested in how to do on a budget - i.e. restoring Koronas instead of plunking down $10K for an Ebony!

Frank my experience has been that the ULF community is a rather informal community that is very supportive of each other. After hanging around for awhile you pick up the names that use the big cameras and when things come up those are discussed and dealt with.

To answer your question about budget. I bought a 12X20 Korona that had been modified to 36 inch bellows extension and installation of another back (gray so I think Burke and James). I ended up stripping the finish off the camera and refinishing it. I bought a couple of holders (used Koronas) and I think that at this point that the camera and holders have set me back about 1700. The 450 Nikkor M cost $695 at Midwest Photo. I bought a vacuum frame and pump for about $400. So that should give you an idea on budget. The only other things would be trays, chemistry, paper and paper exposure unit. That could be as simple as sunlight if you are doing Pt-pd. In my case I use a 300 watt reflector flood lamp for Azo.

Hope that this answers your questions. Email me if other questions arise. Good luck.

Frank,

As Don pointed out there are ULF shooters here on this board and we spaek up when a ULF topic comes up. You might also check the APUG site at http://www.apug.org just understand that is Not the place to talk about the digital part of your shooting.

I bought both my Korona 11x14 and 8x20 for less then $500 total. The 11x14 needed a new bellows, and the 8x20 had focusing bed problem. I fixed the 8x20 by grafting the back and bellows onto a raja 8x10 focusing bed. the new bellows for the 11x14 was in the 150 range (I don't actually remember) I know I got both cameras working for less then 800 total costs. Now this was in the early 90's ULF prices have gone up some since then. But I've seen some good prices for some basket case cameras in the last couple of years. Just take your time, they do still turn up.

I think I paid about the same as Don for the Nikon 450 I bought from Lens and Repo in NY, again that was a few years ago. I don't use a vacume frame, I still use the glass sandwich to print my negatives.

LOL that people get upset at mixing digital and traditional. But save my flames for other, less classy forums