Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upon the number of posts...

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Upon the number of posts...

There's a little counter by each member's name for the number of posts made. Instead of how many messages posted, how about how many images posted? Since for some reason some people equate number of posts with authority, how about making the count about images? Then there would be a greater incentive to post more LF photographs.

Or perhaps the number of images posted could be added.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Re: Upon the number of posts...

A new counter for number of images could be added below the current counter for number of posts, but I foresee several credibility issues with such a counter.

Speaking at first in a philosophical sense, I don't think that there is a clear correlation between a forum member's number of images uploaded and that member's level of authoritative knowledge about large format photography. Plenty of people participate on this forum without feeling the need to upload any of their photographs. Does that mean they should be thought of as less knowledgeable?

Another aspect is technical: How would this new counter distinguish between visually identical copies of the same image uploaded more than once? Let's say that the same image was uplaoded in two different resolutions, or that one image file is the full photograph and a second image file is a small section of the same photograph magnified greatly to illustrate a technical detail. What about images that are not scans of a member's original photographs but digital pictures of cameras / lenses taken with a cellphone, or scans of photographic literature, or images obtained by a google image search?

Also, I think that the main purpose of this forum is to share knowledge using the written word. An image sharing website needs to be structured differently. Just compare the differences in usability between the image sharing threads of this forum with the image sharing groups on flickr. It's a totally different means of navigating through image content.

I do remember a poster that broke the short distance image posting record entirely with images either off topic or appropriated elsewhere, as he later turned out to have no large format equipment or experience. On the other hand, quite a few professionals among the regular participants don't post any images for various issues (image theft fear, contract issues or because many camera sales- and repairmen are not actively photographing).

Overall the image post count seems to be of even less value as a credential than post count and membership age - which don't seem to keep some long term participants from bickering either.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Upon the number of posts...

For credentials just put a like button next to images posted
    through a glass darkly...

And what about the fact that many of us copy an already posted image by another member back onto the site in our own commentary in order to reference that image for either compliment or critique? How would the site possibly differentiate the fact that this image is not one's own?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I'm not interested in number of images posted for reasons listed above. I do value images posted here. I'm also only interested in post #'s when buying an item here. More posts does not correlate to more knowledge or expertise. For example, the internet is a gross amount of information, but not all of it is true. Also, age does not directly correlate to wisdom. One could take a million photos and if they are all crap, then one is a crappy photographer. THAT said, I do HIGHLY value this forum and the knowledge shared here. I have learned ALOT from other members. I'm just being clinical.

Interesting idea, but we generally avoid making custom modifications to the software, as doing so complicates the process of installing updates from vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    I do remember a poster that broke the short distance image posting record entirely with images either off topic or appropriated elsewhere, as he later turned out to have no large format equipment or experience. On the other hand, quite a few professionals among the regular participants don't post any images for various issues (image theft fear, contract issues or because many camera sales- and repairmen are not actively photographing.
    What he said.

Rick "who makes few images, most poor, but each with serious intent" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    There's a little counter by each member's name for the number of posts made. Instead of how many messages posted, how about how many images posted? Since for some reason some people equate number of posts with authority, how about making the count about images? Then there would be a greater incentive to post more LF photographs.

Or perhaps the number of images posted could be added.
    a decent point Brian

.........gotta go with the established set up though, me thinx

amndrew

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Rick "who makes few images, AND HAS A HUGE STACK OF FUJI IN DEEP FREEZE" Denney
    Too bad there isn't a pseudo-quote feature!

--------------

I was thinking that it could be like a nag feature for someone to post more images. As far as a pro being paranoid about an image on the web being used without permission, if that image comes up on a computer screen then it can be used. That's the purpose of the "Print Screen" button. What's on the screen gets copied to the clipboard and then the user can paste that into an editor. If someone were paranoid about an image being used, then just upload a copy that had been saved at a low quality compression level. Placing an image in a Flash presentation does not prevent its exploitation. It just means that a little more effort has to be made to aquire the image.

I wouldn't consider an image counter to be some kind of cure-all, but I find that a significant part of the forum's value for me to be in the images people upload. And when I'm reading what someone posted, I have, many times, made searches to find what images that person has displayed here. Why? Because images are also information. And that becomes part of the weight of credence I give to a person. So, yeah, I pay attention when CJ Broadbent says to try one thing or another. I can look at his images, and I know that that's a person that I should trust for that information.

It's the doing that proves the saying. And here, the photographs are the doing.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans