Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folmer & Schwing 7x17 Accessories

Re: Folmer & Schwing 7x17 Accessories

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    Contacted Richard Ritter and Sandy King today. Hoping to hear a reply from either or both. I think I want to go with the modifications on the camera provided, it's not too expensive. I'll weigh that will the cost of modified holders.

I would like to see photos of the differences in the two types of holders.

I'm agreeing more and more with you that the 480 is going to have to go.
    F&S system has a groove in the holder, which drops over a ridge in the back to form the light seal, Korona system has a ridge on the holder that engages a groove in the back to form the light seal. You can have the F&S back modified to take regular Korona type holder, which have a ridge on the holder. But you have to choose between the F&S type holders, or Korona type, as you can not use both types with the same back.

To get the best fit what you should do is send the back to RR, then have holders sent to him so he can get a perfect match between holder and back.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    You can have the F&S back modified to take regular Korona type holder, which have a ridge on the holder. But you have to choose between the F&S type holders, or Korona type, as you can not use both types with the same back.

To get the best fit what you should do is send the back to RR, then have holders sent to him so he can get a perfect match between holder and back.

Sandy
    Okay, I'll wait for a response from him and get some advice from him. I'll most likely go with the Korona modification and get back with you about how many holders I'd want - assuming you still have some or make them.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    I'm keeping an eye out for the 240 Computar, but haven't seen anything. That sounds like it would be a really nice wide angle to have.
    I have one lying around somewhere, ready to go into the Copal 3s I also have lying around...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lee Smathers

Finally in business:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1760a.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	99001
    Ground cloth from cloth market - $7 for 2.5 yards + $8 for velcro on 4 sides
    Berlebach 3042 Tripod
    Goerz Dagor 12" with lens board made by a local cabinet maker

Name:	IMG_1762a.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	99002
    Richard Ritter back custom modifications for my S&S holders
    Beautiful borosilicate ground glass by Steve Hopf

Name:	IMG_1766 copy.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	99003
    All equaling one happy camper!

I've been doing preliminary tests with xray film. My S&S holders accept the film fairly well.

A shot from last week:

HR-U Developer Test #02 - PMK 1.5:3:200 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

I think I had a bad batch of x-ray film. It had bad spots all over it - can't complain too much because I was testing my lenses for coverage and the film was free because it had expired last year. Bought a new box and shot 5 holders today. I'm hoping the new film will give me better results. Hoping to upload those shots after processing them within 24 hours.

Thanks for all your help! It's good to be finally shooting with it!

Lee Smathers

Only thing that's missing is a bag or case to transport the camera on. When I carried the camera around today, I was lugging it on top of my tripod. It felt like I was carrying my own crucifix!

Lachlan 717

Great to see!! Love that the Dagor works on it. Could be a good option for another lens.

FWIW, I carry mine in a backpack (circa 100ltr from memory). Can upload photos if you'd like to see it.
    Lachlan.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Great to see!! Love that the Dagor works on it. Could be a good option for another lens.

FWIW, I carry mine in a backpack (circa 100ltr from memory). Can upload photos if you'd like to see it.
    We'll see if it actually works with the movements I used today. I know I was getting some problems with the Hexanon GRII 260mm and movements. It's a barrel lens and it only stops down to f45. It was a really bright day today and felt I could benefit from the Dagor 12" which is in a shutter. 300mm was a really nice wide for all the shots I took today and there were only a few times I thought maybe the 260mm might look better.

I would like to know which bag you are using. I've heard the Mei Travel Packs "Trekker" work nicely for this format and can a few hold holders too.

Lachlan 717

Front or rear movements?

I only use rear swing and tilt as it has less impact on image circle.

I'll post a couple of photos of the pack tomorrow (night here at the moment!)
    Lachlan.

Great shots of your setup! Love the home-made $15 dark cloth. Very good to know the 7x17 x-ray film fits your S&S holders without needing to be trimmed down to size. Bet you can't wait to shoot some of that Ilford soon....

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Front or rear movements?

I only use rear swing and tilt as it has less impact on image circle.

I'll post a couple of photos of the pack tomorrow (night here at the moment!)
    Was using rear and front tilt. As I'm composing under the dark cloth, I'm wondering how I ever got by without camera movements on 35mm, DSLR, and medium format. That ground glass, movements, and tripod really make me think about my images.