Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Folmer & Schwing 7x17 Accessories

Cogito, ergo sum

Re: Folmer & Schwing 7x17 Accessories

A Tenba PBH might swallow the camera. I got one, with interior height is about 26".
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    A Tenba PBH might swallow the camera. I got one, with interior height is about 26".
    Very nice! They're discontinued though, right?

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Photoevangelist, sadly I can't give you any advice, since I don't own a F&S 7x17, just wanted to congratulate to such a camera purchase! This is a format that is always in the back of my mind as a penultimate ULF format - the ultimate being 12x20.. I wish you many negatives that will make you happy.
    12x20 would indeed be great! I almost went for an oddly crafted 12x20 made in China, but got the F&S 7x17 for about the same price and the F&S included a lens. I think I got a much better deal. My end product will be prints on gallery walls for all my work. For exhibitions 7x17 image seems a bit small. 12x20 seems like a better image area with a nice white frame on 20x24 photo paper. What I can do with the 7x17 is scan it and make huge prints with our printer at the university.

Lachlan 717

I have a large hiking backpack (100 litre +) for mine.

This holds the camera, 4 holders, 3 lenses, extension rail, BTZS dark cloth, and filter/meter bag.

I've done 10km hikes with this pack. Make sure that you get a decent one. These format's are heavy!!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I have a large hiking backpack (100 litre +) for mine.

This holds the camera, 4 holders, 3 lenses, extension rail, BTZS dark cloth, and filter/meter bag.

I've done 10km hikes with this pack. Make sure that you get a decent one. These format's are heavy!!
    I think mine might be 65 liters. I just got it in May of last year. Probably too small, but I'll check. I saw a video of a French photographer using a traveler's suit case for his 12x20. It seemed like a good idea too.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    That loupe will be fine. It might be a little too strong/powerful if anything (depending on the GG replacement's quality).

That IS a huge lens. I'd recommend checking its weight on the end of camera before I committed to keeping it. I have a Nikkor 450mm for my 7x17, along with a 355mm G Claron and 240mm Computar. As for the 12" Dagor, I seem to recall that it might cover when really stopped down. Perhaps search for that? 12"/305mm is a semi wide on 7x17.

Any dark cloth is suitable, as long as it darkens the image enough, and allows you to get far enough away from the GG to see the whole image. As a suggestion, I'd consider getting a piece that is about twice your arm length. This will allow you to drape it over the front of the rear standard, as well as over the back of your head.

I use both Jobo 2800 tanks (I have 2), as well as an Expert 3063 tank on a CPP-2 processor. I just use Tetenal Ultrafin developer. Cheap, simple to use and, being one-shot, repeatable. The D-76 should be fine, as is Xtol. Freestyle still has some 7x17 in 100asa in stock if you need some; however, I like HP5+ as it gives 2 extra stops' speed. Important when you're shooting at f64!!

Feel free to send me a private message if you want to ask any other questions!
    Thanks for your advice! I was using my phone to access the forum on the weekend and wanted to reply but it's much easier to type that reply on a phone. I keep eyeballing that 7x17. I do like Efke, but it scratches too easy. After I replace glass, wait for modifications, etc. It'll probably be time to order from Ilford's 2013 ULF order or almost. I have one box of HP5+ that should do me. Though I've used Efke films in 4x5 and medium format, I don't feel ready enough to be messing with Efke in 7x17. I'm keeping an eye out for the 240 Computar, but haven't seen anything. That sounds like it would be a really nice wide angle to have.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    Hey Photoevangelist, You may want to wait on the camera to see if the back has been modified to accept the newer ANIS holders. If not then it probably has the original back that takes the F&S property holders which are different the the former. this way you don't buy holders you can't use.

I have two very nice F&S 7x17 's (don't ask) that both have not been modified and I opted to leave the cameras as original and I had Sandy (S&S) manufacture a few holders to match the original F&S specs.

So if your camera has not been modified you'll have to make this decision if you want add more holders. you have a few choices. One is to have Richard Ritter modify your camera back to accept the ANSI holders. You'll have to send the camera out for this.

The next route is look for original F&S 7x17 holders which come up for sell but not very often, though I have found two nice 7x17 F&S holders to date.

If you opt for the route I took then you can simply send the original holder to S&S or ABS or Lotus and maybe Chamonix and they can manufacture the holders to match the F&S holder. As I recall the price for each holder was the same as Sandy's list prices. So no extra charge for the custom work.

I have NO trouble with my S&S holders leaking light. Period.

I can try and post photos of the S&S holders as well as the original F&S if this helps explain this better then my text does.

BTW My 12" Dagor covers 7x17 at about f32-45 and has a tiny bit of room left over for movements like a bit of tilt and swing but not much so go easy.

BTW2 I agree that while the 480 Sironar is impressive in size it's certainly a bit heavy to hang on the F&S. I bet you could easily sell this and pick up a Nikkor M450 which is a stellar lens on this camera. If you do it right you should have a few dollars left over towards your new holders. Pretty sure the 480 may get a bit more then the Nikkor can be had for.
    Contacted Richard Ritter and Sandy King today. Hoping to hear a reply from either or both. I think I want to go with the modifications on the camera provided, it's not too expensive. I'll weigh that will the cost of modified holders.

I would like to see photos of the differences in the two types of holders.

I'm agreeing more and more with you that the 480 is going to have to go.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    For carrying my Korona 7X17 camera, I use a Pelican 1600 case.
    For carrying 3 filmholders, I have a customized padded case from AWB.
    I might get one of those customized padded cases or find an alternative. Though, I could probably have someone customize something that would work out of velvet or something at the cloth market near here.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    Contacted Richard Ritter and Sandy King today. Hoping to hear a reply from either or both. I think I want to go with the modifications on the camera provided, it's not too expensive. I'll weigh that will the cost of modified holders.

I would like to see photos of the differences in the two types of holders.

I'm agreeing more and more with you that the 480 is going to have to go.
    You can have the F&S back modified to take regular Korona type holder, which have a ridge on the holder. But you have to choose between the F&S type holders, or Korona type, as you can not use both types with the same back.

To get the best fit what you should do is send the back to RR, then have holders sent to him so he can get a perfect match between holder and back.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Lee Smathers

@ Jim Noel

Very helpful advice!

I'm assuming the Reis head you recommend is the A200 vs the A250?
    Does anyone not recommend Berlebach 3034 for the heavier banquet cameras? The Berlebachs are cheaper and lighter and seem to support similar weights.

I'm thinking 2-3 Holders should be good. With 4x5 I'm doing 4-5 holders a day. If I need more, I can use my changing bag. With 7x17 I'd have to get a tent. Tents are less than or equal to the holders price. The tents would allow me to shoot until I run out of film. 2-3 holders should cover a day, if not I'd have a tent.

Gound cloth at 5x8 feet. Ok. I'll look into that. I might try to get a seamstress to fabricate something similar to the BTZS cloths.