Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

Lee Smathers

Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

How often do the 7x11 format cameras come around? That would be an interesting format to work with.

Lee Smathers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_9664.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	87761

Yanke ground glass from Rudy (ecbuyonline2008 on the bay) and replacement GG clips from Barry (attrevita on the bay) both came in the mail today to make this assembly possible. I'm not endorsed by them, I just really appreciate their kind and helpful customer service.

On the wood they used, the upper parts are mahogany. The rails are a harder wood, I've read cherry, and always believed it from their appearance. But most cameras, including graflex under the black leather, are mahogany. The D in 2D just stood for the godawful dark stain they started using, during the art deco period when black and dark looked "modern." Hence, all the cameras started becoming black instead of beautiful, glowing wood, and all the brass lenses started being lacquered black.

On brass stripping, be very careful soaking them in acids like vinegar. While that will strip them, it also leaches out the copper, and redeposits it on the surface. Basically, you copper plate your brass, turning it a shade of red!

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    On the wood they used, the upper parts are mahogany. The rails are a harder wood, I've read cherry, and always believed it from their appearance. But most cameras, including graflex under the black leather, are mahogany. The D in 2D just stood for the godawful dark stain they started using, during the art deco period when black and dark looked "modern." Hence, all the cameras started becoming black instead of beautiful, glowing wood, and all the brass lenses started being lacquered black.

On brass stripping, be very careful soaking them in acids like vinegar. While that will strip them, it also leaches out the copper, and redeposits it on the surface. Basically, you copper plate your brass, turning it a shade of red!
    Thanks for your additional info, Garrett.

How do you think my camera is coming along? I got the red color you mentioned, but it came out in the 3rd step soaking in in ketchup for 30-40 min. Only putting it in ketchup wasn't enough to remove the grime and tarnish.

I found some paint and varnish remover yesterday. (Korea doesn't have a store like Home Depot or Lowes where you can find everything to build a house, etc.). Before I re-piece this I've been thinking about stripping the paint and just going with the original wood color. My 5x7 film still has about a week to arrive so I have some time to spare before I can film test this camera. 4x5 is the only large format that is sold in Korea. You can get 8x10, but its all expired stock from 2009ish and cost more than ordering fresh importing from abroad.

Lee Smathers

The camera is now 98% complete. Just missing the handle strap (and need to adjust one of my made lens boards to accept a larger flange for my Dagor 12"). Hoping to do the first film test tomorrow! If I had to paint it again, I'd choose a dark blue with red bellows. I didn't know what I was doing was painting it. I thought I was staining the wood. This was my first attempt with wood. But I'd much rather have the natural color of the wood with black bellows I think. This doo-doo brown is not bad with the red bellows. As long as it's light tight, I'll be happy! I am very proud of it!

Eastman Kodak 2-D 5x7 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

Beautiful !

Looks really nice, if you don't like the stain..I suspect you used a high solids stain rather than a tinted transparent stain.

Mike

Great looking camera!!

It looks brand new, good job.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Lee, beautiful job. Congratulations on the refinishing. How do you like the bellows? Quality, smell, weight price? I'm building my 8x10 and I'm going to need to order my bellows soon and I'm wondering about ecobuy. I've used Custom Bellows in England and Western Bellows here in California. Just curious about what your thoughts are.