Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

Lee Smathers

Re: Kodak Eastman 2-D 5x7 Restoration Project

Quote Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
    Hey I thought 2D's were always made by cherry . I owned one, and my friends have 3. All are 8x10 with cherry. I never seen a 2D with mahogany .
    I purchased your 12" Dagor to make portraits on this camera.

Cogito, ergo sum

It will be great for your 5x7 .
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Lee Smathers

Ken Lee, I just realized I've been to your website numerous times lately for tech guidance.

Lee Smathers

Cleaning my brass was difficult. I read a blog about soaking it in Pure Ammonia for 1 hour. I soaked mine for 4 hours and still didn't come off easily. After that, I boiled the brass in vinegar (all I could find here was brown rice vinegar) for about 5 min. Both of those processes loosened some of the grime. I then followed that with letting each piece sit in ketchup for 30-45 min. I used a brass metal brush to scrub when I needed to get difficult spots and a car wash sponge elsewhere. I then scrubbed the pieces down with a heavy baking soda mixed with water paste. Finally, I used another paste made with Bar Keeper's Friend to polish it. Final step was to wash in a water bath and then dry.

1. 4 hour Pure Ammonia bath (I've never been able to find pure ammonia in Korea, but luckily found one at an American import store on 40% clearance sale)
    2. 5 min. bath in boiling vinegar
    3. Soaked in ketchup for 30-45 min.
    4. Scrubbed with baking soda paste (water + baking soda ~1:1)
    5. Polished with Bar Keeper's Friend Paste (water + Bar Keeper's Friend ~1:10) - international buyers can find this on the auction site for $3-4 + $10 shipping (took about 2 weeks to arrive)
    6. Water Bath, then dry

I have no idea if this is kosher or not for the brass. I read about how to use various household items to clean and polish brass. I found after a few attempts that this method worked for me.

Could it be that the Model 2 was cherry, while the 2D was mahagony? (The "D" meaning dark finish.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Lee Smathers

My camera says 2-D and could very well be mahagony (like it's original finish). When sanded down, it's a cherry sort of color to it. I assumed mahagony was darker. I don't know a lot about woods. It was my first project dealing with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    My camera says 2-D and could very well be mahagony (like it's original finish). When sanded down, it's a cherry sort of color to it. I assumed mahagony was darker. I don't know a lot about woods. It was my first project dealing with wood.
    Unfinished mahogany and cherry have a similar color. Mahogany has a more open grain and is a little denser and heavier than cherry. It is also a little harder.

Sounds like your project is coming along. The brass must have been a lot of work, would be cools to see some pictures, must look very nice. On my WP 2D I cleaned a few areas of the brass where it was heavily discolored but just enough to match the patina of the rest. That was quite a bit of work, can't imagine doing all of it.

Roger

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Unfinished mahogany and cherry have a similar color. Mahogany has a more open grain and is a little denser and heavier than cherry. It is also a little harder.

Sounds like your project is coming along. The brass must have been a lot of work, would be cools to see some pictures, must look very nice. On my WP 2D I cleaned a few areas of the brass where it was heavily discolored but just enough to match the patina of the rest. That was quite a bit of work, can't imagine doing all of it.

Roger
    I'll get more pictures up next week. Brass is finished, but I individually wrapped and labeled all the piece groups with their matching screws. Even the piece groups had different size screws! I knew if I did them all together it would be difficult for me to regroup them. Between doing this in our apartment with a 3 year old and working in it in my office, I've been really lucky to not have any pieces missing. A few screws fell into the sink and almost lost them, but I managed to grab them before they fell down the drain into oblivion.

Thank you very much for you description of the different woods.

As shown in the above photo, Kodak 2D cameras have 2 rail sections: one in front which is attached to the base and folds up - and another in the rear which detaches. There is a nice old catalog illustration here.

If we're using only short lenses, we don't need to attach the rear rail section. That feature can make the camera more compact and portable. A lens can be kept on the camera: just fold the front up for transport. It's a very clever design: a folding rail camera.

Lee Smathers

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

As shown in the above photo, Kodak 2D cameras have 2 rail sections: one in front which is attached to the base and folds up - and another in the rear which detaches. There is a nice old catalog illustration here.

If we're using only short lenses, we don't need to attach the rear rail section. That feature can make the camera more compact and portable. A lens can be kept on the camera: just fold the front up for transport. It's a very clever design: a folding rail camera.

The rear rail attachment was missing in mine. I am searching for one, even though I probably won't be able to find one soon.