Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are We Here ?

Why Are We Here ?

*I apologize for causing such a ruckus over my previous post, “I’m pretty much done here.” That was an emotional response to my frustration over the petty bickering, fighting and… that seems to burst forth over what appears to be much of nothing.*

To help each other and share what we have to offer.

Those who venture into the world of LF image making does not do so causally, this venture most always involves a huge investment in time, resources and passion for creating images. Those who stay in the world of LF for any significant amount of time and produce images consistently are likely those where this means of image making has become part of who they are and possibly a significant part of their life.

The LF community as a whole tends to be a small community for these reasons and more which gives more reasons to find commonality among those who practice this craft rather than allow dis-agreements to divide.

If those who participate on LFF simply practice compassion, empathy and caring about others passion for this shared interest, the petty bickering and dis-agreement over opinions may not burst into ugly fights over much of nothing.

There are other benefits to inner peace beyond making LFF into a better place for all who come here. Inner peace will improve the expressiveness and content of the images one creates. Turning down the noise within oneself brings greater sensitivity to the subjects they photography which allows their subject’s voice to be heard. Sensitivity, compassion and passion for their subjects are core to what it means to be an artist.

Many photographers strive to improve their work by obtaining the latest technological widget or touted magical optic, yet few look within themselves to see how they can improve themselves as a means to improve their artistic work.

The images or work created is very much a reflection of the individual who created it, the image capturing device and process that results in the finished image is just a means or tool to express who the artist really might be.

Our actions say much about who we are and the kind of images we might create.

Bernice

Why Are We Here ?

What about letting your imagery do the talking? Isn't that the bottom line? Why the need to find verbal agreement when we have such an expressive medium to speak through?
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Re: Why Are We Here ?

The images created contains not only the subject, it also contains many elements of who created it.

Just as words in a dictionary or notes on the musical scale, how they are arranged, organized from a state of entropy are an extension of the individual. Finished works speak for themselves, but it also says much about who created it.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    What about letting your imagery do the talking? Isn't that the bottom line? Why the need to find verbal agreement when we have such an expressive medium to speak through?

Michael Alpert

Berenice,

To answer your question, I found the forum to be very helpful when I first started posting here around 2000 (my earlier posts seem to have disappeared when the forum left Photonet); and, sometimes, I still read a post written with solid intelligence. Years ago, the forum time included members who, from long experience, were truly experts. A few of those people remain involved here. Still, these days, I am not so sure about the value of the forum for myself, though others seem to find it helpful. I still think the forum is basically worthwhile, but I find that snide remarks often tail me when I offer an opinion or offer information. Also, I find myself reading information that obviously has been learned by reading the same information on previous threads. Some members, who have posted thousands of times in just a few years, seem to only know what they have read and have limited experience with the equipment or situations that they comment on. For these reasons, I sometimes write posts that I do not actually send, or, rarely, I withdraw posts because I can foresee the silly reactions that will follow.

In conclusion, I don't exactly know anymore why I am here. Though, for me, it is a situation of diminishing returns, I still return once in a while. I leaned much from the forum when I was beginning to use large-format cameras, and I am grateful to former and present members for what I have learned. I hope I have also contributed helpful insights for other forum members. It's a community of strangers (like almost all of the Internet), so every time you post anything, you take your chances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Those who venture into the world of LF image making does not do so causally, this venture most always involves a huge investment in time, resources and passion for creating images. Those who stay in the world of LF for any significant amount of time and produce images consistently are likely those where this means of image making has become part of who they are and possibly a significant part of their life.
    I don't think this cause and effect is unique to just large format, this applies to any format or any creative identity. The more time you have in your day to put into a creative pursuit, the more the consistency shows and when paired with the talent you were born with or not born with, besides the feeling of time well spent, there is the result of your creative effort.

The problem I see with large format over any other format in terms of having a voice that reaches out to the next generation is that according to the young people I talk to who take a peek at a forum like this one is that unlike other formats, there seems to be this "Earn the respect of your elders" stuffiness about it all. So as much as the valuable information is a draw to come here, the aging population and problems that are unique to this site only in terms of attitude are a serious challenge to this site's future viability.

I have been an aqaintence of the owner for over 10 years, I wrote him about this topic last night. I hope he gives it some attention because it would be great to see some overall freshness in this place and less reasons to bicker. There is no reason the use of large format will not continue to spawn new creativity in tomorrow's photographers, it is that dynamic of a medium. But it is either going to take a new openness of dialogue on this site.....or a new site to do this. This place is currently burying it self alive in it's old ways and will continue to do so until some major changes happen.

Photo.net is going through this in kind of a sad way. A new user comes and posts a question, makes a statement, shares an article, etc. and is quickly hit by a barrage of the "Usual Suspects", it gets ugly and they never return.

My reason for being here is that I am interested in 'The Large Format Experience' and those who practise it. I have learned a lot of different things from this forum, for example today I discovered there is such a thing as 'Bear Spray' not something I would find in this country or would have known existed outside of this forum

What I do try to do though is not get dragged into emotive subjects that have nothing to do with photography and whilst I can recognise that there are some members who seem to take some delight in feuding, I am happy to take good advice wherever it may come from whilst remaining aloof from taking sides.

Opinions are like belly buttons and assholes... we all have em ....... but this forum is about Large Format photography ... at least thats what i gathered from the name.... It is so easy to get side tracked in the BS and minutia of life, religion, or politics. It really diminishes the conversation on photography when brought into the conversation.

Do you know why this is a problem???
    Well because the typical photographer is very attuned to his or her world. They see things that most normal people do not. For instance i bet the Mathew Brady photographers were very much against war after what they experienced. Photographers tend to see the world in a different perspective than a person without a camera. It is akin to a computer programer (i was for 18 years) . I actually had to re-adjust to having human relationships after starring into CRT for years. I called it the "computer nerd" complex. Surely you have met a computer nerd? Not to good at conversations, always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. Well we as photographers get into our own world .... and sometimes have problems with real relationships .... Thats why the personalities and passions tend to bubble over online.

My humble opinion

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I thouight you left. Welcome back!

To learn and also to share a wonderful hobby. In the end its all about sharing.

David,
    +1.
    "...with the grandeur of true simplicity", Patrick White, "The Tree of Man".