Thread: SOCAL LF/MF Meetup

SOCAL LF/MF Meetup

Good day to all, I was wondering if there would be an interest in getting a LF/MF meet and greet together somewhere in SOCAL? Personally I had a great time meeting folks from last year's Per outting in Oceano and would enjoy seeing many of those folks again in another location if possible. I am not the best planner in the world but I'd like to see something small, say over a couple days (even camping out) say this spring in the deserts or the mountains around SOCAL. Thanks for listening and consideration.

God Bless,
    David

Re: SOCAL LF/MF Meetup

David,

I am moving to SoCal in March and am interested in meeting other LFers as well. I believe that there is a group on MeetUp that meets at Freestyle or Samys(?). I plan on getting involved as soon as I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    David,

I am moving to SoCal in March and am interested in meeting other LFers as well. I believe that there is a group on MeetUp that meets at Freestyle or Samys(?). I plan on getting involved as soon as I'm there.
    Good luck with you move out this way. Where are you moving to? It would be cool to have a get together say around the middle of April. Personally, I plan to take a drive out to Death Valley about the beginning to middle of March. My hope is that the desert will have some wildflower blooms this year after some promising wet weather this winter.

God Bless,
    David

I'll be just outside of LA. Definitely open to meeting new people. Feel free to email me at scottphotoco at gmail.com.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by seabee1999 View Post
    Good luck with you move out this way. Where are you moving to? It would be cool to have a get together say around the middle of April. Personally, I plan to take a drive out to Death Valley about the beginning to middle of March. My hope is that the desert will have some wildflower blooms this year after some promising wet weather this winter.

God Bless,
    David

Just to throw it out there, how about an outing in Joshua Tree NP say begining of April? I know personally, to save on some cost I would camp out for a few days. Does anyone who lives out in that area know what the weather will be like then; whether windy, dry, hot, cool? I am just trying to drum up interest here.
    God Bless,
    David

Les

I was near there back in 2008...the last weekend of April and couple of days into May....and the temps were in the low 80's. Yet, the temp can jump into low 90's as well. You can expect around 50-55 at night. It's a desert so it's relatively dry (take water). Winds can come and go, but it's doubtful that you get anything like Santa Ana Winds. In the beginning of April it shall be cooler. But, the guys that live closer will likely give much more fine-tuned forecast.

Les

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Let me talk to some people here in So Cal. Matt Blais and I were thinking that we need to go to Joshua Tree to honor our friend and mentor Per Volquartz by camping at Jumbo Rocks for a weekend.Let me see and I'll post something after I talk to a few people. Great place to meet and share ideas, show prints and make new friends. This is how I met most of my friends today was through Per at JT.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    I was near there back in 2008...the last weekend of April and couple of days into May....and the temps were in the low 80's. Yet, the temp can jump into low 90's as well. You can expect around 50-55 at night. It's a desert so it's relatively dry (take water). Winds can come and go, but it's doubtful that you get anything like Santa Ana Winds. In the beginning of April it shall be cooler. But, the guys that live closer will likely give much more fine-tuned forecast.

Les
    Thank you for the insights Les. They are extremely helpful. My hope is that we can go when the weather is still cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Let me talk to some people here in So Cal. Matt Blais and I were thinking that we need to go to Joshua Tree to honor our friend and mentor Per Volquartz by camping at Jumbo Rocks for a weekend.Let me see and I'll post something after I talk to a few people. Great place to meet and share ideas, show prints and make new friends. This is how I met most of my friends today was through Per at JT.
    Thank you Jim. I hope we can make something small happen. As I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed meet folks at Oceano. My hope is that we can do it again. BTW, I still have to get with you some time soon to see your carbon printing methods in person. I also would like to ask a personal request to but I'll ask that when we can meet again.

God Bless,
    David