Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm pretty much done here...

Re: I'm pretty much done here...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Ventured on to this forum back in 2008 and returned for a short time in 2012, 2013.. only to discover this forum which was once a good place to share now has become a place of established individuals with an agenda who bicker and fight for the sake of ?

My initial intent to return was with the idea of helping others and sharing the image making process, instead, LFF parts of LFF has become semi hostile for those who many see things differently.

Bernice
    Well said...I agree with you. There are a handful of donkey orifices on this site who do little other than argue and bicker. It makes for a very unpleasant experience.

I suggest that you try adding the five or so habitual offenders to your ignore list and have the discipline to not ever look at their remarks. I've done this and the forum is oh so much more enjoyable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    And what he said.

And I think we need to take into consideration the fact that many, if not most, are here because we are passionate about our art, our photography and/or our equipment/working processes. And those passions can surface and grate on other passionate people.

And it is incredibly easy to mis-read someone's post...let alone know what their intentions are.
    Yes it is, which was more or less my point about the word play. It was a quip, maybe thoughtless in this kind of venue but the kind of thing people do all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I think APUG has a ban on I'm leaving threads, not a bad idea. Things sometimes just get a little out of control on these types of threads. If you're really leaving I doubt anyone is going to change your mind.

Mike
    I think such a ban is a good idea. Some (and I am not saying that this one is, I really don't know the purpose) seem to be attempts to be talked out of it. Even for posters I really enjoy reading I quit playing that game long ago. Others, if they aren't that, seem to have no real point at all.

Do. Or do not. There is no try. Similarly, stay, or go, as one wills. Freely come, freely go. Life's too short to engage in a no-profit, no-real-art produced place like a web forum if you don't enjoy it or get some benefit out of it. Do as you will and prefer. There are some posters here I'd miss if they stopped contributing, but I'd still just shrug and figure they had better things to do and wish them well.

The usual suspects have risen to the bait and I'm sure this thread will further degenerate into what Bernice has pointed out.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

I'm pretty much done here...

Might as well write off the whole Internet then. This place is indeed one of the better ones IMO and as mentioned above only a small minority who act as you describe.

And if everyone agreed, if there was no dissension or opposing views...

What a boring world this would be.

You learn nothing from people who agree with you. You already know what they know.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Bernice, just make liberal use of the Ignore function. I know I have. I was in your shoes a while back but I stayed. The banning of people is a good step, but I haven't seen too many people who I thought would be banned get banned.

Back to the ignore function- now if we could get a fully implemented ignore function in which the offending people's posts did not even show up, instead of showing up with the message that the person is on the ignore list. It is like not wanting to hear what they are saying but still being annoyed that they are talking.

Anyone want to second that?

That would be wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    Bernice, just make liberal use of the Ignore function. I know I have. I was in your shoes a while back but I stayed. The banning of people is a good step, but I haven't seen too many people who I thought would be banned get banned.

Back to the ignore function- now if we could get a fully implemented ignore function in which the offending people's posts did not even show up, instead of showing up with the message that the person is on the ignore list. It is like not wanting to hear what they are saying but still being annoyed that they are talking.

That would be wonderful.
    I second it.

Anyone want to second that? That would be wonderful.
    That would severely confuse a lot of threads, since much of the discussion
    includes quotes from the presumably ignored members.

Seeing only a portion of an unwanted post (in a quote) is even worse than seeing the entire post, nicht wahr?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

That would be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    That would severely confuse a lot of threads, since much of the discussion
    includes quotes from the presumably ignored members.

Seeing only a portion of an unwanted post (in a quote) is even worse than seeing the entire post, nicht wahr?

- Leigh
    There was a way to do this, the FfVb plugin for Firefox. Unfortunately when Mozilla went to version 4.x and up they broke the way it worked and the developer stopped developing it. I stayed with prior versions for well over a year for this reason but finally threw in the towel, at least mostly. I do still have an old version installed (it's a PITA to get two versions of Firefox workably installed on the same machine but it can be done) but you can't actually RUN both versions at once, which means I haven't bothered. I'd like to be able to fire up the old one for forums and the new one for everything else but since I can't do that I just use the new one.

FfVb was great. What Leigh mentions wasn't much of a factor because it not only removed their posts completely it removed material other people quoted from them. They were GONE. Occasionally it looked odd or like someone was talking to themselves but it made some boards, mostly a couple of others I'm on, much nicer places. With the ignore function built into vBulletin I find it all but useless. It leaves a link to click to reveal the post and it's just like the train wreck scenario - you can't resist looking even though you are pretty sure that, if you do, you'll regret it. So you do and, sure enough, you regret it.

Even more lamentable in my view is that this particular version of vBulletin, or at least the implementation here, does not have the "ignore thread" function that I have on other boards.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

I'm pretty much done here...

[QUOTE=Roger Cole;976910]Yes it is, which was more or less my point about the word play. It was a quip, maybe thoughtless in this kind of venue but the kind of thing people do all the time.

It's called humor. It's a public forum and every one, being an imperfect human often makes mistakes and or is vulnerable at one point or another

Sounds like to need to put some concrete in your milkshake and toughen the @&$$ up!

For a little comedy relief please visit:

http://http://boardofwisdom.com/togo...listname=humor
    through a glass darkly...