Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Re: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Quote Originally Posted by JChrome View Post
    I know what side the number will be on, but I still don't want to use it. I'd prefer it gone so I can have more room on the negative. I do so much work to setup, get everything just right... I deserve an extra 3-4mm of space on my negative!

The thing I worry about is re-selling them if I take out the disk.
    Most people don't like the numbers, but I like them personally. I wouldn't worry about resale, as long as they are light tight you're fine.

You can keep the disk and re-install it.

I never had any "instruction" manual but it's pretty obvious with older things how to disassemble them, I just unscrewed everything and then you can just place (or remove) the wheel, it's only held in by two pins, and if you don't RIP them out, and instead disassemble and remove them, they are easily re-inserted. If you grab and rip it out, then yea you can't re-insert it because you'll have broken the pins.

Good luck!

Jim Sidinger

Re: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Quote Originally Posted by algarzai View Post
    i have 4 holders. i go out to shoot for a few days and i want to know which shot is this say holder 1 frame 3. so that my note taking becomes easier. i haven't been doing it because it is too difficult
    I had some issues at first as well until I came up with an ID method that works for me while I work with some Fidelity holders and some Grafmatic:

As with most, I had labeled my Fidelity holders numerically (my first holder contained negatives - 1 & 2, the second - 3 & 4, etc.). When I got my 3 Grafmatic holders, decided to number them 1, 2 & 3 on the outside.

From then on, I re-labeled my Fidelity holders for note purposes F1, F2, F3, etc. (one for each sheet of film). The Grafmatic negatives in holder number 1 became G11, G12, - G16. and the Grafmatic negatives in holder number 2 were G21, G22, - G26 and so on.

It is now easy to sync up my notes with my developing method used for each negative as well as filing system. If my note says negative G35 needs N+1, I know to pull negative number 5 from Grafmatic holder number 3. Also, it is easy to tell from my notes which were in Fidelity holders and which were in Grafmatic.

This also works for the Grafmatic I have with no number wheel as the order of the negatives stays predictably constant even if you don't shoot the entire holder. I just use corner clips to ID one negative from another in the holder as I develop & file.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to think this up, but with my background in Math, subscripts seemed an obvious solution.