Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Re: Question on Grafmatic film holders

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    Surely the disk numbering is a coding system.. Why do you need to add another one ??
    i have 4 holders. i go out to shoot for a few days and i want to know which shot is this say holder 1 frame 3. so that my note taking becomes easier. i haven't been doing it because it is too difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    The septum number disc won't differentiate between different Grafmatics so that won't help with troubleshooting. The only non destructive way to code Grafmatics I can think of would be to use something to intrude upon the frame, ie- glue a small strip of exposed film/dark material of some sort that has notches or coding, somewhere (possibly near where disc is/was).
    i think that is a better idea. this way i don't play with the holders and that part of the frame is already ruined by the disk.

Roger William Barr

Do you have an i or other smart phone. Theres tons of logging apps. Take a snap on the phone and add notes. Compare images when developing is done. That's what I do.. I don't need to mark the film at all.

Question on Grafmatic film holders

Don't grafmatics have a place you can glue a piece of acetate to use as holder ID to appear at the edge of the frame? I remember reading it in the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn45 View Post
    Do you have an i or other smart phone. Theres tons of logging apps. Take a snap on the phone and add notes. Compare images when developing is done. That's what I do.. I don't need to mark the film at all.
    I used phototools on iPhone but found it too detailed. What do you use?
    I guess a photo with an audio note should be good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Don't grafmatics have a place you can glue a piece of acetate to use as holder ID to appear at the edge of the frame? I remember reading it in the manual.
    I think they do on a second look.

I've owned one but am currently selling it on

great piece of design, though, no practical or personal use

I can appreciate that problems can and will arise

a beautiful piece of kit

andrew

Yes, they have a place...

Look at the wheel edge-on... Left and right... see the two notches? The provision is already there for you to glue a thin tab left or right, which you can code or write on to identify the holder/job... I think you can come in 1/8 inch - same as the wheel - and still meet specifications for 4x5 imageable film area.

Roger William Barr

Well I use Light Meter for Iphone which auto logs into Dropbox.It auto records all my settings location etc and a photo but no notes.(perhaps in a future version). What to do what to do, ah ok I have recently come across this incredible invention.. I think they are calling it "Note pad and Paper" or something like that. If you google handwriting you will be able to learn something of this lost art. Of course there is a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it I think you will like it. Oh and by the way no batteries.

I like my Grafmatics. They are very handy for transporting lots of film ready to shoot, for portrait sessions, and for working press-camera style. They have arguably better film flatness than typical standard filmholders, and once you get used to the sequence, you don't make mistakes anymore.

Kinematics are also interesting, as they can hold 10 sheets in about the same space as a Grafmatic, but they are fiddlier and not as reliable. Still, going out with 20 sheets in two cassettes is handy.