Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 5x7 for my first LF camera?

Which 5x7 for my first LF camera?

A few weeks ago I joined this forum to ask about a 4x5 for a digital conversion. I have somewhat abandon that plan for now but, after all the research I've done, I'm still very interested in getting a LF camera. So, I'm leaning toward 5x7 for a couple reasons. It is scannable on a flatbed scanner and it makes a decent size contact print without the camera being too large. I would likely use it for landscape and still life only. I do not do portraiture and everything else I shoot requires a DSLR. I realize that I would be limited in film choices with the 5x7 but I think I can live with that. So, I'm looking at ebay and I see a lot of old field cameras. I will not hike with the camera I choose but I will need to carry it perhaps up to a half-mile to setup. I am looking to spend up to $700 ready to shoot. Right now I'm looking at a B&J, an Agfa, and a Conley. Are these worthwhile choices or should I be looking for something else?

Bob

Re: Which 5x7 for my first LF camera?

As a starting point, you might read this post on Agfa/Ansco 5X7s:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Agfa-Ansco-5x7
    At the bottom of the page are links to other Agfa/Ansco posts. Much of the information on the 8X10 version will be more or less the same for the 5X7. As a broad generalization, I'll say the Agfa/Ansco is sturdier than the B&J, Conley, or Eastman 2D (another 5X7 in this general class that should be easy to find), with more movements than some of the others. However, the A/A is probably the heaviest in the class. I just weighed my gray Ansco and it rocks the scales at over 9 1/2 pounds, without lens or board. But that includes a built-in extension track which some of the other 5X7s have as a separate piece (often missing from the camera and not easy to find. Be careful buying anything without the rear track included). Maybe someone else can post weights for a B&J, Easman 2D, or others. If you should decide on an A/A, the later gray painted Anscos used a plastic covered bellows which can stiffen with age (making the movements harder to use), and possibly crack at the corners causing light leaks. On the other hand, most of the later Anscos have the built-in front tilt feature, which I consider important. This is identified by a half-moon metal shape to one side of the lens board with a single knob to lock it. If you do a Google image search for "Ansco view camera" you can see cameras with this feature. Some of the earlier natural wood finish cameras appear to have the front tilt, and possibly better bellows materials. The lens board is a generous 5 1/4" square so mounting larger lenses is doable.There is a portrait version of the gray Ansco with no front movements which I wouldn't consider buying. Another thing I like about the Ansco is quick set up. Once it is on the tripod just drop the tailboard and spin the lock knob tight, then pull the rear standard back and remove the lens cap, as the lens can be left in place on the camera. A Deardorff, while lighter and more elegant, is much slower to set up. I know a view camera shouldn't be about speed, unless the light is changing rapidly.

Len

Of the cameras you mention, I had a 5x7 B&J and have a 5x7 2D. If you like lots of movements and front tilt, a B&J is the one. A 2D is a much sturdier camera and a sliding tripod block makes closeups much easier but it has no front tilt. I think the B&J has more usable extension. My preference is for the 2D. Dont get a monorail, it might do the job well but its heavy and difficult to use outside of the home and most importantly, very difficult to sell if you decide you dont like it. If you like LF and then later decide your camera is inadequate and you can live with a monorails impracticalities, you can always pick one up then for chicken feed. I am guessing mobile DSLR shooter and monorail wont gel very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gittime Kirkum View Post
    For a fraction of that price you could get a 5x7 monorail that's much more precise, stronger, and offers full movements. Look for a Toyo, Sinar, Cambo, or Linhof. There are also metal folders from Toyo and Rittereck (Wista) that often sell for under $700.

Buy based on condition of course.
    I've been looking at monorails for months on ebay and have yet to see a 5x7 in the U.S.. I've seen pieces of Sinar's but nothing near complete. I had considered a Sinar P 4x5 and then changing out the standards at a later date but considering how little 5x7 there seems to be, it might be a much later date.

Len, thanks for the great insight. Good stuff.

Bob

If I had the $$ I'd get a Nagaoka---a svelt little wooden field camera that takes most 4x5s to task in the size and weight department. But I'd still keep my Agfa Ansco and Speed Graphic 5x7s.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

I bought a used Arca-Swiss B 13x18 (same back as 5x7) with w/a leather bellows for about $500 a while back. [And also made myself a 6x17 adapter for a Canham 617 back for it.] Sensational camera. So they are out there. Keep looking.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by Gittime Kirkum View Post
    Yes it appears there are very few 5x7 monorails sold on eBay.
    So, if this is supposed to be sarcasm, I'd say it is poorly placed considering you were not able to produce a single link to a current auction. I'm personally not against a monorail but, I also enjoy projects so an old wooden field camera might be fine for me. The only decision I have made thus far is that I want 5x7. Other than that, I'm open to all suggestions.

Bob

Octogenarian

You might be able to find an older wooden 8x10 camera,with a 5x7 reducing back, in your price range.

They are more readily available on the used market than 5x7 cameras.

I think it is unfortunate Gittime deleted his last post. I thought he made a good case for 5X7 monorails being available, although not commonly so. Maybe a bit sarcastic, but I didn't feel he was being malicious about it. The examples he posted of actual eBay sold prices were much less expensive than I would have expected for quality 5X7 monorails.

I must admit my current love affair is with a 4X5 Sinar Norma monorail, and I have recently been watching eBay for bits and pieces to expand it to 5X7 or 8X10. Although I'm afraid when it comes to parting with the money I'll probably end up sticking with my wooden cameras. But monorails have much in their favor as far as extendable monorails for long extensions and interchangeable bag bellows for ease of using wide angle lenses. Of course they tend to be bulkier than wooden cameras, and possibly heavier, depending on which wooden camera is compared to. I'm not familiar with any of the "system" 5X7 monorails other than Sinar, but if you could find a Toyo or Cambo or similar in 5X7 size, it would be worth considering. The same with the metal "lunchbox" style folders. I suspect these are great, but have never handled one. Metal cameras of either type will be much newer than the wooden Ansco, B&J, Eastman style and will have less wear on them. Bellows may be less risky too. But there is a certain "style" to wooden cameras that is enjoyable. After I got my Sinar Norma I did considerable reading of back posts on the large format forums. I was quite surprised how many people use Sinars as field cameras. Not just the lighter weight Sinar Fs either, but the heavy Sinar P studio cameras. The point is not everyone thinks a light weight "field" camera is the only possibility for use outside the studio.

Bob, is your $700 budget for a complete outfit including a lens and film holders? Quality 210mm lenses are on eBay in the $200 range. I don't know what used 5X7 holders can be had for. I tend to think of the older wooden cameras Eastmans and Anscos as $250 cameras, but I haven't been watching actual sold prices, so I might be way low in my thinking.

Len

Bob, My first 5x7 was a B&J flatbed bought used in 1974, I still occasionally use it, but with a 4x5 reducing back. It weighs about 6.5 lbs without lens, and the extension bed about 1 lb. Bellows extension is about 15 inches, and the extension bed adds 10 inches more. The lens board is 5.25 inches, and easy to make from plywood or MDF. The B&J flatbed evolved somewhat over the years, with the later ones perhaps a little more stable. There certainly are cameras that are more beautiful and many that are more precise and versatile. However, the B&J lets the photographer take photos about as fine as any of the others.