Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Did We Come To LF?

Re: How Did We Come To LF?

My Dad taught me how to use sheet film when I was a teenager in the 70's, then I moved into 35mm photography, kind backwards to many folks.
    I'm still using the Speed Graphic that my Dad bought about 1951!
    Like most others, I have digital cameras too, and like the convenience they offer, but just love the look a nice print from a big neg, there's nothing like it in my opinion.
    Keith

My Dad souped 620 in his Yankee tank. Enlarged on a card table across the claw foot bathtub. I got to supervise the wash tray. Jump '50's to '60's bought 35 mm Nikon Ftn , then '70's my used Rollie TLR. Shot a bit of ASA25 KB14 in Germany and then some 4 x 5 with a Navy Graphlex. Now I have 'reverted' from digital to 4 x 5 Graphlex both press and view. I'm 66 and not in a hurry any longer. I no longer think shot quantity will beat contemplation and care. It's been a long time coming. I am glad I have learned that every photo is not the action peak at the ball game. I'll be retired in a few months and am now scouting the nearby Ohio river valley and area countryside for locations to discover the seasons of change in 4 x 5.

Took 40 years to evolve. Likely long but not a record number.

(Shrek)

I came to it in a roundabout way. I have never personally known any active LF photographers, never discussed it, never viewed people's prints, etc. 15 years ago I had no idea there was such a thing as LF. Then came eBay. While looking to purchase long telephoto lenses for the nature photography I was doing, I kept getting search results for LF lenses. So I started looking into it, and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Crown Graphic with a few accessories, and a couple boxes of film. It was love/hate at first sight. Fortunately I was already doing business with a small pro lab whose owner took the time to explain a few things, helped me load my film, etc. Still, I only took a few shots before giving up for 10 years. When I returned, I discovered web sites such as this one, it's been a lot more fun this time 'round.

At Jeffery Pine in Yosemite, I got talking to someone who had a 4x5 set up and awaiting sunset / moonrise. He was several hours early, so had plenty of time to explain it all to me. I also met someone with either an 8x10 or 11x14 (I think it was probably Clyde Butcher) on the same trip. I knew that day that I had found my tool and owned my first 4x5 shortly thereafter.

I started out when canon made the first digital slr, the original rebel. I got one of those and I was hooked! This was around junior year of high school and I carried that thing with me everywhere and was constantly taking photos. In college we did b&w 35mm and I moved up to a Mamiya C330. I eventually got a Mamiya 7 and then we had a 4x5 class at my school and since I took that it turned my world upside down. I couldn't believe the power of a view camera! I worked with 4x5 for a year, then dropped it and did 6x9 for a year and a half, then moved up to 8x10. Went back to 6x9 after a year and worked with that for a year and a half, then moved up to 5x7 a few months ago. I seem to always go back and forth between hand cameras and view cameras, they each suit a purpose and I enjoy both.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

all my life i have enjoyed looking at others photographs, never was much of a photographer myself, my thing was drawing and painting, i had a studio in the town where i lived at the time and i taught classes in different media, one day i thought that it would be a good idea to get some pictures of some things that i could draw or paint, so i bought myself a little point and shoot digicam it was like 4 mp and i paid about 400 bucks for it. so out i went with my digicam on the hunt, i set it on black and white mode, to make a long story short this is what got me interested in photography, i soon bought myself a canon film camera, some black and white film, that led to darkroom stuff, never even heard of large format at that time, i was one of those guys that if i saw you shooting a big camera, i would probably ask you if you can still get film for it. as time went on my photography journey led to the big stuff. large format had a huge learning curve for me but many thanks for the folks on here and apug for answering all the beginners questions i had, now it makes me feel good if im able to answer a question or two and help someone else that is just starting out. my camera of choice now is my calumet c1, long way from a little sony pocket digicam that i actually paid more money for than i did the 8x10. i actually enjoy shooting it with the 4x5 back that way i can use long lenses, i also have a 5x7 burke and james that i shoot often as well, btw this is a really good idea for a thread
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

I've only been shooting film now for 9 months. My first film camera was my RB67. Shortly after that, I jumped into 4x5.

Yep. I'm a newb.

Pretty much it.

I used 35mm in the 80's/90's and was curious about the LF gear I sometimes saw advertised for big bucks. I couldn't afford it. When the D100 came out, I bought into digital and photography was rekindled with the creative experimentation aided by the quick access to results from digital. Somewhere along the line I got bored of digital, having figured out it's challenges and sent away for my old unused TLR to be CLA'd. I was pleased to be reacquainted with the capture qualities of B&W film. For a challenge I got into LF because the gear was cheap enough to try, generally lightly used, and rich with history. Speed graphic, a couple lenses, 4x5 enlarger, B&J 8x10; just the start. Forums like this have very useful archives to search and helpful people to help. Youtube was also very helpful in showing processes and procedures.

It all started in the early 70s when an MPP outfit came up for sale for the reasonable sum of $70. It came with 3 lenses and a host of double dark slides. I tinkered with it for a couple of years then sold it as I the majority of my work was still being done with my Mamiya and Rollei TLRs. Fast forward to 2001 and a large windfall got me interested in a Linhof Technica outfit which was considerably more than $70. However I could not get on with it and bought a Kardan GT Monorail. This proved to be too large and heavy to carry in a backpack so I sold the Technica and mothballed the Kardan. In 2008 I bought a Shen Hao and finally started learning about LF. My journey ended in 2011 when I committed to a Walker Titan which is the camera I use most to this day.

Because large format cameras look like the cameras seen in the cartoons I grew up watching in the 1950s, it was destiny.
    As a toddler on an annual family vacation to Yosemite, my dad introduced me to Ansel Adams, who was giving a workshop at the Tunnel View and he had two LF cameras set up that really captured my attention (and Mr. Adams attention too---"Don't touch!") I also saw a few Graphics being wielded by reporters for the Fresno Bee and I had one class photograph in Jur. High made with a real gosh darn genuine Cirkuit camera. Decades later I was a Lt. in the Army Reserve on TDY at Ft Huachuca, AZ, overseeing the transfer of the Directorate of Industrial Operations from the military to a private contractor (Pan American World Services, IIRC) There were lots of little details to straighten out and one of them was car pooling with the base photographer, who was conducting a photographic survey of the industrial infrastructure, to a few remote locations. He was the first person I asked about using a view camera, and his response was "Just get one and do it." When digital drove down the prices for used cameras, I remembered his words and I've been having fun ever since.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White