Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storing Mounted 8x10 Lens

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Storing Mounted 8x10 Lens

How do you store your mounted 8x10 large format lens?

Currently I place my mounted 4x5 lens in Seagram’s 7 Crown Royal sacks and store them with the field cameras inside an aluminum case. The Seagram wraps are not ideal as they are constructed of soft cotton which imparts lint to the lens notwithstanding that all my lens are protected with caps. But the whiskey sacks keeps the scratches off in the backpack.

I know that I should get the Photobackpacker lens cases for the 4x5 lens as they would be similar to the Pentax soft cases that I use for my 67 lens. But the 8x10 lens on their boards (6”) are too large. Thus my question: What do you use?

Thomas

Re: Storing Mounted 8x10 Lens

I use lens wraps for my lenses(mounted to Sinar boards), ones like these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._16_Black.html

These particular ones I've linked to above are available in multiple colors, so its easy to keep lenses in order according to which color wrap goes with each lens...

-Dan

6"x6"6" cardboard boxes used for mailing. Lenses have lens caps on fore and aft and the mounted lens & board kept in individual ziplocks baggies. I can usually pancake three mounted lenses into a box
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Just Getting Started

I love my Domke padded lens wraps. They are available in multiple sizes and colors. I get them from Freestyle for $15 or so.

Just Getting Started

http://freestylephoto.biz/722196-Dom...ve-Wrap-Yellow is just a sample. Search freestyle for "Domke Lens Wrap"

Domke Lenswrap.

Photographer

Most of my 8x10 lenses are mounted on Linhof-type boards. I then use an adapter board on the 8x10 camera so the smaller boards can be mounted. The lenses then fit easily into cases (Gnass, fishing reel, or similar) for carrying in the field or while stored. The Linhof-type boards make a good "common deominator" that allow lenses to be used on any camera with an adapter board. You can find these boards inexpensively, maybe less than large lens wraps.
    Keith Pitman

I made a hinged-top wooden box that is sized so technika boards will slide into slots in the sides of the box. There's a set of slots every 1/2" so it will accommodate just about any configuration of lenses as long as the total length is under the box's 12" length. If I ever have more than 12 linear inches worth of lens I guess I'll make another one.

In a drawer.

No easy solution when you're back packing other than good old lens wrap. As for storage and transport on car and plane assisted shoots, I've done something similar as Chris ... I made slot dividers to fit my Technika and Sinar lens board and mount these in Pelican or similar cases.