Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentax Spotmeter V

Pentax Spotmeter V

I have an Asahi Pentax Spotmeter V and would like to replace all of the batteries.

My instruction manul gives good instructions for replacing the three G-13 mercury batteries, but there appears to be a 9 volt battery in the handle of the meter than I have no idea how to access. Can someone explain how I can replace the 9 volt battery?
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Pentax Spotmeter V

sandy,

are you sure? I thought it was only the older ones (pentax/honywell etc) that had the 9v

tim
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Pentax Spotmeter V

Tim,

No, I am definitely not sure. Perhpas I have one of the older ones, but the manual that came with my meter describes a Pentax Spotmeter V and in every respect, but for the nine volt battery, the manual accurately describes my meter.

The only marking on the meter itself say Asahi SPOTMETER Pentax, Asahi Opt. Co. , No. 47346/

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Pentax Spotmeter V

My V is marked with V following the word Spotmeter on the top name plate. I'm using Energizer 357 batteries.

Pentax Spotmeter V

sandy - the manual mentions the 9v battery?

There is a (not veyr good copy) of the spotmeter manual on the pentax site, http://www.pentaxusa.com/docstore/index.cfm?show=6 (at the bottom)

which just mentions the 3x 1.5v batteries no other batteries.

As I say, some of the early pentax spotmeters (can't remeber how they were numbered spotmeter 1/21, III etc) had a 9v battery - perhaps some of the earlier spotmeter v's did as well? Maybe you have a newer spotmete with an older manual?

kinda guessing though...

this is how it worked in the spotmeter III (scroll down)

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/spotmeter_iii/spotmeter_iii.htm
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Pentax Spotmeter V

On the older 21/1, there is a small tab next to the mercury battery compartment. Push it counter-clockwsise, the whole mercury battery compartment can be lift out, exposing the entrance for the 9V battery. But 21/1 only takes one mercury battery. Not sue about the V though.

Pentax Spotmeter V

Sandy,

I believe the above information is correct about the early ones having a now difficult to find 9volt. My memory also suggests that at one time there was an adapter available that would allow it to tale the three 357 batteries. Of course my memory is notoriously bad also.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Pentax Spotmeter V

I have the same meter number 69447 and it has a 9v battery. I never had any trouble finding this kind of battery.

Pentax Spotmeter V

Nothing like an excuse to dismantle a perfectly functioning spot meter on a Sunday morning. Doh.

The posts above are quite correct. The Pentax Spotmeter V has no additional battery in the handle, only those accessed by the 'coin screw' in the base of the handle, the three mini 1.5V batteries ( Everyread A76 in mine). My meter seems to be an earlier model than yours Sandy (132893) so I'm sure that this will be the same for you.

Now for the more adventurous types, here's a few good things to know about the Spotmeter V's assembly. The metering dial on the outside does not have any screws hidden behind it. If you take the dial off you'll discover that the last (or rather first) component of its assembly is attached with 'free' nuts on the inside of the case. (Do this and you committed to a complete disassembly to put the dial back on: the 'doh' part). The grey plastic case (the rear portion is grey and it comes away from black portion, holding the lens and trigger, at the front) is held in place in three places: (1) by a screw under the serial number plate, (2) the eyepiece flange and (3) a tab in the moulding top and center. The serial number plate is recessed into the plastic and difficult to remove without scratching, be gentle. The eyepiece requires a spanner wrench, though I managed (very carefully) without.

It's all back together and functioning perfectly, whew.

Nathanael

Pentax Spotmeter V

My Spotmeter, whatever it may be called, has a battery compartment on the bottom that can be accessed by turning with a screw. This compartment contains one large cell, a PC640A. It is round, about 16 mm in diameter and about 10 mm long. There is also a 9-volt battery in the handle. I can see it but can not figure how to get it out because the latch on the bottom won't permit it to fall out. I assume that the bottom plate can be removed to allow the battery to fall out but I can not see how to do this.

Also, would anyone know if three A-76 type cells could replace the one PC640A?