Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoflex vs Harrison-worth the extra cost?

Photoflex vs Harrison-worth the extra cost?

Much has been said about the Harrison changing tents- But how good is the current model by Photoflex? They once were NOT guaranteed light tight, and were said to be difficult to set up. Has this changed? There doesn't seem to be as many negative comments about them now.If these problems have been adressed, do the Harrisons justify their higher price tags? Has anyone got comments on the current two types? Thanks in advance- Mike

I have been using the photoflex for the last year and a half and it works wonderfully. The caveat, though is that I only use it at home and I don't collapse it when storing.

Mike,

I have a couple of Photoflex "Changing Rooms" and they work fine. I bought the second one because it was a new model and an improvement on the previous with regard to folding. I have travelled overseas with them, changing film both in my room at night and out in the field in daylight. Never a problem.

As I recall you are in Oz. Correct? Mine are too small for me now since I only need changing facilties for 8x10 these days. If you're interested you could let me know and I'd gladly consider flogging you one.

Octogenarian

Hi Mike,

Yes, in my humble opinion, the Harrison film changing tents do justify their higher price tags. I have used various changing bags and tents since 1948. The Harrison Pup Tent, that I have been using for over ten years, is the best one I have ever used. From the design and quality of materials standpoint, it's well worth the price. I thought that it was too expensive when I bought mine, but I now realize that, when it comes to photo equipment, you only get what you pay for.

I can speak for the Photoflex only. I have used one lightly for a while now. Think I bought it about a year ago.

On the plus side, it is the easiest thing to use. You pull on the two tabs, it's open. Push the two tabs together, it's closed. Comes with a very nice carry bag. Light, works very well, and is just barely big enough to handle 8x10. It helps to put the darkslides in the correct way before loading and not pull them all the way out when you do load/unload. It's tight, but it works. The bag is just big enough for me to get 3 boxes of 8x10 (25 sheet) film in along with the tent.

The negative side. I doubt it would stand up to hard use. It consists of four rings that fold into themselves. This puts a lot of friction on the place where two of the rings are pushed in when folded. I already have some wear at the juncture point. Although I would have to say that if it did finally wear through, it would be an easy and external repair...

I plan on buying a Harrison someday ;-)

My suggestion: If you plan on using it a lot and can afford it, get the Harrison. If you plan on doing a lot of 8x10, get the Harrison. If you don't want to spend that much money or are going to lightly use it, the Photoflex works great and should last quite a while. During that time, you can save the money for the Harrison!

I have tried most changing bags over the years, even the blow up type - very good but limited in size. Last year I bought a Harrison 'Tent' complete with poles! I found it the best for all sizes of film up to and including 5X4. I my opinion, for medium and 5x4 formats go for the medium size, and, yes they are well worth the money. I do not have shares in the Harrison Company, pity.

All I can say is that Photoflex is an excellent tent. I've not used the Harrison but would easily recommend the Photoflex. Is Harrison's double price worth it? Is BMW worth it over a Honda? It all depends on where you belong.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

For 8x10, which is the best Harrison model?

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten........ ....................................... Frank....Get the largest size Harrison makes....It is the one I use for my 8x10 and it beats anything I have messed around with in the past. Yes, it broke my heart to part with the $$$ but after a year of use I wouldn't have anything else at any price. Cheers.

Geos

I've had both makes of tents and currently have the biggest Harrison for my 8x10 system. Get the biggest Harrison!

George