Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Digital... Silver Gelatin Fiber prints from Digital Files!

Elevator Digital... Silver Gelatin Fiber prints from Digital Files!

I've heard about having digital files output to Silver Gelatin Fiber via a Lambda printer, so decided to try it out. I uploaded a file to the Elevator Digital website, and placed an order... Toned, silver gelatin print, on traditional fiber paper. The toning was warm shadows through to a selenium mid to high.

Simply put... the best digital prints I've seen. I've just placed an order for prints to hang at Photo LA at the Susan Spiritus Gallery booth.

Quality and Service were excellent.

I couldn't be happier! Thanks Bob!

Re: Elevator Digital... Silver Gelatin Fiber prints from Digital Files!

I doubt collectors can't tell the difference. I've only seen one of Bob's comparison prints in person and I could not tell which was printed on an enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I doubt collectors can't tell the difference. I've only seen one of Bob's comparison prints in person and I could not tell which was printed on an enlarger.
    it's becoming pretty irrelevant with the Galleries as to whether it's silver or inkjet... other than a description of the medium. The prices of prints have very little to do with the material on which they were made. It's of interest to me because of my own aesthetic, rather than how many more i'd sell.

They really are beautiful prints. I shoot with a variety of different cameras/formats.. One of my tests was to see what one of my D800E files would do (i hope its ok to mention.. the thread is more about the prints, than of this specific example. If this part is an issue, moderators, let me know and I'll edit it out). I usually crop square, and was able to get a 30x30" print done, with no digital artifacts showing, and without the image being 'mushy'. Maybe one of these day's i'll send in a 4x5 and have it printed 60x80.

Silver gelatin prints from a Lambda retired my inkjet. I'm a total convert.

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Inkjets will give you a wide gamut if you are into a lot of saturated color. But for B & W, this is where silver halide processing has a great advantage still. The image is made by exposing onto dyes embedded in the emulsion layer, so the coloring is continuous - none of that 'putting lots of little dots of ink' onto the paper to make a pixel look like it's a certain color. The surface of the paper actually IS that color (from a blending of the dyes) and it flows continuously throughout the image. Neat stuff.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

Are you referring to color or b/w silver gelatin prints? my understanding is that the silver gelatin surface is made up of light sensitive sliver, which behaves much differently than dyes

Quote Originally Posted by pherold View Post
    Inkjets will give you a wide gamut if you are into a lot of saturated color. But for B & W, this is where silver halide processing has a great advantage still. The image is made by exposing onto dyes embedded in the emulsion layer, so the coloring is continuous - none of that 'putting lots of little dots of ink' onto the paper to make a pixel look like it's a certain color. The surface of the paper actually IS that color (from a blending of the dyes) and it flows continuously throughout the image. Neat stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pherold View Post
    But for B & W, this is where silver halide processing has a great advantage still. The image is made by exposing onto dyes embedded in the emulsion layer, so the coloring is continuous - none of that 'putting lots of little dots of ink' onto the paper to make a pixel look like it's a certain color. The surface of the paper actually IS that color (from a blending of the dyes) and it flows continuously throughout the image. Neat stuff.
    The image in traditional B&W silver halide paper is made of silver. It has nothing to do with dyes. The paper used by Elevator Digital for the prints that Jim is describing are made via Lambda on a silver halide FB paper.

I have heard that Elevator does a good job. However they are in Canada. I get my real silver gelatin prints made at Digital Silver Imaging in Massachusetts www.digitalsilverimaging.com. Their prints are nothing short of amazing. They use Ilford Gallerie fiber, silver gelatin paper and Ilford RC in their black and white process. My friend Herbie Greene, http://www.herbgreenefoto.com/ a very well known rock photographer, uses them as well. DSI is printing a limited edition portfolio of b&w Led Zeppelin portraits Herbie did from their first tour of the US. Has any one else used Digital Silver Imaging?

I use DSI and I'm delighted with the results. I mess around with Pictorico High Gloss to try to make my own digital negs, but the results I've gotten from DSI blow away anything I've managed so far. Every time I open a package I'm relieved to see toned prints on baryta paper.

DSI only offers prints up to 20" wide, however, and Elevator goes to 30" wide. So the 8x10 negs I'm putting aside for scanning will probably end up going to Elevator.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaZ View Post
    I have heard that Elevator does a good job. However they are in Canada.
    Elevator does indeed do a wonderful job - but don't be discouraged that it is in Canada's largest city (Toronto).

The US shares one of the longest common borders in the world with Canada, and Canada has been its largest trading partner until quite recently. We both participate in NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement), and it is very easy for Americans to do business with Canada.

Elevator has many clients in the US, Europe, Asia etc. Doing business with Elevator is probably no more complicated than with any other out of state supplier.